Thread: Setting up for DB bench method

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar

Setting up for DB bench method

Now that my muscle memory has kicked in, Im back to pressing 100lb DB. This is great but unfortunately Im having tremendous problems getting the two DB's onto my legs before I press. I train by myself now so no-one can help me out.

I have only just begun training at home, as such I have a new bench and the weights are all 'screw-on' DB's. This presents 2 problems...
    1) my bench is higher than what Im used to at my old gym, thus lifting it from the floor onto my knees before I lean back to press is much more difficult.
    2) as the DB's are screw-on (not welded) the end of the DB's really digs into my legs. I use 2 pieces of small,old flexible carpet on my legs with the DB's ontop of them, but its still a real pain in the ass.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the weight from the floor onto my legs? There has to be an easier way. This may seem like a small problem but Im using alot of energy lifting the pricks onto my legs, and cause the f*ckers are so heavy I cant 'set' them right before I fall back to press, thus my press suffers because the motion for that first press is all over the place and never the same.

My girlfriend suggested lastnight that I set up a mini stool or table right in front of me, put the weights onto that then somehow drag them onto my legs. This would save energy lifting them completely off the floor onto my legs.
    I dont have a smith machine or power cage so I cant have DB hooks. I dont have room for any of that.

How do people press 100+ pounds around here without killing themselves to get the DB's onto their legs?

any ideas?
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Buy new dumbells?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    personally, I sort of deadlift the DBs first,
    then sit down on the bench, putting the DBs on knees
    then 'kick' the DBs up to my shoulders
    then lean back into the inclined bench

as far as your issues with the end of the DBs poking you in the legs, could you simply tilt the DBs a bit so that the ends weren't directly poking into your quads?

alternatively, if you could find a way to get the DBs up to shoulder height in the arm-flexed position and THEN sit down, that might work... you'd have to use your imagination/ingenuity to find a way to set this up, I guess

I shoulda read your whole post and not just you subject line *hahah*

Originally I posted this:
    I think using db's over 80 lbs for anything besides shrugs and db rows is a big mistake, your asking for injury.

Jacking those things up for any kinda press puts strain on your wrists, your shoulder and your elbows

There is a reason they made bar bells

If you dont have a spotter then I suggest using a machine instead of free weights, or else just meet some people at the gym and ask for a spot.

My incline/flat/OH presses are
    115/130+/90
    and getting them up is rediculous AND dangerous and I've injured myself once just trying to get the damn things up, now I'm not being stupid anymore and I'm not playing with db's anymore

I have no suggestions for you...sorry.
    I'm useless
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 06-11-2003 at 10:11 PM.

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    Originally posted by Callahan
    personally, I sort of deadlift the DBs first,
    then sit down on the bench, putting the DBs on knees
    then 'kick' the DBs up to my shoulders
    then lean back into the inclined bench

as far as your issues with the end of the DBs poking you in the legs, could you simply tilt the DBs a bit so that the ends weren't directly poking into your quads?

alternatively, if you could find a way to get the DBs up to shoulder height in the arm-flexed position and THEN sit down, that might work... you'd have to use your imagination/ingenuity to find a way to set this up, I guess
    I used to kind of deadlift them when I was a member of a gym, that was when the DB's were on a rack and it did work well, but its more difficult now. Paul Stagg had a great suggestion, but the most obvious ideas arent always feasible.

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    I shoulda read your whole post and not just you subject line *hahah*

Originally I posted this:
    I think using db's over 80 lbs for anything besides shrugs and db rows is a big mistake, your asking for injury.

Jacking those things up for any kinda press puts strain on your wrists, your shoulder and your elbows

There is a reason they made bar bells

If you dont have a spotter then I suggest using a machine instead of free weights, or else just meet some people at the gym and ask for a spot.

My incline/flat/OH presses are
    115/130+/90
    and getting them up is rediculous AND dangerous and I've injured myself once just trying to get the damn things up, now I'm not being stupid anymore and I'm not playing with db's anymore

I have no suggestions for you...sorry.
    I'm useless
    You know Im starting to agree with you about the danger thing. I originally moved to DB's because BB pressing was putting too much strain on my shoulder, it always clicked really badly and DB pressing has always been a fluent, smooth natural motion for me, but now my elbows suffer a little.

My overhead press is a little under 80, and the difficulty in proping that up is enormous.. really really dangerous.
    Im starting to think if the homegym idea is now worth it :/
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Of the driver ilk
    I cheat curl them up. (really really really cheat curl). I walk back a step, then forward really fast and fling them up into position, then sit down.
    "42"

Xg74, how much can you cheat curl up?!

Yeah that's tough. I got the hex type. Makes life a lot easier.