The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Eating too much tuna?

I eat about 3 cans of tuna a day and lately my first piss of the morning has started smelling like tuna. Could this be a sign of eating too much tuna or is it natural to have tuna smelling piss?
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have coffee smelling piss until about noon every day.

2 pots of that rich hot bold black goodness will do that to ya.

Just make sure you're getting plenty of water, maybe drop to 2 cans/day.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

According to FDA guidelines you should stick to ~1 6oz. can of tuna per day due to the mercury content of tuna. I know that is kind of off topic.

I am sure that if you decreased the amount of tuna you are eating it would take care of the smell.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by bradley
    According to FDA guidelines you should stick to ~1 6oz. can of tuna per day due to the mercury content of tuna. I know that is kind of off topic.

I am sure that if you decreased the amount of tuna you are eating it would take care of the smell.
    Actually, I am almost 100% positive that the only people who need to worry about Mercury levels in tuna are pregnant women. Does anyone else have information on this subject?

Don't worry about the tuna pish

Originally posted by T-Bone976
    Actually, I am almost 100% positive that the only people who need to worry about Mercury levels in tuna are pregnant women. Does anyone else have information on this subject?

Don't worry about the tuna pish
    This was taken from the following page:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/mercury.html

"FDA toxicologists have determined that for persons other than pregnant women and women of childbearing age who may become pregnant, regular consumption of fish species with methyl mercury levels around 1 part per million (ppm)--such as shark and swordfish--should be limited to about 7 ounces per week (about one serving) to stay below the acceptable daily intake for methyl mercury. For fish with levels averaging 0.5 ppm, regular consumption should be limited to about 14 ounces per week. Current evidence indicates that nursing women who follow this advice do not expose their infants to increased risk from methyl mercury. "

Canned tuna averages .2 ppm so maybe it is something to think about.
    Last edited by bradley; 06-17-2003 at 10:13 AM.

asparagus play games with your piss too...

if a girl had tuna smelling piss, i would guess it might not be the piss, but the pisser...crazy kids and their crazy vd
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    And I can present a study that showed chronic mercury poisoning in cats after a tuna only diet in a few months. I limit myself to 3/4 cans a week.

I dont know about u guys... but I eat tuna like 2 to 4 cans a day... And my piss smells like... you guessed it.. piss.

- Kaz

Is there any kind of home self test anybody can do to check on their mercury levels? As I've been eating anywhere from 1-2 cans of tuna a day for the past 4-5 years, and that's probalby alot of mercury I've put in my system.

If your hair/teeth haven't fallen out yet, you're probably safe.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by CBates
    Is there any kind of home self test anybody can do to check on their mercury levels? As I've been eating anywhere from 1-2 cans of tuna a day for the past 4-5 years, and that's probalby alot of mercury I've put in my system.
    Yes it is, and the problem is that there's no research proving that steady low intakes of methyl mercury are safe. It has a half life of around 40 days so it doesn't take a genius to understand that you will build quite high amounts of it in your system with chronic comsumption of it. No one really knows if the current raise in EMS , Alzheimers and Parkinsons diseases is not related. But anyway, to most people if doesn't make you drop dead then all is fine.

Umm, I eat 4 cans of tuna a day while on cycle, and 2 almost every day when not. And I'm fine, and my piss smells normal.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Madd Hatter
    Umm, I eat 4 cans of tuna a day while on cycle, and 2 almost every day when not. And I'm fine, and my piss smells normal.
    Have your mercury levels checked, and then do some research on the subject. A regular person that has a few servings of fish per week is not at risk but you certainly are. I suggest you read the FDA article Bradley has posted in this or some of the other threads on this. Even they are warning against too high intakes of fish at this point.
    Last edited by restless; 06-17-2003 at 04:07 PM.

What about shrimp? Does anybody know if shrimp has any kind of levels of mercury to be worried about?

Originally posted by CBates
    What about shrimp? Does anybody know if shrimp has any kind of levels of mercury to be worried about?
    No I wouldn't worry about shrimp. Usually the higher up the fish is on the food chain the more mercury it will contain, hence the reason shark and swordfish are among the fish at the top of the list.

Wannabebig Member
    I have coffee smelling piss until about noon every day.

2 pots of that rich hot bold black goodness will do that to ya.

Just make sure you're getting plenty of water, maybe drop to 2 cans/day.
    I think I read in Men's Health Magazine that more than 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day can be poisonous tuttut
    Stats:
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 165
    Bench: 225 x 1
    Sqaut: 315 x 1
    Deadlift: 275 x 6

Goal:
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175
    Bench: 250 x 1
    Sqaut: 350 x 1
    Deadlift: 350 x 1

Originally posted by Big Steve

I think I read in Men's Health Magazine that more than 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day can be poisonous tuttut
    That is a new one

Do you have any links?

