Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I achieve my Goal?

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

How can I achieve my Goal?

Since I began to bodybuild in late January I have reached every goal I have went after except for one. I have wanted nothing more than to get under 10% BF, really about 8. I have followed my diet pretty strict, with no more than 1 cheat day per week, and my cheat day is not at all bad. Maybe a piece of cake or a few beers or something.

I have made threads about shedding body fat before and I got advice to eat more. So I've been eating more. My diet now puts me at around 1800 calories a day. All I eat is chicken, natty pnut butter, Tuna, protein shakes, veggies, and other healthy food. I try to get at least a gram of protein for every pound per day. I usually meet my goal.

Since I've been eating more for the last few weeks I have gained weight, and some size on my arms and chest. That is great, but my waist is growing as well and there is no doubt my BF has increased. I feel bigger and I feel flabby. I am probably about 12-14% right now and I was probably 11% b4. I know I can get back to where I was with no problem, however even when I was doing tons of cardio and probably overtraining I still wasn't losing that last bit of weight. I get to a point and I just can't knock off any more weight no matter what I do.

People here told me my matabalism was to slow. I've increased my food and now I eat every 2 or 3 hours. All that has happened is BF% gain.

I am frustrated. What should I do?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    @5'11 and 160 lb... you need to keep gaining mass... I am about 5'8 @160 and I still think I am skinny... and I'm around 10% Don't worry about the fat worry about the mass
    w00t

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Just my own personal opinion though... your goals are your goals though.
    w00t

My goal is to grow but I would rather be smaller with low BF% than bigger with a belly. My belly has began to push out a lot farther than I can tolerate. I have been gaining a lot of mass. I've went from 154 to 162 in about a month. But I need to get under 10%

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

How much cardio are you doing? Maybe increase cardio. 1800 cals is a good amount to be eating for someone your size who is trying to cut.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

you need to remember bro, it is darn near impossible to gain mass and lose BF%.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by Saint Patrick
    How much cardio are you doing? Maybe increase cardio. 1800 cals is a good amount to be eating for someone your size who is trying to cut.
    I was actually gaining on 1800 though. I was gaining a lot, quick. I have been blessed with a middle age matabalism at 20

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Originally posted by Saint Patrick
    How much cardio are you doing?

I've slacked off a little in the last week but usually I play organized bball at least 3-4 times per week and run on the eliptical machine for 20 minutes 2-3 times per week. So quite a bit.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    I was actually gaining on 1800 though. I was gaining a lot, quick. I have been blessed with a middle age matabalism at 20
    Well if you were gaining on 1800 cals per day then you were obviously over maintenance, and to lose weight you need to be under maintenance cals. You can post your diet again so we can take a look at it.

Also just because you are cutting does not mean that you have to do large amounts of cardio. When attempting to lose weight I think it is best to adjust one thing at a time, either diet or cardio. Cutting cals and increasing cardio is a good way to lose LBM.

My diet changes but on a typical day I have:

Meal 1: Oatmeal w/ 2 cups of skim milk
    MetRx Protein Plus Shake

Total: 436 Cals 4g Fat 47 Carbs 55g Protein

Meal 2: 2 tbsp Natty Peanut Butter & Jelly on 2 slices white bread w/ 16oz water

Total: 766 Cals 22g Fat 77 Carbs 67g Protein

--WORKOUT--

Meal 3: 100% Whey Protein Shake w/ 2 Cups skim milk

Total: 1052 Cals 25g Fat 105 Carbs 104g Protein

Meal 4: 1 Can Tuna
    2 slices white bread

Total: 1342 Cals 29g Fat 129 Carbs 140g Protein

Meal 5: 1 Cup Cottage Cheese(sometimes w/ peaches or pineapple)

2 slices Butterball turkey breast

Daily Total: 1600 Cals 33g Fat 141 Carbs 178g Protein

I substitute foods often and I have things in my diet such as

Chicken Breast
    Chicken Salad
    Salad
    Boiled Eggs
    Wheaties
    Boca Burgers

Lately I've been adding in a couple other small things to add an extra 200 calories onto the scene. But like I said, I've been gaining fat.

-peace-
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 06-15-2003 at 11:38 AM.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

I would recommend adding in some form of omega 3 fatty acids in your diet. You are not really getting any through the diet that you have listed above. You could add in some salmon to one of your meals or supplement with fish oil. If you go with the fish oil I would shoot for 6-8g per day.

Instead of the 2 cups of milk and protein postworkout how about 1 cup of milk, 20g of protein and then some form of carbs (dextrose, malto, white bread, oats, just some type of carb). I know you said you don't like the protein mixed with water so I guess milk will have to do

That would be a good start IMO. Keep everything the same and don't go performing huge amounts of cardio Remember dieting is a trial and error process and it will take some time. Just have to have a little patience.

in addition to what bradley said- lose the jelly (unless it is sugar-free), also change the white bread to wheat bread.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

No jelly??

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

No jelly??

-peace-
    if you can find sugar-free jelly then go 4 it. but jelly is basically pure sugar.

Peanut butter and banana then I guess.....

Also what can I do to avoid putting sugar on my oatmeal?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

splenda!!!! some also like cinnamon. What your taking on board is not normal, im not saying that nastily, but you should go and see your doc, i think you may have a thyroid problem??

good luck fella

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

brown sugar or protein powders go well on oatmeal too... mmmm
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

No jelly??
    I don't think a tablespoon of jelly is going to hurt anything in the grand scheme of things. Just look for some 100% fruit jelly. There would be less sugar and overall cals in a small amount of jelly than in a banana.

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    What your taking on board is not normal, im not saying that nastily, but you should go and see your doc, i think you may have a thyroid problem??

good luck fella

B-R

What I'm taking on board?

what do u mean?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Is a thyroid condition something to worry about???

And what are the other symtoms?

Why would u think I have one?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

???
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Hypothyroidism

Definition:
    Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland fails to produce enough thyroid hormone.

Alternative Names:
    Myxedema; Adult hypothyroidism

Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
    The thyroid gland, located in the front of the neck just below the larynx, secretes hormones that control metabolism. These hormones are thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3).
    The secretion of T3 and T4 is controlled by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus, which is part of the brain. Thyroid disorders may result not only from defects in the thyroid gland itself, but also from abnormalities of the pituitary or hypothalamus.

Hypothyroidism, or underactivity of the thyroid gland, may cause a variety of symptoms and may affect all body functions. The body's normal rate of functioning slows, causing mental and physical sluggishness. The symptoms may vary from mild to severe, with the most severe form called myxedema, which is a medical emergency.

The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, a disease of the thyroid gland where the body's immune system attacks the gland. Failure of the pituitary gland to secrete a hormone to stimulate the thyroid gland (secondary hypothyroidism) is a less common cause of hypothyroidism. Other causes include congenital defects, surgical removal of the thyroid gland, irradiation of the gland, or inflammatory conditions.

Risk factors include age over 50 years, female gender, obesity, thyroid surgery, and exposure of the neck to x-ray or radiation treatments.

Symptoms:
    Early symptoms:

weakness
    fatigue
    cold intolerance
    constipation
    weight gain (unintentional)
    depression
    joint or muscle pain
    thin, brittle fingernails
    thin and brittle hair
    pale color
    Late symptoms:

slow speech
    dry flaky skin
    thickening of the skin
    puffy face, hands and feet
    decreased taste and smell
    thinning of eyebrows
    hoarseness
    abnormal menstrual periods
    Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:

overalls welling
    muscle spasms (cramps)
    muscle pain
    muscle atrophy
    uncoordinated movement
    absent menstruation
    joint stiffness
    dry hair
    hair loss
    facial swelling
    drowsiness
    appetite loss
    ankle, feet, and leg swelling
    short stature
    separated sutures
    delayed formation or absence of teeth

Signs and tests:
    A physical examination reveals delayed relaxation of muscles during tests of reflexes. Pale, yellow skin; loss of the outer edge of the eyebrows; thin and brittle hair; coarse facial features; brittle nails; firm swelling of the arms and legs; and mental slowing may be noted. Vital signs may reveal slow heart rate, low blood pressure, and low temperature.

A chest X-ray may reveal an enlarged heart.

Laboratory tests to determine thyroid function include:

T4 test (low)
    serum TSH (high in primary hypothyroidism, low or low-normal in secondary hypothyroidism)
    Additional laboratory abnormalities may include:

increased cholesterol levels
    increased liver enzymes
    increased serum prolactin
    low serum sodium
    a complete blood count (CBC) that shows anemia

Treatment:
    This version of the Encyclopedia has no treatment information. Please discuss any and all treatment options for your condition with your healthcare professional.

Expectations (prognosis):
    With treatment, return to the normal state is usual. Life-long medication is needed. Myxedema coma can result in death.

Complications:
    Myxedema coma, the most severe form of hypothyroidism, is rare. It may be caused by an infection, illness, exposure to cold, or certain medications in an individual with untreated hypothyroidism. Symptoms and signs of myxedema coma include unresponsiveness, decreased breathing, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, and below normal temperature.

Other complications are heart disease, increased risk of infection, infertility, and miscarriage.

Calling your health care provider:
    Call your health care provider if signs of hypothyroidism (or myxedema) are present.

Call your health care provider if chest pain or rapid heart beat occur, infection occurs, symptoms worsen or do not improve with treatment, or new symptoms develop.

Prevention:
    There is no prevention for hypothyroidism; however, screening tests in newborns can detect congenital hypothyroidism.

Taken From: http://mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns...Sz001159zPzhtm

Is a thyroid condition something to worry about???
    Yes, it is something that should be evaluated by a MD. I am not saying that I think you have a thyroid condition, but I will attempt to answer some of you questions. You might also try running a google search as well, seeing as how there is tons of information regarding thyroid conditions.

And what are the other symtoms?
    This was taken from the following site:

http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic446.htm

"Hypothyroidism
    Infants

Constipation
    Poor feeding
    Jaundice (yellow discoloration of the skin and eyes)
    Excessive tiredness

Children

Similar to adult symptoms
    Poor school performance

Adults

Early symptoms

Easy fatigue, exhaustion
    Poor tolerance to cold temperatures
    Constipation
    Carpal tunnel syndrome (pain at the wrists and numbness of the hands)

Later symptoms

Poor appetite
    Weight increase
    Dry skin
    Hair falls out
    Intellectual ability worsens
    Deeper, hoarse voice
    Puffiness around the eyes
    Depression

Hyperthyroidism

Children

Similar to adult symptoms
    Declining school performance
    Behavior problems

Adults

Insomnia
    Hand tremors
    Nervousness
    Feeling excessively hot in normal or cold temperatures
    Frequent bowel movements
    Losing weight despite normal or increased appetite
    Excessive sweating
    Menstrual period becomes scant, or ceases altogether
    Joint pains
    Difficulty concentrating
    Eyes seem to be enlarging

Elderly

Worsening of angina (chest pain) in person with heart disease
    Worsening of shortness of breath in person with heart failure
    Muscle weakness, especially in the shoulders and thighs"

I believe he came to this conclusion because of your slow metabolism (hypothyroidism). Might want to post this question in general health as Tryska or Delphi would be knowledgeable about thyroid conditions.

i think he thinks you might have one becuase you say you gain weight on such little calories.

but IMHO i dont think you have a problem with your thyroid. I wouldnt worry too too much about it.

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    Hypothyroidism

Definition:
    Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland fails to produce enough thyroid hormone.

Alternative Names:
    Myxedema; Adult hypothyroidism

Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
    The thyroid gland, located in the front of the neck just below the larynx, secretes hormones that control metabolism. These hormones are thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3).
    The secretion of T3 and T4 is controlled by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus, which is part of the brain. Thyroid disorders may result not only from defects in the thyroid gland itself, but also from abnormalities of the pituitary or hypothalamus.

Hypothyroidism, or underactivity of the thyroid gland, may cause a variety of symptoms and may affect all body functions. The body's normal rate of functioning slows, causing mental and physical sluggishness. The symptoms may vary from mild to severe, with the most severe form called myxedema, which is a medical emergency.

The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, a disease of the thyroid gland where the body's immune system attacks the gland. Failure of the pituitary gland to secrete a hormone to stimulate the thyroid gland (secondary hypothyroidism) is a less common cause of hypothyroidism. Other causes include congenital defects, surgical removal of the thyroid gland, irradiation of the gland, or inflammatory conditions.

Risk factors include age over 50 years, female gender, obesity, thyroid surgery, and exposure of the neck to x-ray or radiation treatments.

Symptoms:
    Early symptoms:

weakness
    fatigue
    cold intolerance
    constipation
    weight gain (unintentional)
    depression
    joint or muscle pain
    thin, brittle fingernails
    thin and brittle hair
    pale color
    Late symptoms:

slow speech
    dry flaky skin
    thickening of the skin
    puffy face, hands and feet
    decreased taste and smell
    thinning of eyebrows
    hoarseness
    abnormal menstrual periods
    Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:

overalls welling
    muscle spasms (cramps)
    muscle pain
    muscle atrophy
    uncoordinated movement
    absent menstruation
    joint stiffness
    dry hair
    hair loss
    facial swelling
    drowsiness
    appetite loss
    ankle, feet, and leg swelling
    short stature
    separated sutures
    delayed formation or absence of teeth

Signs and tests:
    A physical examination reveals delayed relaxation of muscles during tests of reflexes. Pale, yellow skin; loss of the outer edge of the eyebrows; thin and brittle hair; coarse facial features; brittle nails; firm swelling of the arms and legs; and mental slowing may be noted. Vital signs may reveal slow heart rate, low blood pressure, and low temperature.

A chest X-ray may reveal an enlarged heart.

Laboratory tests to determine thyroid function include:

T4 test (low)
    serum TSH (high in primary hypothyroidism, low or low-normal in secondary hypothyroidism)
    Additional laboratory abnormalities may include:

increased cholesterol levels
    increased liver enzymes
    increased serum prolactin
    low serum sodium
    a complete blood count (CBC) that shows anemia

Treatment:
    This version of the Encyclopedia has no treatment information. Please discuss any and all treatment options for your condition with your healthcare professional.

Expectations (prognosis):
    With treatment, return to the normal state is usual. Life-long medication is needed. Myxedema coma can result in death.

Complications:
    Myxedema coma, the most severe form of hypothyroidism, is rare. It may be caused by an infection, illness, exposure to cold, or certain medications in an individual with untreated hypothyroidism. Symptoms and signs of myxedema coma include unresponsiveness, decreased breathing, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, and below normal temperature.

Other complications are heart disease, increased risk of infection, infertility, and miscarriage.

Calling your health care provider:
    Call your health care provider if signs of hypothyroidism (or myxedema) are present.

Call your health care provider if chest pain or rapid heart beat occur, infection occurs, symptoms worsen or do not improve with treatment, or new symptoms develop.

Prevention:
    There is no prevention for hypothyroidism; however, screening tests in newborns can detect congenital hypothyroidism.

Taken From: http://mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns...Sz001159zPzhtm

I don't really have any of those symptoms...

Maybe one or two from time to time but I really don't have any of those.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal: