The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Training Time

Training Time

Folks,
    I'm a little concerned about the amount of time my workout sessions last. Most days my workouts don't last much longer than 30 minutes. If the weight room isn't too crowded I can be done faster than that. I don't rush, but I keep a steady pace. I don't rest much between sets, and I work out alone. I'm currently doing WBB Routine 1 except I substituted Leg Press for Hack Squats because Hacks hurt my knee. Should my sessions be lasting longer? Should I add sets/reps/exercises?
    Thanks,
    blu

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you are doing WBB 1 then don't mess with it. Its laid out pretty well. I don't think its supposed to last that long. How long do you think you are resting in between sets?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

HY,
    I usually rest long enough to change the weight, and get a drink of water, so 30 seconds to 1 minute tops.

mine last about 45 minutes. and im doing more volume then the WBB routines. if you get done in 30 minutes, and you kept it intense, and worked your ass off, then 30 minutes is all you need.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I'm not doing the WBB routine, but my normal workouts range from 40 mins on leg/bicep days and around 50-55 on the other days. I don't think I would change anything.

I would think that it would be beneficial to rest longer between sets. It will let you put up more reps or lift more weight.

I sort of had the opposite question ..
    Can someone in good condition work out for more than an hour, or is there some reason why that would be bad? I train for strength/power, and on ME type days I can't fit but around 4 exercises (usually 3 sets) in without going right to 1 hour. Still, at the end of the workout, I don't think I'm too tired to do another exercise or two, but I've refused to do it thus far ..

when I was on wbb routine 1 I was done around ~40-50 minutes, and on training day with abs it was around an hour.

warmup, keep it real intense, rest a little between sets to recover, use slow negatives.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

I generally take an hour or a little less on WBB1. I always do 1 warmup set, then 2 work sets. Rest 1-2 minutes between sets. Sometimes 3 minutes if I'm trying to make a big increase from the previous week.

Are you controlling your reps? You may be rushing through and not even realize it. Concentrate on squeezing out a really quality rep every single time.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I just started WBB1 on 5-31, and it takes me about 40-50 minutes. Between sets I change the weights, get a quick drink at the water fountain, check out the @$$ on the chick in the yoga class, check my progress with my little notebook journal. I rest maybe 2-3 minutes between sets. I do the abs on leg day, so sometimes I can mix em in with the calf raises. The extra minute or so of rest between sets may let ya get in that last rep before failure. I love the routine, making good progress, and after seeing me, my cousin is doing it too!

Thanks guys,
    I think one of the main reasons that my sessions are not taking as long is because the gym isn't as crowded as it usually is. I work out at my college's weight room, and during fall and spring semester sometimes there is a line to get into the weight room, and a 1 hour max you can stay in there. It's ridiculous sometimes, but the scenery is nice. I'm working my way up. Each week my workout gets more and more intense.
    Thanks