The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet pop?

Wannabebig Member chrisconnell85's Avatar

Diet pop?

This might be a stupid question but....

I was wondering if there is anything negetive about diet pop. I drink about a liter and a half a day and i'm wondering if there are any negetive effects of it (especially if your cutting).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i would minimize my aspartame/saccharin consumption
    Last edited by raniali; 06-11-2003 at 03:34 PM.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Wannabebig Member chrisconnell85's Avatar

why?

Why? What are the negetive side affects?

death
    http://www.dorway.com/wurtman1.html

some people are more susceptible to the way aspartame breaks down ... but to be on the safe side, i would still minimize it.

aspartame (i believe) is metabolized into formaldehyde in ur system.
    http://www.feingold.org/aspartame.html
    Last edited by raniali; 06-11-2003 at 03:49 PM.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

told y'all nutrasweet was satan's tool.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    just be aware of extra sodium and caffeine in your diet.

aspartame is the devil! we learned in chem. about those studies on mice with different artificial sweeteners(with aspartame) and most resulted in brain tumors or abnormalities
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

i usually have a diet pop every once in a while. but i'd usually pick some iced tea, or crystal light over the pop. carbonated water seems to give me the burps
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Try Diet Rite sodas. They have no caffeine, no sodium, and are sweetened with Splenda. They taste pretty good IMO.

I'll say it again. Soda is the devil, and diet soda is the devil's b*tch.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Con Aspartame:

Aspartame sugar substitutes cause worrying symptoms from memory loss to brain tumours. But despite US FDA approval as a 'safe' food additive, aspartame is one of the most dangerous substances ever to be foisted upon an unsuspecting public.

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Aspartame.html
    Pro Aspartame:

The FDA considers aspartame to be one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved. More than 100 toxicological and clinical studies the agency has reviewed confirm that aspartame is safe for the general population. The Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for aspartame set by FDA and reevaluated and reaffirmed several times is 50 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) of body weight per day. At this level, for example, a 150-pound (60-kilogram) person would need to consume 15-16 cans (12-ounce) of diet soda containing aspartame to reach this level of intake.

http://www.nutrition.com.sg/atd/atdsupplement.asp
    Pro Splenda:

Sucralose is a new artificial sweetener, found in several products such as Diet Rite soda. Although it is much safer than aspartame, it's still not recommended. If you "must" drink diet soda, switch to Diet Rite. A safer option would be to drink water & use Stevia to sweeten tea, coffee etc. Or move to Japan, where Stevia has been used in soda with no complaints for 50 years.

http://www.321recipes.com/aspartame.html
    Con Splenda:

Splenda, also known as sucralose, is artificial sweetener which is a chlorinated sucrose derivative. Facts about this artificial chemical follows:

Pre-approval research showed that sucralose caused shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage) and enlarged liver and kidneys.

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/
    Also:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

Personally I can't get over this statement I see on anything that has Splenda as an ingredient:

"excess consumption may cause
    a laxative effect"

Here is a good Sweetener Information Sheet:
    http://www.sugarlessshop.com/2000/sweetenerinfo.htm

Bottom line: Drink water.

The Nothing
    ::reads while drinking diet pepsi::

the thingi can never figure out is, why do people drink regular pop, when they can just drink diet pop? IMHO to me, (and i used to be a HEAVY pop drinker, like 4-5 cans a day) diet pop and regualr pop taste the same. im some cases, i even like the taste of the diet pop better then the regular.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

They should make water in cans, and put it in machines, then overcharge for it. Everyone would drink it then.

Originally posted by drew
    They should make water in cans, and put it in machines, then overcharge for it. Everyone would drink it then.
    hell, they already put it in bottles and over-charge for it

regular soda and diet soda taste very different to me. i rarely drink regular , and diet gives me headaches, and tases bitter.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

hell, they already put it in bottles and over-charge for it
    I just keep a 24oz sport bottle on my desk and fill it from the cooler at work

As I do not drink 500 cans of diet pop everyday, I see no real danger in drinking a can or two everyday. Rats will develop cancer if you give them enough of anything. That said, it's been a long time since I've personally drank pop.

I think caffeine can be helpful during cutting if it suppresses your appetite as much as mine. (My anti-ADD medication is even more effective -- which is why I avoid it when bulking.)
    Last edited by Scott S; 06-12-2003 at 03:20 PM.

i know. i agree with that. i mean, it can cause problems in lab rats, but does anyone have stuies where it has caused a serious problem in a human?

im just curious.

becuase i mean, IMO from what i hear and read, they give small animals like rats loads of the stuff, in which they develope problems.

I've never heard of any studies on humans consuming 1-2 cans per day, but they probably exist. I'm 99% sure that something else will kill you first, however.

BTW, I like your idea earlier of iced tea. A great, refreshing drink that IMO needs no sweeteners period!

As I do not drink 500 cans of diet pop everyday, I see no real danger in drinking a can or two everyday.
    Although I do drink 1-2 cans a day also, and that might be a reasonable amount, my concern is what are the long term effects?

I think caffeine can be helpful during cutting if it suppresses your appetite as much as mine. (My anti-ADD medication is even more effective -- which is why I avoid it when bulking.)
    Caffeine acts as a diuretic. So you really need to make sure you are getting plenty of wtaer along with it. Also, if you chose to use flax oil, keep in mind that chronic caffeine consumption will interfere with the body's ability to convert linolenic acid into EPA and DHA. Using fish oil already contains EPA and DHA so you needed worry about interference with caffeine.

i know. i agree with that. i mean, it can cause problems in lab rats, but does anyone have stuies where it has caused a serious problem in a human?

im just curious.
    Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death as recently disclosed in a February 1994 Department of Health and Human Services report.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include:

Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:

Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Aspartame.html

Aspartame is generally well tolerated by most people with the exception of a small number of people--about 1 in 16,000--who have the hereditary disease phenylketonuria. Aspartame contains phenylalanine, which should be avoided by the these people. People with advanced liver disease and pregnant women with high levels of phenylalanine in the blood also may have trouble metabolizing the substance.

http://www.nutrition.com.sg/atd/atdsupplement.asp

thanks bobby, but i was looking more for somthing about splenda/sucralose (since that's what i usually use), lol

do you have any info about that on human cases?

thanks bobby, but i was looking more for somthing about splenda/sucralose (since that's what i usually use), lol

do you have any info about that on human cases?
    The research completed on humans seem to be extremely low, but here what I could dig up:

Few human studies of safety have been published on sucralose. One small study of diabetic patients using the sweetener showed a statistically significant increase in glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1C), which is a marker of long-term blood glucose levels and is used to assess glycemic control in diabetic patients. According to the FDA, "increases in glycosolation in hemoglobin imply lessening of control of diabetes."

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Lsweetdebate2.htm
    Here is one where some people are talking about problems they had while taking sucralose:

http://tigmor.com/food/library/articles/sucralase.htm

Here is one that suggests it is safe in low amounts:

One of the newest studies (published in Food and Chemical Toxicology, July 2000) examined the safety of repeated doses of sucralose over a long period. Most toxicity and safety studies examine a single dose or repeated doses over a short time span. This study was important because it studied tolerance of frequent exposure over several weeks. Healthy human adult volunteers (n=108) received sucralose or fructose twice a day in a single blind design for 13 weeks. The amount of sucralose fed ranged from 125 mg/day for the first few weeks up to 500 mg/day for the final weeks. One teaspoon of sucralose is 500 mg.

No adverse experiences or clinically detectable effects were attributable to sucralose. Hematology, serum biochemistry, urinalysis, and EKG tracings were unaffected by sucralose consumption. Blood samples showed no accumulation of sucralose. The conclusion was that this sweetener is well tolerated by human adults.

Two questions that remain are safety for children and safety at the very high doses that some people might use if they begin to substitute sucralose for much of the sucrose they typically consume. The study described above assumed that the anticipated level of intake will be one teaspoon per day.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/nutrition/0oct20.html
    Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-13-2003 at 07:00 AM.

I also found this interesting piece of information:

As you know, our bodies require oxygen to remain healthy. For every can of carbonated soda ingested, the amount of oxygen in the blood is decreased by 25% for up to three hours. If you are drinking several sodas per day, you are depriving yourself for a significant amount of oxygen.

Calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus must be maintained in the proper balance for bone health. When too much phosphorus is in the blood, calcium is leached from the bones, causing osteoporosis. Even in citrus sodas which contain citric acid instead of phosphoric acid, calcium is needed to normalize blood pH. It has been said that the fastest growing group of people with osteoporosis in this country is teenagers....because of the huge number of sodas they consume.

As far as caffeine and sugar are concerned, they both cause dehydration, and the massive depletion of minerals. A study was done in which two groups of children aged 13-18 years of age were given one of two drinks, a caffeinated sugar-free drink, or a drink containing both caffeine and sugar. When caffeine was added, calcium excretion in the urine increased by 25%. When sugar was added, urinary calcium loss almost doubled (1). Both caffeine and sugar also cause dehydration.

Sugar in particular is destructive because its ingestion lowers immune function by reducing the ability of white blood cells to ingest and destroy bacteria. This lowered immune function can last for five hours or more after the ingestions of sugar (2).

Sucralose, also marketed as Splenda, breaks down into small amounts of 1,6 -dichlorofructose, a chemical similar to chlorinated pesticides. There has not been adequate testing of this product before it was released for public use, and many of the post-approval studies are alarming.

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/soda.html