Thread: Question for the gun experts

Question for the gun experts

In movies when people sometimes drop guns and they fire or even like in True Lies where that auto kept firing down the stais. Is that possible?
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    No, its crap. Even in the shoddiest gun model the trigger still must be compressed in order for it a round to fire.

An Uzi - no way in hell. Uzis are very well made and have both the trigger that must be compressed and a grip safety as well. Total crap. Unless the gun is EXTREMELY unkempt or you made the gun yourself and had no metalworking/machining/gunsmithing experience, the gun isnt going to fire no matter how many times you drop it.

Banned
    well

maybe not... exactly

http://people.howstuffworks.com/machine-gun3.htm
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/machine-gun4.htm

the sites above have decent flash animations illustrating how generic-looking autofires weapon work.

The Uzi is a blowback-based weapon. However, I wasn't sure it was an Uzi in the movie; I'd have to re-watch it but for some reason I didn't think arab terrorists would have israeli weapons... I coulda sworn it was a MAC-10 (which looks very similar to the Uzi), which is somewhat less reliable/stable/accurate and is also a recoil-operated open-bolt SMG.

The blowback vs. recoil thing actually isn't a big deal because both weapons can continue firing so long as the trigger is depressed... or at least is moved such that the sear is no longer constraining the bolt or bolt carriage from moving.

Now:
    assuming that the weapon had been charged/cocked, compressing the main spring

and

assuming that the trigger mech & sear were damaged/loose/worn as a result of poor maintenance, age and usage (somewhat more believable in terms of a terrorist punk's weapon as opposed to a real soldier's weapon)

and

the safety was off and there was no grip safety

it is *just* possible (though highly highly unlikely) that the initial dropping of the weapon caused the trigger mech to somehow become jammed or (more likely) say the sear finally gave up the ghost and snapped off/bent/moved and stuck.

This would allow the SMG to freely fire off all its ammunition. However, said firing would happen at the normal full-auto rate of fire rather than seeming to fire every time it hit the stairs (as appeared to be the case in the movie)

In a more general sense, Budiak is right, most weapons just can't fire because they're dropped. One possible exception is a single-action pistol or a double-action pistol that has had the hammer cocked back... in this state, a pistol is SOMEWHAT less stable/safe and POTENTIALLY could let off a round when dropped with sufficient force but again this would probably require a damaged/worn/etc. weapon.

In the exact fashion as it is shown in the flic I would say it's as likely to happen as any one of us guys getting hooked up with Jamie Lee Curtis....of course I'd want her 12 years ago....she has degraded considerably since that time.....ANYWAY IT is possible to reduce the trigger pull of a weapon to the point where the cycling of the action will be enough to cause the gun to fire .....wouldn't be much of a gun after wards considering every time you put the first round in the chamber the gun would fire!!!!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Yes, you can drop a gun and it can fire. It is quite possible.

Let me elaborate by saying that it's much more likely to occur in guns that are SA and are cocked and unlocked. An impact on just the right part of the gun at the right angle can cause it to fire.

Don't believe me? Go load up a revolver, cock it, and throw it on the ground a few hundred times. It's called "Retard Roulette".
    Last edited by Gyno Rhino; 06-11-2003 at 10:41 AM.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Speaking of firearms...

Choose among the following:

Beretta 3032 (.32ACP) for $325

North American Arms Guardian (.32 ACP) for $310

Colt Detective Special (.38 spl) for $369

OR- something else

For concealed self defence.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    My choice:
    Charter 2000 Bulldog Pug (.44)

... just because it's a concealed/small weapon doesn't mean it has to be a smaller round. just 22 oz, and it's just $296.00

Originally posted by Callahan

... just because it's a concealed/small weapon doesn't mean it has to be a smaller round.
    AGREED !

Concealed I'd go with an Auto for comfort....
    if forced between the 3 I like the Beretta....but for self defense I want a BIG chunk of lead...personally I'd go with something like 45ACP or 10MM or the Sig357 in a small framed auto....(Hey we're talking SELF DEFENSE I want HEAVY BULLETS , BIG HOLES and HOLLOW POINTS for MAXIMUM tissue damage.....

yes it can fire...rim fire bullets are extremely dangerous i met a guy at the range who would religously check for these on the ground because he saw a guy who tapped it with a boot or kicked it against somethin and the bullet went off, I dont see why droping a gun could possible realease the pin mecanism...
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Banned
    Originally posted by Orange357
    I dont see why droping a gun could possible realease the pin mecanism...
    not talking about releasing the pin... rather for autoloaders, releasing the slide/bolt/carriage -- once and autoloader has been charged/cocked, the only thing holding back the bolt from slamming forward and the weapon from firing is usually a little nub of metal. Now as mentioned, it's highly unlikely that this numb will wear down all the way/break/warp etc. unless you treat your weapon poorly

but my point was in theory it COULD happen
    Last edited by Relentless; 06-11-2003 at 01:58 PM.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Speaking of firearms...

Choose among the following:

Beretta 3032 (.32ACP) for $325

North American Arms Guardian (.32 ACP) for $310

Colt Detective Special (.38 spl) for $369

OR- something else

For concealed self defence.
    Glock, model 27
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace...
    Thomas Paine

If you're in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

Paul, For carry do you really want to go generic? When you figure a carry guns only purpose in life is to protect you in hyour family. Also if you are going for carry buy a strictlyu carry gun. Don't buy one for multiple uses. I did this and ended up buying another gun. Personally I am revolver man. .37 is good you can fire .38s or .357, but a .38 is good. I would go with a concelaed or bobbed hammer.
    I have a ruger sp101 .357, 2 1/2", bobbey hammer and grove for for sights. I prefer S&W. There a good revolver.
    Nice thing a about revolvers is it is always ready, just pull the trigger. It is the only gun I would get for the average women. Semi autos have to many variables unless you always carry them the same way.

http://www.letsgoseeit.com/index/cou...k06_8in_30.jpg

btw... who needs a big caliber and hollow points for maximum tissue damage....

why is it better to blow his head off or get to be able to look right through his chest, than to shoot him in the chest with a 3 mm pointed bullet? its not like hes gonna stand there and say haha you think that got me. hes going down alright. who needs more?

You don't need a .50 cal desert eagle but I wouldn't carry a .22 either.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Originally posted by Reinier

why is it better to blow his head off or get to be able to look right through his chest, than to shoot him in the chest with a 3 mm pointed bullet? its not like hes gonna stand there and say haha you think that got me. hes going down alright. who needs more?
    Not true. You'd be surprised. You could be shot in the chest with a 22 and keep charging at a victim. Get shot with a .50 and you will fall back, IMMEDIATELY. It makes a big difference.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Also the smaller the cal the better shot you have to be, which can be difficult under pressure. A large cal will have a better chance of stopping someone even if not dead on. You could get hit with a .22 in the shoulder or thigh and probably keep on going, get hit witha .45 gonna atleast knock you down.

Originally posted by Berserker
    Paul, For carry do you really want to go generic? When you figure a carry guns only purpose in life is to protect you in hyour family. Also if you are going for carry buy a strictlyu carry gun. Don't buy one for multiple uses. I did this and ended up buying another gun. Personally I am revolver man. .37 is good you can fire .38s or .357, but a .38 is good. I would go with a concelaed or bobbed hammer.
    I have a ruger sp101 .357, 2 1/2", bobbey hammer and grove for for sights. I prefer S&W. There a good revolver.
    Nice thing a about revolvers is it is always ready, just pull the trigger. It is the only gun I would get for the average women. Semi autos have to many variables unless you always carry them the same way.

Buyy a .357 magnum, you can shoot .38 out of them and .38 are being shot less and less last few years....

I really really want an H&K 9mm now...
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

What pisses me off about movies is how a 30 round clip can hold enough ammo for 5-10 minutes of continuous full-auto fire.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    What pisses me off about movies is how a 30 round clip can hold enough ammo for 5-10 minutes of continuous full-auto fire.
    LOL have you seen the preview for the new charlies angels. Some how demi moore can fire 2 desert eagles single handedly in each hand with no recoil.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

She has Action Kung-Fu Gripô
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Reinier

Only in an ideal world...
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace...
    Thomas Paine

If you're in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

Originally posted by Berserker
    That's what I'm thinking. I want a shotgun for home, something Mrs Stagg can fire for home (.357 revolver), and something for me to carry. Mrs Stagg doesn't want to carry. If someone breaks into my house and I'm there, I think a shotgun is the way to go.

That list was just some stuff on a website of a gun shop near my house - all used. Seemed reasonably priced.

I think the .44 Pug mentioned above would work just fine, but I don't know enough about the subject to know if there is a reliability or quality issue.

The main thing is that it be small enough to conceal, preferably in a belt holster or ankle holster.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    Charter Arms (now defunct) used to make the .44 Bulldog; they were known for making solid, reliable, no-frills firearms

Charter 2000 is carrying on their tradition/models
    Last edited by Relentless; 06-16-2003 at 08:51 AM.

Are you dead set on a revolver for carrying ?
    I would recommend trying the holster/gun combo on first ......darn things can get pretty uncomfortable in a hurry....that cylinder causes a little bigger bulge (which might be OK in the belt holster) but your regular clothing will also play a part in it.....you want fast easy access without a lot of obvious movements......and when you need it you'll want it YESTERDAY.....if the "bad guy" sees you fumbling around at your ankle it's not going to be a good thing.

Revolvers are bigger. Depends how your gonna carry. A snub nose isn't to bad. Yes fumbling at your ankle is no good, but neither is racking one in and fumbling with the safety.
    Also depends how tight you wear your pants. When I was heavier and wearing looser jeans I used to carry a .44 inside my waist band, in the small of my back.