Thread: BF increase different from different percentages?

BF increase different from different percentages?

Say I cut down to 10% BF, then I do a bulk of say 4000 calories with a 40/40/20 ratio. After 6 months I reach 15.3% BF.

NOW, say I had cut down to 6% BF, and I did the exact same bulk for the same duration. Would my bodyfat be at 11.3%?

It would be greater than 11.3%. When cutting from 10% BF to 6% BF you lose some quantity of fat... let's call that amount 'x'. x is the difference between 10% and 6% at your present weight.

Then you bulk. You are now a great deal heavier and x will not represent as much bodyfat percentage-wise. So to answer your question your BF would not be 11.3%... it would be some amount higher, maybe between 12% and 13%.

one more ? about the topic. if you have a higher BF%, is it harder to gain more BF% then someone with a lower BF%?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    one more ? about the topic. if you have a higher BF%, is it harder to gain more BF% then someone with a lower BF%?
    haha that is my question, just phrased different.

I'd be interested to hear other people opinions or knowledge on this subject also.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    BF% just do the math... As you gain mass it takes more fat gained to raise your BF%
    170lb 1%=1.7lbs while at 220lb 1% = 2.2 lbs Not a big difference but a difference none the less.
    w00t

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    The results are independant of your current BF% levels
    w00t

Ohhhhhhh ok, I understand it now. I guess my question should have been asked differently then...

Say I bulk from 6% for 8 months and gain 12.7lbs of fat.

NOW, assuming I did the exact same bulk for the same duration, but from 12% instead of 6%... Would I gain 12.7lbs of fat?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I think you would gain less fat, because at 6% you have more lean tissue which burns more calories. Even though they say "15 x bodyweight to bulk" (or whatever number you want to use), lbm burns more calories than fat, so you would be gaining less fat on a bulk from 6% if you eat and exercise the same.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

hmm, makes sense.

Anybody else wanna contribute?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Originally posted by Behemoth
    Ohhhhhhh ok, I understand it now. I guess my question should have been asked differently then...

Say I bulk from 6% for 8 months and gain 12.7lbs of fat.

NOW, assuming I did the exact same bulk for the same duration, but from 12% instead of 6%... Would I gain 12.7lbs of fat?
    There are many variables that make it difficult to predict how much fat you would gain.

1. Your body favors a certain 'normal' BF range. If you are well above this range, then it will likely be easy to lose fat. You may even be able to lose fat while gaining muscle. If you are well below this range (6%), then you are likely to gain BF easily. This would make it easier to gain fat in the 6% bulk.

2. If the bulks were done sequentially and you started out with more muscle in the second bulk, then you may have more trouble gaining muscle in the second bulk. Inexeperienced weightlifters often gain muscle easily. At a certain point, it becomes increasingly difficult to gain muscle. Training styles might need to be modified, etc. If you are gaining weight at the same rate and are gaining less muscle, then you are probably gaining more fat.

3. If you had more muscle during one of the bulks, then you would likely have a higher metabolism and need to eat more to gain weight. If you ate the same amount of calories, then you would likely gain weight at a slower rate, which often results in less BF gain. I would recommend eating such that you are gaining rate at your desired rate, regardless of the calories.
    Last edited by aka23; 06-16-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Why don't you just use my handy dandy body composition calculator: http://www.hollowmedia.com/bodycomp04.zip