The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: a pump?

Mystic Eric

a pump?

i was reading an article on flexonline, and it repeatidly said something along the lines of, "bodybuilding is training for a pump" "switching from low reps heavy weight, to higher reps and pump style bodybuilding" or something along the lines of those. so i was wondering, we all know that getting a pump or not doesn't mean getting strong OR bigger, where did this whole "pump" rational come from? and how come so many of the pro bodybuilders and other body builders so avidly practice this method that is wrong?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Go ask your pink bunny, big perm.

LMGDMFAOB

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

lol I think Arnold started it... And although I admire his physique and drive he was not the most intellectual guy on the specifics of training.. I am sure he could have been a bigger guy than he was if he was in his prime in this era training a little differently..

Also, wtf you doing reading Flex lol tuttut

I would not believe ANYTHING in a magazine that suggests you try Lee Priest's 20 set bicep routine for yourself.. They do say some silly things..

Also I would say the pro's have very little to do with the articles in those magazines, much of it is ghost written..

Mystic Eric

Re: a pump?

Originally posted by the terminator
    i was reading an article on flexonline, and it repeatidly said something along the lines of, "bodybuilding is training for a pump" "switching from low reps heavy weight, to higher reps and pump style bodybuilding" or something along the lines of those. so i was wondering, we all know that getting a pump or not doesn't mean getting strong OR bigger, where did this whole "pump" rational come from? and how come so many of the pro bodybuilders and other body builders so avidly practice this method that is wrong?
    notice how i said FLEXONLINE dannoe

ya, i know most of them are ghost written. but it pisses me off that joe weider is preaching out of his ass to other trainers such as teens and leading them to the wrong direction. i wanna know why the hell he still preaches this pump thing

and as for you powerman....
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 08-19-2001 at 02:55 AM.

I spent about 3 weeks of my life at elite trying to explain that the pump, in essence, means nothing.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

flexonline is flex...

The pump means blood has gone to your muscles and because there is really no mechanism responsible for bring blood back out of muscles, it stays there.

That's what the pump means - you have blood in your muscles.

decease, RIP
    And does blood do anything to help the muscle?

Ya.

It pumps it up.

I would say something about the fascia of the muscle.. but chris is gonna eat me alive.. so I'll keep my mouth shut

Not that I believe in that.. just taht it could be true.
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I wouldn't "eat you alive"tuttut . You're cool, and you don't act like an ass. Term, the pump feels good, thus it is an incentive to most people for training. It is psychologically good, and I think that is where the myth started. Remember when you first started training, was the pump not one of the biggest reasons you kept training? There may be something to be said for it physiologically, but right now I know of nothing.

Haha, fascia stretching...takes more than a simple pump to potentially stretch the fascia to abnormal levels.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 08-19-2001 at 07:53 AM.

ya ya.. cack.. of course... but to me it could make sense because I believe that muscle memory is because of the fascia stretching.. and lets say youre at your all time high of 15'' arms.. by getting good pumps.. you could slowly help to eventually stretch the fascia little by little.. ensuring quicker gains in the futur.
    Eat Tuna!
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I know all about muscle memory, fascia stretching may play a role, but it's not the main factor....

ah.. ok.. i just used muscle memory to help expain myself about how the pump could be beneficial.

btw.. what is the main factor in muscle memory... SNS adapation?
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Nah, the main factor would be increased nuclei count and IIX fibers. Nuclei are what support muscle growth, so more nuclei = more muscle growth. The MCH ("myosin heavy chain") IIX fibers multiply during detraining as a protection mechanism in case the stress of weight training is re-introduced. When you re-continue training these extra IIX fibers just turn into additional muscle fibers so you get more growth, this is how a break can increase your potential for muscle growth.....and is actually beneficial.

The CNS also de-optimizes, so you'll gain strength quickly when you come back due to the optimization period going over again...but that'sm nothing really special.

cool.. thank you.. very informative post for me.
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by Cackerot69
    The pump means blood has gone to your muscles and because there is really no mechanism responsible for bring blood back out of muscles, it stays there.

That's what the pump means - you have blood in your muscles.
    i know what the pump means. but i just wanted to know what merrits the fookers over at weider are using that it promotes muscle growth and how if you don't achieve a pump, your work out is crap

Mystic Eric
    oh and dan, if i didn't read flex, i wouldn't know how to have built my upper chest, and toned and chisled my body parts.