The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

How do you count calories?

I have never counted calories. I always just eat alot and stop when I'm full. I would think that I eat about 2,500 calories a day but for all know I could really be taking in alot less or alot more than that.

I want to start eating 3,000 calories a day as my bulking diet and I intend to count every calorie so I know EXACTLY how many calories I eat a day.

For drinks like milk and whey protein its easy because all you need is a measuring cup and to read the labels.

But what if I eat an apple or a bannana or say I go to the store and buy a sub with all the fixings on it? Do I weigh it? What if I order take out chinese food, how am I supposed to know how many calories there are in it?

Should I buy a special scale?

Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    www.fitday.com
    i second that notion.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Re: How do you count calories?

Originally posted by OiBoy
    I have never counted calories. I always just eat alot and stop when I'm full.
    If I did that, I'd probably hit the 5000+ calorie mark every day.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I (generally) only eat things I can measure. Cups of oatmeal, cans of fish, mililiters of milk, etc. That means sitting down and measuring *everything* before I eat it and recording it in my notebook. I even weighed my PB&J sandwiches as I put the peanut butter and jelly on them! (Now I know about how much to put on.) Every day, I count up the calories and protein as I eat them. Works pretty well. Hope this helps.

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    An electronic kitchen scale is a very very handy utensil to have!
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Re: How do you count calories?

Originally posted by OiBoy
    But what if I eat an apple or a bannana or say I go to the store and buy a sub with all the fixings on it? Do I weigh it? What if I order take out chinese food, how am I supposed to know how many calories there are in it?

Should I buy a special scale?

Thanks!

I usually use a scale to measure out portions of meat and some starches like potatoes, etc. I usually don't worry to much about being exact with vegetables because they do not contain much as far as calories go. I just bought one of those cheap scales from Wal-Mart that has the analog (guess that what you call it) measurement and it seems to work quite well.

I have also found that buying a book with all the macronutrients breakdowns can be helpful as well. I use The Complete Book of Food Counts by Corinne T. Netzer. You can usually find this at any bookstore and it will save you from having to look up everything on the internet.

This site is also helpful:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...SR15/sr15.html

As far as eating out most fast food or chain restuaraunts have the nutrition information available if you ask them for it, or you can look it up on their websites. You can also find the breakdowns for some foods in books and on the internet (fitday.com is an example). Other than that you would just have to make an educated guess going by what ingredients were used.
    Last edited by bradley; 06-13-2003 at 02:16 AM.

im planning on getting a food scale. what kind do you guys have? about how much did it cost? (im not going for a totally hi-tech scale) just somthing to give me an idea how much the food weighs.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I got a $3 one from Walmart.
    "I will contend that, given sufficent protein and EFA's, you can get ripped on table sugar." --Lyle Mcdonald

"Not every user is the huge acne infested freak at your local gym," he said. "You'd be surprised at who your average steroid user is. He's that guy next door who has a wife, a few kids, and is taking medication to take his body beyond his genetic limitations. I'm ashamed to live in a society where men and women can have fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips, but when they inject a medicine that is perfectly legal in many countries, they're just considered villains." --Jeff Wilmoth

I'm with Tryska and GS - I've been using fitday for about a month now and it's fooking awesome for counting cals and macros.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee