The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Am I eatng to many carbs??

I usually take in about

165g Protein
    130g Protein
    45g Fat

However I sometimes end up with 150-160g of protein due to extra bread with tuna or something. Is 160 carbs per day to much while trying to gain LBW and keep off fat??

I eat between 1600-1700 calories per day and that is why I try to keep it around 130 carbs, but that is tough on some days.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

165g Protein
    130g Protein
    45g Fat

first off fix your typo

secondly, your eating 1600-1700kcals at a weight of 160lbs? Although formulas are crap, thats 10x bodyweight. I weigh 170 and am DIETING on 2300kcals. I think you need to up your protein, carbs and fat signifigantly if you want to gain any mass whatsoever.

The amount of carbs in your diet is really insignificant. Make sure that you are getting adequate protein and EFAs in your diet and then worry about overall calories, not carbs. Carbs are not evil

But don't they block fat from being burned?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    It's a misconception. Carbs are extremely important to daily function. In the book "Power Eating" they recommend 8 grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight. (take your weight in lbs., divide by 2.2 to get kilograms, and multiply that by 8). My number is 690 grams of carbs which I feel is a little on the high side for trying to lose fat. I try to get 450-500 and now that I do, I have started to lose fat.
    Last edited by Backdraft; 06-10-2003 at 06:14 PM.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong

carbs don't "block" fat from being burned, but when carbs aren't available, THEN fats and proteins are burned for energy instead

carbs aren't evil, you need them.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by Backdraft
    Carbs are extremely important to daily function. In the book "Power Eating" they recommend 8 grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight. (take your weight in lbs., divide by 2.2 to get grams, and multiply that by 8). My number is 690 grams of carbs which I feel is a little on the high side for trying to lose fat. I try to get 450-500 and now that I do, I have started to lose fat.
    You can function just fine without carbohydrates. Granted exercise performance might suffer (low glycogen levels) but as far as daily function they are not necessary. The body needs protein and EFAs hence the terms essential amino acids and essential fatty acids. There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate.

IMO formulas like the one described above would have most people well over maintenance calories. According to that formula my carbs are supposed to ~781

Just make sure that you are getting in adequate protein and EFAs and then if fill in the rest of your daily cals with carbs.

Insulin can block fat burning, but overall calorie balance at the end of the day is what determines if you lose weight. The amount of carbs you eat is insignificant assuming you are eating adequate amounts of protein and EFAs.

Bradley would be eating 3124 Calories just from carbs alone
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by Backdraft

It's a misconception. Carbs are extremely important to daily function. In the book "Power Eating" they recommend 8 grams of carbs per kilogram of body weight. (take your weight in lbs., divide by 2.2 to get grams, and multiply that by 8). My number is 690 grams of carbs which I feel is a little on the high side for trying to lose fat. I try to get 450-500 and now that I do, I have started to lose fat.

Mine said 589.... I would be a fukkin blimp if I ate that much.

How many calories do u eat per day?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Originally posted by bradley

Insulin can block fat burning, but overall calorie balance at the end of the day is what determines if you lose weight. The amount of carbs you eat is insignificant assuming you are eating adequate amounts of protein and EFAs.

At 162(I gained another pound)

How many EFA's do u think I need?

I try to get 25% of my total calories in EFA's, which is usually between 45-55.

Is that str8?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Wannabebig Member
    450 grams carbs x 4 cal/gram = 1800
    130 grams protein x 4 cal/gram = 520
    45 grams fat x 9 cal/gram = 405

2725 total calories, give or take.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong

Wannabebig Member
    you're gaining weight eating 1600 cals a day? holy moly

Is that str8?

-peace-
    try to get around 20-30% from fats. just that isnt much on a 1600 calories diet. in other words EAT MORE!

Originally posted by pinoy
    you're gaining weight eating 1600 cals a day? holy moly
    Thats my point. I was maintaining weight and gaining a little on 1500 calories per day. With the 1600-1700 I'm eating now I am gaining a lot. I have gained 5 pounds in the last 1.5 weeks. Around May 25 I was 156 and now I am 162 and I really haven't gained much on my waist. It doesn't take much at all for me to gain weight. That is why I can't eat more.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Your metabolism is probably crashed. Bump up your calories slowly... you probably maintain in the low-mid 2000's, but you are in conserve mode.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

How can I be in conserve mode when I eat every two hours and I am always full?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Is that str8?

25-30% of cals from fat is fine IMO, but you need to make sure that you are getting both omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Most people get plenty of omega 6 fatty acids through their diet, so I am sure you are getting plenty of those. Omega 3 fatty acids would come from things like oily fish (salmon for example), fish oil, flax oil, etc. Most people do not get adequate amounts of omega 3s in their diet which is why supplementing with fish oil or flax oil can be beneficial.

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

try to get around 20-30% from fats. just that isnt much on a 1600 calories diet. in other words EAT MORE!
    If he is gaining weight by eating 1600cals a day then I would recommend staying at that current calorie intake until he stops gaining weight. Just saying eat more when he is already gaining is just going to put on bf more than likely.

Slowly adding weight (LBM) will help increase his metabolism due to the increase in muscle mass.