GONNA GET BIG
    who cares about the mercury, if its got lots of protien then just eat it. whats mercury gonna do kill ya???

you could die tomorow in a car accident anyways.

Wannabebig Member
    Did anyone read farther down the article to see this:

"Consumption advice is unnecessary for the top 10 seafood species, making up about 80 percent of the seafood market--canned tuna, shrimp, pollock, salmon, cod, catfish, clams, flatfish, crabs, and scallops. This is because the methyl mercury levels in these species are all less than 0.2 ppm and few people eat more than the suggested weekly limit of fish (2.2 pounds) for this level of methyl mercury contamination. "

I usually have 6-7 6oz cans per week. I should be ok. Maybe too much more than that would begin to cause adverse side effects.

And yes, too much mercury could kill you.

Dang, at least try to learn something before throwing in some random comment.
    What caused you to do that?

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Originally posted by drew
    If your hair/teeth haven't fallen out yet, you're probably safe.
    My mother works in the seafood industry, as a wholeseller, and this is basically what she said. Sure, they can feed mice murcury and say its bad for you, but where are the human cases? I asked her honest opinion because i assumed she would know better than most, and she would tell me to not eat it if it was bad. She told me that alaskan communities eat mostly tuna... how come they arent all messed up? Even the pregnant mothers eat tuna... why are their kids all okay? Because tuna is ok! Or maybe my mom is just worried that i'll stop buying canned tuna ;-) but i hope not.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by JuniorMint6669

My mother works in the seafood industry, as a wholeseller, and this is basically what she said. Sure, they can feed mice murcury and say its bad for you, but where are the human cases? I asked her honest opinion because i assumed she would know better than most, and she would tell me to not eat it if it was bad. She told me that alaskan communities eat mostly tuna... how come they arent all messed up? Even the pregnant mothers eat tuna... why are their kids all okay? Because tuna is ok! Or maybe my mom is just worried that i'll stop buying canned tuna ;-) but i hope not.
    mother knows best

Originally posted by JuniorMint6669

That is the whole argument. Mercury builds up in your body over time. Granted this will be a non-issue for most people because they do not consume a large amount of canned tuna, but for people who eat 2 and 3 cans everyday the mercury issue is probably more of a concern.

Are the Alaskan people eating 2-3lbs. of tuna per week, or are they varying the seafood they are eating? Bottom line is if you eat large amounts of tuna it might be something to keep in mind. Will you drop dead tomorrow, I doubt it. Could you develop some disease later in life, maybe. Nothing is guaranteed but it might be wise to take it all into consideration and not just right it off.

Wannabebig Member
    I eat 1 to 2 cans of tuna daily. I eat Cod or Salmon once a day. Should I worry? Probably.

But coffee is bad for you,
    so is lowering your body fat too much,
    dancing ruins your knees,
    skydiving can put a serious dent in your lifestyle if you dont pay attention,
    typing on a keyboard gives you tendon troubles,
    athletic training can bust you joints,
    being in shape can get you into fights just cos ppl wanna prove a point,
    looking at the cute chick walking past when you are crossing a busy road will get you run over,
    taking a breath on the same street someone is smoking will poison you a small amount ........

Basically everything in life is taking you one step closer to death. Im 34 and can run up 200 flights of stairs and so far I havnt died of tuna poisoning. Ill take my chances

Whats the alternative? Bic mac and chocolate cake probably have a lot less mercury :P
    6 ft tall

1st Aug : 172lbs - Seriously cut
    5th dec : 193 lbs - lost definition around waist. Slight loss of mobility in mid section.
    24th feb: 211 lbs - Has anyone seen my abs? I seem to have lost them.
    29th April : 200 lbs and Ive seen sightings of my abs!

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by MorganB
    I eat 1 to 2 cans of tuna daily. I eat Cod or Salmon once a day. Should I worry? Probably.

But coffee is bad for you,
    so is lowering your body fat too much,
    dancing ruins your knees,
    skydiving can put a serious dent in your lifestyle if you dont pay attention,
    typing on a keyboard gives you tendon troubles,
    athletic training can bust you joints,
    being in shape can get you into fights just cos ppl wanna prove a point,
    looking at the cute chick walking past when you are crossing a busy road will get you run over,
    taking a breath on the same street someone is smoking will poison you a small amount ........

Basically everything in life is taking you one step closer to death. Im 34 and can run up 200 flights of stairs and so far I havnt died of tuna poisoning. Ill take my chances

Whats the alternative? Bic mac and chocolate cake probably have a lot less mercury :P

Originally posted by MorganB

How long have you been eating 1-2 cans daily?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg