The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A hopeful odyssey from skinny to big.

And it begins. It's terribly late and i'm actually quite bored, so I decided to start an online journal, to keep track of everything for myself, and also to show people the progress I hope to make over the grueling nothingness of summer time.

It's quite odd to start a journal on a wednesday, I know, being that it's the middle of a training week, but hey, what else do I have to do? The answer is nothing.tuttut

Since there is no training information to put in today, I will just give a bit of general info about myself for the benefit of others (if there are even people reading this hooplah.)

I am 20 years old, 6'2" and weighing in at a magnificent 160lbs. Now I know what you are thinking, Sweet mother of god. What is this kid doing with himself. That tall, and that light. How is he alive? And I understand the predicament we are in. How am I alive? Well folks, It's not as bad as it really sounds.. Well maybe compared to the folks in here it's bad, but personally I have grown to accept it.

I am quite skinny, but am in the midst of bettering myself through training. I began taking protein a few weeks ago to make up for the protein I highly assume I am missing in my meals, since I eat like sh*t (which will hopefully change very soon).

With all that past, tomorrow we rock out the shoulder and tricep workout, so I will begin posting the workout info, and maybe some sleep info just for kicks (although such a thing is pointless as I am a jobless bum, and thus sleep horrible hours - 3am--1pm ect.) It would appear Jeebus needs a bit of discipline in the sleep and diet jazz eh?

Well without further ado, I will be ending this post and awaiting the excitement of the day to follow. Good night ladies and gents, and I hope to hear comments (whether helpful or derogatory - it's all good times) from you kids at later points in time.
    Last edited by Jeebus; 06-11-2003 at 11:43 PM.
    Making love to Mother Thumb and her four daughters.

Join My Odyssey

They're old enough to drive they're old enough to get driven. - VitalRemains
    Mmmmm twins. Double the pleasure double the fun, look out girls cause here I come! - VR Again
    From the pages of our Lord and Savior, Jeebus :alcoholic

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

let me be the first to say

good luck on the journal bro!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Starting a journal is the right step. Go get something to eat. If you don't have a job then the only 3 things you should be doing is eating, sleeping, and training. In that order of priority.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 06-12-2003 at 07:09 AM.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Re: A hopeful odyssey from skinny to big.

Originally posted by Jeebus
    I am 20 years old, 6'2" and weighing in at a magnificent 160lbs. Now I know what you are thinking, Sweet mother of god. What is this kid doing with himself. That tall, and that light. How is he alive?
    LMAO!!
    <------- here eat this bro, and many more!

Good luck with your goals bro. What does your "normal" diet consist of?
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Hey Jeebus, welcome to journal land! I hope you're ready to rock it on with the shoulders and tris today. You better not be asleep as I'm writing this. Its 12:13 and you should be eating something right now.

It would appear Jeebus needs a bit of discipline in the sleep and diet jazz eh?
    You should set some short term goals for yourself. This will help you stay focused and give you something to shoot for. I, for instance, am hoping to hit 160lbs before I leave for school.

Anyway, see ya at the gym later and good luck with the journal and any goals you set for yourself!

Good luck Jeebus!

Eat eat eat eat...

"Save me JEEBUS!"

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Thanks alot for all the input guys. And I know, eat like a mother fudger. Its just that i will need to be awake earlier from now on. I just peeled myself out of bed like 10 minutes ago. Good ol' 1:47pm.

I believe I will go up now and try to find something to devour. Again, thanks for all the input and the eating peer pressure . I'll do my best.

The Thursday journal entry will be posted later tonight if any one cares to see it.

Join My Odyssey

Mmmmm twins. Double the pleasure double the fun, look out girls cause here I come! - VR Again

Re: Protein. Don't just make whey shakes all the time; stock up on canned tuna and skim milk, and consume those throughout the day.

Welcome to the WBBSA, by the way! 6'2" @ 160 sounds painful.

Originally posted by Scott S
    Welcome to the WBBSA, by the way! 6'2" @ 160 sounds painful.
    Thanks for the welcome, and yes it is terribly painful , But you know, I'm working on it, so let's see where we are in a few months.

Now to the journal entry :

Today I ended up peeling myself out of bed at around 20 minutes to 2. I had a terrible night last night, rolling around all night and waking up almost every 30 minutes, so you understand where I'm coming from I hope.

Didn't really eat much today. A few oatmeal bars, two chicken burgers, a box of ****ty kraft dinner, and I'm in the middle of a natty pb sammich with bananas on whole wheat bread (which is probably the healthiest thing i have ever eaten). But i'm going to try to start eating like someone in my shoes should eat. It may take me some time as I need to convince the folks into buying all this expensive healthy food for me. Mmmmm, this sammich is great.

As for the work out today. It went pretty good. My shoulder started eating me alive after my dumbell presses (which was the first bloody exercise, but what can ya do i guess) But I ended up getting through it fully, so thats good.

Shoulders

DB Press 40lbs x 8, 45lbs x 8, 40lbs x 8
    BB Press 85lbs x 8, 85lbs x 8, 85lbs x 8
    Upright Rows 65lbs x 12, 65lbs x 12
    Back Press 100lbs x 12, 100lbs x 12

Triceps

Dips BW x 8, BW x 8, BW x 8 (Gonna add weight next week)
    Kickbacks 25lbs x 8, 25lbs x 8, 25lbs x 8
    One Arm Reverse Pulldowns 5kg x 12, 5kg x 12
    One Arm Tricep Ext. 15lbs x 12, 15lbs x 12

Shrugs 73lbs x 8, 73lbs x 8, 73lbs x 8

It wasn't all in all a horrible day if you look at the fact that I have a lot of trouble with my shoulders, (which ends up making the dips quite difficult) and I ended up throwing shrugs back into the mix after a few weeks without doing them for some reason.

Tomorrow is back and calves day and I hope to have a good one. My back is one of the areas I really need to work on (not necessarily in weight, but in size) so I enjoy working it.

Hopefully soon I can get a front and back picture slammed into this journal so I will be able to see what I hope will be a visible change over the course of the next few months. As a side note, when the pictures are posted, try to refrain from the neccesary mocking please .

Until next time folks, thanks for reading.

Join My Odyssey

nice workout bro. the only thing i can suggest is replace the Tricep Kickbacks with some close-grip bench presses and/or some skull crushers. just my .02
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

:withstupi

Replace those kickbacks. What is a back press? Is that like a military or overhead press with a barbell? Session looks good bro, keep it up!
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Nice workout Jeebus McChrist!

Tomorrow is back and calves day and I hope to have a good one. My back is one of the areas I really need to work on (not necessarily in weight, but in size) so I enjoy working it.
    I like some aspects of back day. Deadlifts are always good for a laugh. Chinups I hate hate HATE. But in sort of a good way though I guess. Maybe. You should give the Deads a shot today. Nothing works your back and builds mass like good old Deadlifts.

Hopefully soon I can get a front and back picture slammed into this journal so I will be able to see what I hope will be a visible change over the course of the next few months.
    I'd like some pictures to go by also. I wish I had some since I started just to see what changes I could find. We should get some done up one day. Do you still have that didgital camera?

Anywho, you best be up out of bed by now. See ya at the gym sir.

Ya i think i will be trying the deadlifts and chin ups today too. give em a shot anyway.

And pops still got the digital camera, so just remind me.. I forget easily.

Thanks for the support everyone. More posts later. Time for me to apply for a job. Wish me luck

Join My Odyssey

Originally posted by JustinF
    What is a back press? Is that like a military or overhead press with a barbell?
    Back press is on the pulldown machine, its just pulling the bar behind your neck. It was the first time I tried it yesterday, and it was suprisingly fun and painful. Good times
    Last edited by Jeebus; 06-13-2003 at 10:43 AM.

Join My Odyssey

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    nice workout bro. the only thing i can suggest is replace the Tricep Kickbacks with some close-grip bench presses and/or some skull crushers. just my .02
    Thanks for the input, and I think I might start trying the close grip bench. I tried a run at skull crushers yesterday and found them very uncomfortable. Part of my elbow kept popping. Not good.

Join My Odyssey

Ahh, the ever enjoyable back day. Who can do without it? You better not be able to.tuttut

All in all it was a good day, I ended up getting a logical amount of sleep (3:30am to 12:00pm), which was a good thing. But then we proceed to speaking about the diet. We will be tsking Jeebus in a minute when we hear what he ate today : pb & banana sandwich on whole wheat, an oatmeal bar, and some chicken and potatoes. I know, it's barely any food for someone who wants to put on weight, but half the time, im not even thinking about whats going on, so that's a downfall I have to fix.

The work out went very well actually, but I had to leave early (I don't have a vehicle and all the other kids were done their shiat) so I didnt get to work calves. But what follows is the back and ab workout that was completed.

Back

Standing Lat Pulldowns 50lbs x 3 x 8

These are good exercises that I enjoy, but I find it tends to make a few select vertebrea very uncomfortable. Maybe it's just the way im positioned. Have to look into that at some point.

Bent Over Rows 115lbs x 8, 125lbs x 8, 130lbs x 8

I was impressed with this. Ordinarily, I used to only be able to get 115lbs, But i went up another 15lbs and got all 8 reps. I was pleased.

Sumo Deadlifts 135lbs x 8, 165lbs x 8, 180lbs x 8

This is the first time I have ever done deadlifts, and I can't stress enough how much I thoroughly enjoyed them. Good ol's wibble said that since I am tall (mostly in the leg area) I should try the sumo style, and I liked them very much. I'm going to keep these in my regular routine.

Back Ext. 50lbs x 12, 50lbs x 12

What can I say about back extensions? They get the job done? I don't know. It would be possible to use more weight, but the next plate size weight that could be used for this exercise is 100lbs. I don't really want to die. Not today anyway.

Abs

Decline(maybe incline) Crunches 40lbs x 10, 45lbs x 10, 45lbs x 10

Not much to say about ab exercises. They are good? Clowns are horrifying? Who does what now?

Pulldown Crunches 90lbs x 20, 90lbs x 20 <-- 10 left, 10 right

See above

And that was my workout. I was kind of pissed that I didn't get to do calves, but I'm used to it by now. Some of the kids tend to skip stuff often. It's kinda shatty, but what can I do? I need to get home.

Well that's it for todays information. Try not to get upset about the food intake. I will force wibble to buy me food. And if he doesnt.....

Thanks for reading kids, and I'll keep ya all updated.

Join My Odyssey

I could buy all the food you wanted but you'd just sleep in and it would spoil. I would have waited for you to do your calves if you had mentioned it. I coulda busied myself with more Ab work or something. Nice workout though, good job on the Rows especially!

Thanks wibble. I would wake up earlier if I had anything to do besides eat. I would just sit here like an a-hole trying desperately not to smash my head against a wall. As can be seen in the previous smiley photograph.

Ya I know you would of waited, but I hate making people wait for me when I have such a long workout. Anyway, I know for next time . I'll talk to you in a bit anyway. See ya sir.

And I was quite pleased with the turn around of those Rows.

Join My Odyssey

nice job man. im glad you like the sumo-deads. one suggestion, i usually try to do DL's first since they seem to take the most energy for me to try to do.

great job man!

Thanks GhettoSmurf. Maybe I will start trying the DL's first. That way I can throw on some more weight and hope for the best

Join My Odyssey

Nice workout. I agree with GS 'bout putting the deads first. I have tried both sumo and regular style deadlifts, and being a tall guy like you (I am 6' 5 1/2") I much prefer the sumo's as well.
    My journal

Monday, June 16th, 2003 - Chest, Biceps, Abs

Well the new entry into the journal of the skinniest man on the planet is up and ready to be enjoyed. The weekend was quite uneventful, nothing much happened, played some soccer, some basketball, and got to hang out with the lady-friend alot (that was good times my friends)

Today's diet sucked ass i imagine. A few oatmeal bars, no time for lunch (running around), and 2 chicken breasts and a salad at supper. Thats it so far. I know. EAT YOU MOTHERFUDGER!!!! and I am going to go shopping with the mother this week sometime and pick up lots of good **** for myself, so starting next week, im aiming for 2500+ cals a day. Wish me luck folks.

Sleep was good times. I was up quite late writing a new story (I write) so I couldnt sleep until that bastard was done. I ended up falling asleep at around 2:00 i suppose. Then good ol' Wibble woke me up at 20 to 12. I guess its an acceptable time to awake. Maybe.

Before I start to write down today's training, I will let you all know that I have set up some goals for myself. They arent extreme, and if I stick to a plan, they should be easily attained. The first goal is to actually start eating right by waking up at a normal human time, and try to devour (like i said above) 2500+ cals a day, at least. The second goal is to try to gain about 10lbs by the end of the summer. It will only bring me up to 170lbs approximately, but i want to be realistic about my goals, so I dont want to hope for too high.

And now the day's embarrasement.

Chest

Flat Bench 135lbs x 6, 135lbs x 5, 135lbs x 6

When I did my first rep of this bloody exercise, my shoulders started to eat me alive. I'm embarrased by how little I can bench, and I've been on this for like 2 or 3 weeks. I'd like to have my 3 sets of 8 reps by the end of june. Hope for the best i guess.

Decline Bench 125lbs x 8, 130lbs x 8, 135lbs x 7

This went better than it usually does. Normally i tend to stick to 125lbs, but I decided I wanted to up the anty and go for more weight. I went up 10lbs which pleased me quite a bit.

Incline Bench 75lbs x 8, 85lbs x 8, 85lbs x 6

Goddamn I hate incline. I am so bloody weak in this as can be clearly seen in the weight I use. I want to change is to something else, but I'm not sure what I should do.

Pec Deck 47.5kg x 8, 55kg x 8, 55kg x 8

Not much to say about this. It's just a random exercise to do. Maybe someone can recommend something else to do.

Biceps

DB Curls 35lbs x 8, 40lbs x 6, 40lbs x 5

Normally I only do 35lbs on curls, but I ended up testing out 40lbs and wasnt entirely displeased.

Hammer Curls 30lbs x 6, 25lbs x 7

Bloody ****ing hammer curls. My left arm is nearly impossible to raise at all. @)*%^@%@#%

Spider Curls 22.5lbs x 10, 22.5lbs x 10

Not much to say about these. Might try 25lbs next week. My arms were real tired by this point for some reason so I didnt get all 12 reps.

Reverse Curls 25lbs x 10, 25lbs x 12

I like this exercises. Went up 5 lbs from last week. good times

Abs

Weighted Decline Crunches 45lbs x 10, 45lbs x 10, 45lbs x 10
    Rope pulldowns 90lbs x 20, 90lbs x 20

Nothing to say about abs. They get done,.

And that was my day. Nothing special. Went up in decline, pec deck, and db curls, so i wasnt completely pissed. Only somewhat angry.

Until next time.

Join My Odyssey

I think you may be doing too much volume for your chest. There's really no need to do flat, incline, and decline bench. I'd keep it to a flat and incline. Maybe throw in some decline or incline DB Flyes if you feel like 3 exercises isn't enough. I do three for my chest and at the end of those 3, my chest is sufficiently thrashed and I couldn't do another set of anything if I wanted to. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and EAT DAMMIT!!!
    My journal

Would it be bad if i didnt do the bloody incline? Just flat, decline, and maybe some flys? Incline is my most hated exercise.

Or should I keep it in, since it is so weak?

Join My Odyssey

Nice workout there Jeebus, good job on the Bicep Curls. You'll catch me on those in no time! Nice going on the Decline as well.

I'd keep the Incline if I were you. I think I read somewhere that Flat and Decline are pretty much the same movement but Incline is a bit different. Flys would be a good exercise to replace the Decline IMO. Anyways I'm talking to you on ICQ at this exact moment so...*poof*