Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol

Alcohol

I am trying to figure out which would have less calories because I am cutting right now.

Now, let's say that I drink Miller Lite which is my beer of choice. This beer has 96 cals for 12oz.

A typical night would generally consist of 12 - 15 Miller Lites. That is approximately 144 - 180oz, which is 1152 - 1440cals.

I have been trying to figure out the caloris value on typical hard alcohols likes vodka, rum, whiskey, etc, but I have been having some difficulties. I know that alcohol has 7 cals/g, but how would you calculate the calories for a 750ml(fifth) of vodka which is 40% alcohol. Does this mean that there is 300ml of vodka in the whole fifth? If so, how can I convert the ml to g? Is there a certain concentration that a typical alcohol has?

I know I *shouldn't* drink, but I am gonna so I decided I might as well make the best out of it by drinking the most healthy.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    eww I hate Lite beer...its piss water, if you're gonna drink why not go all out and get something high quality like Shiner or Yingling
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

OK, I have been figuring this up and found out that a 40% alcohol has about 50 cals per oz. 1oz = 29.5ml so there is 25.4 oz in a 750ml(fifth) of hard alcohol which is 1270 cals in a 750ml(fifth) of hard alcohol.

I guess I answered my own question.
    "I will contend that, given sufficent protein and EFA's, you can get ripped on table sugar." --Lyle Mcdonald

"Not every user is the huge acne infested freak at your local gym," he said. "You'd be surprised at who your average steroid user is. He's that guy next door who has a wife, a few kids, and is taking medication to take his body beyond his genetic limitations. I'm ashamed to live in a society where men and women can have fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips, but when they inject a medicine that is perfectly legal in many countries, they're just considered villains." --Jeff Wilmoth

Originally posted by JustinASU
    eww I hate Lite beer...its piss water, if you're gonna drink why not go all out and get something high quality like Shiner or Yingling
    I would much rather have something else too, but this is the reason that I went to lite beers in the first place because of the calories.

The way I hear it, most hard liquors are about 80kcal/ounce.

1 ounce = 28ml = 11.2ml alcohol (80 proof) = 78.4 calories. That's a decent guide.. and most shots are a little over an ounce, so figure 100 kcal/shot.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I'm not much for shots, so the thought has to come to mind that why don't I just buy some everclear and just put a little in something with no calories like diet coke?
    "I will contend that, given sufficent protein and EFA's, you can get ripped on table sugar." --Lyle Mcdonald

"Not every user is the huge acne infested freak at your local gym," he said. "You'd be surprised at who your average steroid user is. He's that guy next door who has a wife, a few kids, and is taking medication to take his body beyond his genetic limitations. I'm ashamed to live in a society where men and women can have fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips, but when they inject a medicine that is perfectly legal in many countries, they're just considered villains." --Jeff Wilmoth

how about, no alcohol stick to good ol' water
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    how about, no alcohol stick to good ol' water
    Hey! I said I HAD to drink. I know there would be a cocktart that would say that.

ah hellz naw ghetto smurf, people can unwind after a busy week with a few beers, but 15 seems a bit excessive unless you are a frat boy like me...i switched to liquor...
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    just drink what you want dude. I just make the day I drink my cheat day. I wat healthy all day.... usually about 1400 calories and lots of protein, then I have about 7-10 beers. I don't usually get light beer ethier unless it's Amstel. U get whatever beer I want and even though I probably take in 2500 calories on that day it doesn't fukk me up cuz it's only one day a week(ok, sometimes two:alcoholic)

Just enjoy your night of drinking and eat good every day of the week. Also drink as much water as your bloated belly can handle before bed so you can work out the next day without having a bad headache, being dizzy, or hugging a bowl

If you do it that way I think you'll be str8. I've made good gains and I drink every weekend.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Sorry I am late. What Belial said is right 80-90 cals for an ounce of hard alcohol. So if beer is your chouse 16 cals isn;t much of difference. I would just drink what I like. When drinking hard alcohol the mix is big thing. I don't use a lot so it isn't to bad.
    Sometimes I wonder if beer makes me retain a little water, from the sodium. I am not on a low sodium diet, but I don't add much to my food either.
    For me it seems red wine has worked good. Probably all in my head or drinking habits. It is stronger, and taste good so I drink it faster, and probably drink less.
    If I was cutting I would cut back on the days I drank. You can still drink just realize it will slow you up, same as eating a pizza would. So if your not training for a certain date, go ahead and have a few.
    Personally I feel one of the keys when drinking is eating good. It so easy to crap and do it right before bed. I lost weight when I cut out the 2:00 am frozen pizza and ramen noodles I ate in college. I still think eating something is a good idea.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Ace
    Hey! I said I HAD to drink. I know there would be a cocktart that would say that.

AA

Originally posted by restless

AA

Drinking is good for the soul.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    No it isn't, my father is an alcoholic (and so am I) and I assure you it did nothing good for our spirits, minds and bodies.
    Last edited by restless; 06-08-2003 at 03:15 PM.

If you have to drink, hard liquor gets you drunker quicker, so you shouldn't need as much to get messed up, right..... Less alchy equals less cals.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

I went out to a club a few night ago for the first time in months and I drank water (you can imagine the reaction). I didn't want the alcohol to affect my progress in the gym. But people in bars don't understand that...I'm gonna stop going out
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Originally posted by HORNEDFROGS07
    If you have to drink, hard liquor gets you drunker quicker, so you shouldn't need as much to get messed up, right..... Less alchy equals less cals.
    You just have to watch what you mix the hard liquor with. If you are taking shots then yes you would probably end up taking in less calories but if you are mixing it with Coke or something simliar then you will be taking in quite a bit more.

Originally posted by restless
    No it isn't, my father is an alcoholic (and so am I) and I assure you it did nothing good for our spirits, minds and bodies.
    There is a point where it gets a little too much, but I am not near that point yet. It is still in good fun.

Originally posted by ennui
    im working on my diet.. but i drink about 3-5 nights a week (i work for a .com) and when i drink its usually about 15-25 Guiness Drafts (the new snazzy ones in the bottle...)

mmm... mothers milk
    Cutting back on the drinking would help tremendously with the cut.

holy sh*t. you drink 15-25 guinness's 3-5 nights a week?

i'm scared of you.

now wonder so many .coms went down the toilet. *lol*
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Banned
    Originally posted by bradley

Cutting back on the drinking would help tremendously with the cut.

find a drug that has no calories and use that instead.

word.

Banned
    word.

that's why i became a pothead in college. actually it was because drinking made me puke, and smoking didn't.

Country Boy
    Just smoke crack w/ the drinks.I've never known an overweight crackwhore.