The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Should ALL grains be eliminated from the diet?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 9.09%
  • No

10 90.91%

Thread: Grains are bad?

Wannabebig Member

Grains are bad?

Ive read two or three compelling articles speaking against ANY grains. they say their high glycemic index hurts protein digestion, raises insulin levels out of control, and, well heres one of the articles. http://www.dolfzine.com/page334.htm
    I've also read that they can lead to heart disease.

with all this information in mind, should ALL grains (including rice and oatmeal) be banned from the diet completely?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I went with a big no there bud. I am just completely against completely removing thing's from my diet.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

I love my oats.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

The Tuna Tempter
    I'm really undecided on this topic. I was actually just reading about this a few minutes before coming across this thread. Check out this site if you haven't already: www.beyondveg.com
    Life's too short to be small

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Ok meat is bad... grains are now bad.... WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EAT? You know how hard it would be to just get your maintaince calories on such a diet. People are stupid.
    w00t

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Now that I read the article I can say firmly this guy is an idiot.

Insulin is an anabolic hormone for both muscle and fat building. But this is only the first of many problems.
    Who wants to build muscle... not me....

Then the guy goes on to tell you to never eat carbs (non fruit source) and protien together...
    w00t

WTF that guy is on crack.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Grains are not as innocent as everyone thinks they are. Beyondveg is a good place to learn from it and so is this place:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles.htm

check out the 16. Cordain L. Cereal grains: humanity’s double edged sword. World Rev Nutr Diet 1999; 84:19-73 article.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    Without wholegrains, id be putting my digestive system at risk as well as queuing up for a nice big bucket of rectal cancer.
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer
    Without wholegrains, id be putting my digestive system at risk as well as queuing up for a nice big bucket of rectal cancer.
    It's amazing mankind managed to survive without them for millions of years then, since they're such an essential food isn't it?

Whole grains have their particular issues, namely the high phytate content which causes impaired mineral absorption in populations that have a large percentage of their calories from them, like vegetarians. It's one the reasons vegetarians usually have low iron stores, even when they meet the RDA via non heme iron.

What was the lifespan of a human millions of years ago??

Im pretty sure very few ever reached there 40s and 50s or had enuff time to develop illnesses from having a poorly maintained digestive system.

We will never know!

Wannabebig Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer

Im pretty sure very few ever reached there 40s and 50s or had enuff time to develop illnesses from having a poorly maintained digestive system.

We will never know!
    [/QUO

whether you're christian or athiest, there is still proof that characters in the bible existed. Any athiest who studies history will tell you this, and will also point out that a lot of these figures lived to be over two hundred years old. But according to scripture, they ate lots of bread, meat, and drank wine! Here is a good link if you've heard of dave draper. http://www.dolfzine.com/page461.htm

he seems to be very healthy and eats grains in meal one and two. Reading from dolfzine.com has several articles from different opinions contradicting each other, which leads me to figure that diet should still be taken seriously, but not ULTRA seriously. I saw a thread that urges people when to eat carbs, proteins, and fats during they're meals with a bunch of calculating to do to get the right carbs:fats, protein ratio. THATS JUST GOING TOO DAMN FAR!

My decision is to eat grains in moderation. All i have is oatmeal in the second meal and a rice cake after work(which is a pretty aerobic job with all the walking) about 1-2 hours before martial arts. This is why i made the poll to see how many opinions i can get on this topic. So keep em coming!
    Last edited by mindburnt; 06-15-2003 at 08:15 AM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer

We will never know!
    They had a similar lifespan to current hunther gatherer populations and also had a very high violent deaths rate from fights and due to the many predators. THey still avegared around 35 years old, which when you take into consideration the high number of borndeads means that some of them reached a relatively old age.

Grains are not necessary in any way and have plenty of nutrional shortcomings and inconveniences.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    And for the record, I didn't vote because they was no in between option. I do eat some, but I do believe that they should be eaten in moderation.

mind-

i was kind of referring to about 1+ million years ago-

not 5-7 thousand years ago
    -covering biblical period, and excluding adam and eve which is pretty fictional and is sposed to be based about the begging of time isnt it? when god spent about 4 days making earth and only 3 days making the rest of the universe plus the moon and sun.

I understand mortality rates would increase gradually over time but i still think man ate more than just animals for several million years. After all we did evolve as omnivores, and we obviously mustve had a few plants on days when the antelope were a bit fast for us.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...light=alkaline

The above thread is in reference to the first article posted

IMO grains are helpful and should not be excluded from a bodybuilding diet, although I agree that they are far from essential. I personally follow a moderate carb diet and it would be hard for me to get enough carbs from veggies and fruits alone. I think there are a lot more harmful things in the average diet besides grains.
    Last edited by bradley; 06-15-2003 at 11:12 AM.