Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back and Trying Again - 300 to 210.

Back and Trying Again - 300 to 210.

Hey folks.

I'm back. My last dietary goal failed. I didn't persue it very far, but I found it almost impossible to keep it up. Now I have no choice.

See the old threads:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=16747

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&threadid=9261

Here is a picture of me. Not recent, but still pretty accurate:

I don't have much to say other than this has to work this time. I can't go above 300 pounds. Period.

I've already started dieting.

You'll find my recent inspiration from here:

Anandtech Forums Post

This guy is not too much unlike me. He weighed about 300 lbs. He is a few years older than me (25, I think). He used a slightly modified Body For Life routine as well as additional exercise, and lost 100 lbs in one year.

I plan to loose the same amount of weight, only faster. And be more lean afterwards, too. And I know with your help and guidance, I can do it.

There's not much else to say. I am going to build a low-calorie cutting diet as well as work out 3 times a week on the WBB routine, and alternate that with cardio of some sort. The specifics I am developing now with my friend and hopefully with your input.

I now have some protein shakes and am about to start using some kind of appetite suppressant. I am going to cut myself down to *ONE* unhealthy meal a week. I am going to move to ABSOLUTELY NO COKES, DIETCOKES, OR ICED TEA.

I plan on having 6 meals a day, one or two of them being shakes, one being some sort of protien bar, and the rest being chicken, egg wites, oatmeal, or whatever other substituies I can think of.

I'm sorry to throw so much undedited information at you. This is what I need:

1. Suggestions for a caloric daily intake. I weigh just under 300 pounds. I am 6'5.

2. Suggestions for healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I like chicken, tuna fish, lean meats (I always eat the leanest red meat I can find). Any good suggestions for breakfast?

3. Any modifications to the WBB routine? What kind of cardio should I do? I heard something about HIIP or something like that?

4. Any words of insipration or sound advice go a long way with me. Some of the smallest hints make me realize things I didn't know before.

Overall the difference between now and before: I weigh more now, I plan to use appetite suppresants, I plan to use protein shakes and bars, I have a good idea of what I can and can't eat.

Thanks a bunch. I know I can always count on you all.
    Weight : 340 [225]
    Bodyfat: 42.3% [10.0%]
    Height: 6'5

Check out my workout blog: link
    What did I eat today? FitDay

i'm in the same boat as you man... good luck!

Overtrainer.
    Want to lose bodyfat???
    Do not. I repeat do not eat/drink any protein shakes or Meal replacements.
    Do not eat any form of junk food whatsoever.
    Eat lots of tuna, buy 10 cans a week or more.
    Drink tons of water.
    Cook with olive oil.
    Don't starve yourself, eat well.
    Use the ELDM diet which does not contain any specific requirements. (Eat Less and Do More)

Honestly if you do not eat junk food for 3 months but still overreat on good foods you will still lose weight. Maccas etc...is the absolute be all and end all of weight gain.

Im on a bulk now and am finding it so hard to put on weight that i am considering of starting to eat maccas again. As soon as i stopped eating stuff like that I lost 20lbs. I still overeat on good foods but am only maintaing my weight barely.

Hope this helps I have seen both sides of the coin.

Well then.

That advice goes against everything I've ever heard to do.

Keep it coming.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    Want to lose bodyfat???
    Do not eat any form of junk food whatsoever.
    Eat lots of tuna, buy 10 cans a week or more.
    Drink tons of water.
    Cook with olive oil.
    Don't starve yourself, eat well.
    Use the ELDM diet which does not contain any specific requirements. (Eat Less and Do More)

Honestly if you do not eat junk food for 3 months but still overreat on good foods you will still lose weight. Maccas etc...is the absolute be all and end all of weight gain.

Im on a bulk now and am finding it so hard to put on weight that i am considering of starting to eat maccas again. As soon as i stopped eating stuff like that I lost 20lbs. I still overeat on good foods but am only maintaing my weight barely.

Hope this helps I have seen both sides of the coin.

tuttut

If you overeat (eat more calories than your body requires) then you will gain weight. Unless you are a space alien. But human bodies work that way.

Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    Want to lose bodyfat???
    why wouldnt you want any protein shakes?

not even post-workout?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Re: Back and Trying Again - 300 to 210.

Originally posted by technogeeky

1. Suggestions for a caloric daily intake. I weigh just under 300 pounds. I am 6'5.
    Have you tried counting your calories? Go to www.fitday.com, and count your calories for a week of everything that you have been eating. That will help determine how many calories you are currently eating. Then, after a week of eating and logging your calories, weigh yourself to see if you have gained weight or lost weight, and how much you have gained or lost. If you find that you gained weight, then lower your calories a bit for the next week. If you found that you lost weight (for your size and weight, i'd try to lose about 1-2 pounds a week), then keep your calories the same for the upcoming week.

Make sense?

2. Suggestions for healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I like chicken, tuna fish, lean meats (I always eat the leanest red meat I can find). Any good suggestions for breakfast?
    It sounds like you have a good idea about what to eat and what not to eat.

Good sources of:
    -Protein- Tuna, Chicken, Turkey, Lean red meats, Whey ,Eggs, Dairy, etc.
    -Carbs- Oats, Sweet potatoes, Yams, Brown Rice, Whole-wheat Bread, Fibrous Veggies, etc.
    -Fats- Fish Oils, Flaxseed Oil, Natural Peanut Butter, Olive Oil, etc.

3. Any modifications to the WBB routine? What kind of cardio should I do? I heard something about HIIP or something like that?
    Yes, it's actually HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training. There is a sticky @ the top of the forum for losts of info about it.

Try varying your cardio. Maybe go for a jog one day, and then a different day do HIIT, and then a different day ride your bike for a bit. W/e makes it fun

4. Any words of insipration or sound advice go a long way with me. Some of the smallest hints make me realize things I didn't know before.
    You can do it bro. I used to be in your shoes as weel. I was 240 Pounds @ 5'11", but i was only 15 years old! Just don't get down on yourself if there is a week that doesn't go good for you, just keep at it. And if you have any other questions, WBB is a great place to ask them
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Also, what are you having Post-Workout? (eating/drinking)

what ghettosmurf said - also I wouldn't go below 3000 calories a day to start, considering the activity you will be adding in, and your estimated BMR.

Watch the types of cabrs you eat - mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, careful - with grains, make sure they are complex.

for breakfast i would suggest oats, and some protein, maybe eggwhites? or powder mixed in.

good luck! we're here to help.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Technogeeky - I remember you from when you were here before. Good luck on your new effort!

Tryska was dead on when she reccomended oats with protein powder (or another protein source) in the morning. When I eat that stuff for breakfast, it keeps me full for a long time. Buy the slow-cooking kind, add some splenda, nuts, fruit, whatever, and learn to like it.

Also -- go through your place and throw away anything that might tempt you when you're starving and don't feel like making anything. Throw away cookies, chips, bad tv dinners, whatever it is you shouldn't be eating. If you're going to stick with this, you're not going to be eating anyway, so get rid of it.

Similarly, there will come a time when you're tired/lazy/whatever and just need something easy. Plan for that. Always have on hand stuff that will fill you up, but won't ruin your daily intake. Things like yogurt, nuts, jello, etc. Find some (healthy) bars you like, and buy a bunch of them for these times.

Finally, figure out what happened last time. Did you just not have time to prepare food, versus picking up fast food? You could solve that by maybe pre-preparing food or researching simpler meals. Were you uninspired in going to the gym? You need a strategy to deal with these things, 'cause they will probably happen again.

Well, last time I just fell off. It was too hard to prepare food well and I found myself going to fast food places while at work.

Now that I have the luxury of protein shakes, I can more easily see myself doing 6 meals a day.

I don't think I should be eating 3000 calories a day. I've already started calorie counting with www.fitday.com and I'm going to be posting my daily intake on the Journals section here.

I haven't started working out yet, but my friend and I are going to a new, more accessable gym tonight.

I didn't eat breakfast this morning, I went to bed at about 4AM. So I didn't get up until 12.

I think i'm going to shoot for 2400 calories a day. We'll see. I'll post my meals today on the journal. Keep the good advice coming

what do you plan on having post-workout?

also, try not to make it a habit of skipping breakfast

IMHO 2400 seems somewhat low, but then again, everyone is different.

My mom seems to have this idea that you should set your calories to what you want to weigh * 10.

I don't buy it, but I do think that I should be eating less than 3000 calories.

she's right.

you should set your calories bare minimum at bwx10. It's because your body needs at least that many calories in order to maintain itself IF YOU WERE IN A COMA. that's not accounting for the calories needed to get out of bed, walk around, pee, etc, etc.

if you don't eat at least that many cals, you risk using prescious muscle, bone and organ tissue as fuel because your body cannibalizes what you got, while still keeping the fat, because that's what your body believes it can use for energy when everything elses is gone. Also leads to plataueas that are tough to break.

kinda ironic, huh?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Well. So i have a Subway Club sandwich here that I'm a bout to eat.

Footlong. White (it's all they had, I had it debreaded). Only Mayo. Subway Club (turkey, ham, roast beef)

I have eaten ~ 600 calories today for my first meal. Then I had one regular protien shake after a workout (WBB shoulders).

Some questions:

What else can I put in my protien shake to make it taste better. It's a bad kind so it tastes pretty nasty (hey, it was 99cents!)

Also, how bad is subway? I usually get wheat bread, debeaded. And usually a 6 inch. But I am very hungry and i'm WAY under my caloric goal (i'm at 1000 cals for today)

Oh - my parents also got me a perscription of Meridia from my doctor. It's free, too, because of new obesity laws.

I'm going to use it solely as an appetite suppressant to make it easier to not cheat :0

No hunger == no excess eating.

IMO subway is so-so. im sure the wheat bread is enriched wheat. also, i'd try to avoid the mayo next time.

Overtrainer.
    Ok well.

Eating 5 times a day small portions will make you lose weight faster than starving yourself and then binge eating. Eliminating fat from your diet will make your body store fat. Take it from me I know.

The Tuna Tempter
    I'd just keep away from the take away foods mate, that includes subway. I prefer making my own food so I know what's in it.

What do you need this 'Meridia' for? Do you know why fat people are fat? Obviously, it's because they eat too much. Unless they have some sort of thyroid problems, or some other condition which causes them to gain fat, then they simply eat too much!

I see fat people eating crap food all the time, it totally disgusts me, and to think i was 'one of them' once upon a time. Like I said above, just eat good food.

Also, your calories do seem too low man. Losing fat at a slower rate is better for you, I can't see how losing like 5-10lbs a week can possibly be healthy.

Like others may have pointed out, you will risk losing muscle and other lean mass if you drop your calories too low. ...and guess what....you may end up 'skinny' but still flabby and not look healthy at all....or your metabolism may slow down so much that your weight loss stops completely.

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

Originally posted by Tank23
    I'd just keep away from the take away foods mate, that includes subway. I prefer making my own food so I know what's in it.

What do you need this 'Meridia' for? Do you know why fat people are fat? Obviously, it's because they eat too much. Unless they have some sort of thyroid problems, or some other condition which causes them to gain fat, then they simply eat too much!

I see fat people eating crap food all the time, it totally disgusts me, and to think i was 'one of them' once upon a time. Like I said above, just eat good food.

Also, your calories do seem too low man. Losing fat at a slower rate is better for you, I can't see how losing like 5-10lbs a week can possibly be healthy.

Like others may have pointed out, you will risk losing muscle and other lean mass if you drop your calories too low. ...and guess what....you may end up 'skinny' but still flabby and not look healthy at all....or your metabolism may slow down so much that your weight loss stops completely.

-Tank
    Let me first say this:

The way you made that statment disgusts me. Your inconsiderate nature becomes overbearingly apparent with that post, probably becuase I'm still offended by the word fat.

Aside from that, there are a number of things that make people fat. I used to eat too much unhealthy food, and now I eat too little. If that disgusts you, you can turn the other way.

Aside your unappreciated slander, Meridia is a very simple drug that causes you not to be hungry. I don't have much of a self control problem, but it's annoying to be hungry ALL the time. This drug will take that away and let me just eat when necessary. Just to make things a little easier. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

For those that are helping me (I thank you *very* much!),

Check out my journal here.

Thanks. And keep the advice coming. I need to eat more, but don't know what to eat!

Overtrainer.
    Yeah slander maybe but do keep away from take away foods.

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by technogeeky

Let me first say this:

The way you made that statment disgusts me. Your inconsiderate nature becomes overbearingly apparent with that post, probably becuase I'm still offended by the word fat.

Aside from that, there are a number of things that make people fat. I used to eat too much unhealthy food, and now I eat too little. If that disgusts you, you can turn the other way.

Aside your unappreciated slander, Meridia is a very simple drug that causes you not to be hungry. I don't have much of a self control problem, but it's annoying to be hungry ALL the time. This drug will take that away and let me just eat when necessary. Just to make things a little easier. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

First off...I wasn't trying to offend you. You should be thankful I took the time to even try and help you out.

Secondly....Sure I could've said 'obese' instead of 'fat', but big deal, get over it.

About the drug...if you feel you need to use it then go for it.

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

As a fellow fat person, I say get over it. We are fat! We ate a lot of crap to get us this way. Yes, we did also eat healthy at points, but in the end gave up and came back to junk. We looked for the magic pill to loose weight or the medical excuse to justify our obesity. So many times, I found the smallest excuse to break my diet and eat crap. Man there is always an easy way out. However, in the end when you look at yourself disgusted in the mirror that is when you see whom is to blame and has control. The people here have lots of knowledge and good advice. However, be forward that they may not always sugar coat things for you. Then again, the people that do sugar coat things for us make it easier to justify our excuses. I say listen to what they have to say. Also embrace what you are and only then will you be ready to start your change. Anyways, ¡§excuse¡¨ me if I am harsh. I think it may be the Xenadrine ƒº.

Wannabebig Member
    Do you workout? Everyone is talking about nutrition, how about you post your work out program. Do you do deadlifts, squats and presses? I understand that you will have flexibility issues due to abundance of weight and your height, but you should make an attempt to do them. So DO YOU do them? Post your routine