Thread: DC Method

Threaded View

DC Method

Has anyone tried the DC Method? I've been looking over it and it looks like one of the best size routines I've seen. It's promoted by a guy who goes by the online name of "DoggCrapp", who is a 300 lb monster (granted he's on juice). I read a bit of what he's said, and he's helped several natural trainees (that did not just start lifting) put on 30lbs of muscle in a year.

Here's a rough overview of his routine (I'll include a sample):
    Pick 2 compound exercises (that are going to be easy to go to failure on) for the following bodyparts:

Day 1
    Chest
    shoulders
    triceps
    back width (Wide grip chins, pull-downs, etc)
    back thickness (rows, deads, stuff that adds mass)

Day 2
    biceps
    forearms
    calves
    hams
    quads

You'll be doing 1 (ONLY ONE) work set for each of the muscles above (you still do warm-ups and everything).

After you finish the warm-up, you do that one set to complete and absolute failure (try to aim for the 7-10 rep range). After that, you rest for about 15-20 seconds and then go again to complete failure. Rest another 20 seconds and go again. At the end of that lift, have the spotter lift the bar up and then you lower it to the sticky point in your lift (on some lifts you may choose not to do this, but it's generally reccomended) and hold it there for as long as you can. Have the spotter lift the bar back up, and then do a really slow negative.

Note: On all work sets, you should have as explosive a concentric movement and as slow a eccentric movement as possible (aim for 4-8 seconds when you lower it, but you don't need a stopwatch or anything).

Now, you do "extreme stretching" (I'll explain this better below).

After that, you're done with that bodypart and you move on to the next. Be sure to cool down and stretch again (just normal stretch) at the end of the workout.

Try to incorporate some active recovery as best you can so that you have as short rests between workouts as possible.

The average person would do:
    Monday - Day I (First exercises)
    Wednesday - Day II (First exercises)
    Friday - Day I (Second exercises)
    Monday - Day II (Second exercises)
    Wednesday - Day I (First exercises)
    etc...so 1 1/2x per week you'd be working the same muscle group. If you think you have above average recovery ability, then you might want to consider going 2x/week or close to it.

Ok, so here's a sample routine and DC's explanation of the way to do all the extreme stretches:

Day I:
    Low Incline Bench Press – 1 x 7
    Seated Military Press – 1 x 8
    Tricep Push-Downs – 1 x 9
    Wide-Grip Rear Pulldowns – 1 x 8
    Dead Lifts – 1 x 8

Day II:
    Machine Curls – 1 x 14
    Hammer Curls – 1 x 14
    Hack Squat-Style Calve-Raises – 1 x 8
    Hamstring Curls – 1 x 8
    Squats – 1 x 8

Day III:
    Crossovers – 1 x 8
    Upright Rows – 1 x 10
    BW Dips - 1 x as many as possible (And still do rest pauses at the end)
    BW Wide Grip Chin-ups -1 x as many as possible (And still do rest pauses at the end)
    Bent Rows – 1 x 8

Day IV:
    BB Curls – 1 x 14
    Wrist Curls – 1 x 14
    Standing Calf Raises – 1 x 12
    SLDL – 1 x 8
    Leg Extensions – 1 x 14

Notes:
    Calves are to be done in a different style than the other exercises. Perform a fairly explosive concentric, followed by a 5 second concentric, and then a 15 second stretch at the very bottom (still do rest pauses and finish with a static hold/negative).

Extreme Stretches:
    Chest
    Flat bench 90lb dumbbells chest high--lungs full of air--first 10 seconds drop down into deepest stretch and then next 50 seconds really push the stretch (this really, really hurts) but do it faithfully and come back and post on the AE message board in 4 weeks and tell me if your chest isn't much fuller and rounder

Triceps
    Seated on a flat bench-my back up against the barbell---75lb dumbbell in my hand behind my head (like in an overhead dumbbell extension)--sink dumbbell down into position for the first 10 seconds and then an agonizing 50 seconds slightly leaning back and pushing the dumbbell down with the back of my head

Shoulders
    This one is tough to describe--put barbell in squat rack shoulder height--face away from it and reach back and grab it palms up (hands on bottom of bar)---walk yourself outward until you are on your heels and the stretch gets painful--then roll your shoulders downward and hold for 60 seconds

Biceps
    Just like the above position but hold barbell palms down now (hands on top of bar)--sink down in a squatting position first and if you can hack it into a kneeling position and then if you can hack that sink your butt down--60 seconds--I cannot make it 60 seconds-- I get to about 45—it’s too painful--if you can make it 60 seconds you are either inhuman or you need to raise the bar up another rung

Back
    Honestly for about 3 years my training partner and I would hang a 100lb dumbbell from our waist and hung on the widest chinup bar (with wrist straps) to see who could get closest to 3 minutes--I never made it--I think 2 minutes 27 seconds was my record--but my back width is by far my best body part--I pull on a doorknob or stationary equipment with a rounded back now and it’s way too hard too explain here--just try it and get your feel for it

Hamstrings
    Either leg up on a high barbell holding my toe and trying to force my leg straight with my free hand for an excruciating painful 60 seconds

Quads
    Facing a barbell in a power rack about hip high --grip it and simultaneously sink down and throw your knees under the barbell and do a sissy squat underneath it while going up on your toes. Then straighten your arms and lean as far back as you can---60 seconds and if this one doesn't make you hate my guts and bring tears to your eyes nothing will---do this one faithfully and tell me in 4 weeks if your quads don’t look a lot different than they used to
    Dieting:
    He's really big on following his plans on diet. I'm not going to get into the science (though in his posts he did), but he basically suggested:
    1. Eat ~2x BW (lbs / g) in protien each day
    2. Trace carbs past around 6-7 pm
    3. Take in your EFAs (he suggests extra virgin olive oil because it's cheap)

For those of you wondering WHY it works (in simple terms):
    The idea of the program is to progress in the 7-10 range (ideal for maximal hypertrophy) every workout. Many progression workouts ask you to start with submaximal loads, but DC's method uses your absolute maximum capacity, making sure to fully work the muscle. By using the slow negatives, static holds, etc. you can gain enough strength to progress every workout. Thanks to the extreme stretches and active recovery, you're able to workout sooner than you would otherwise be able to, thus allowing you to grow more often than the usual once/week style routine. DC's is the only routine that I've come across that has allowed people to say in the 5-10 range, work to failure, and be able to progress more than once/week.

The extreme stretching is an absolute must, and will help you grow (he backed this claim up with hyperplasia and the fact that with all the people he's trained it's worked wonders).

One more thing ... unless you are in excellent shape, it's probably a good idea to take 1-2 weeks off from failure after 4-6 weeks of this program. This will allow your muscles to recover and allow you to keep gaining strength and size for the next 4-6 weeks.

Other bonuses: even though this is aimed towards size, it will increase your strength and flexibility a lot more than most size-based programs. It's also a pretty painful routine, which will help you deal with pain and all ..

I generally aim to train sort of like a strongman, but I came across this and thought you guys might be interested (and it looks so close to perfect that I would be interested in seeing more people's results with it).

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them ..
    Last edited by KingJustin; 06-19-2003 at 06:29 PM.