The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

fructose in strawberries?

yes/no?

would they be considered a no-no on a carb-up for a CKD diet mixed with oatmeal?
    Best Regards,

Da' Iron Chef

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For a carb refeed or cheat day it's fine.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Good for a refeed.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

actually, ive heard that you want to stay away from fructose on refeeds becuase it replenishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Damn liver. Always getting in the way and causing problems.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    actually, ive heard that you want to stay away from fructose on refeeds becuase it replenishes liver glycogen instead of muscle glycogen.
    I always though Higher GI carbs were better during refeeds.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

yes, higher-GI as in cereal or highly processed foods. remember, apples are also full of sugar, but they are very low on the GI.

plus you need to remember there is a difference between frunctose, and other types of sugars/carbs.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Meh, I always thought fructose would be a better option compared to all that processed crap in children's cereals.

I'll do some research on it

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Here we go

Carbs should come from simple sources, e.g. Sucrose, Glucose, Fructose, Maltodextrin, etc.
    Refilling liver glycogen is important during the refeed, so try to take some Fructose at each meal, e.g. Bananas, Grapes, Pineapple, Dried Apricots.

That excerpt was taken from this article

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/.../article18.htm
    Last edited by Manveet; 06-21-2003 at 08:12 PM.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Re: fructose in strawberries?

Originally posted by Godson
    yes/no?

would they be considered a no-no on a carb-up for a CKD diet mixed with oatmeal?
    Fructose makes up about 30-45% of the sugars in stawberries, or about 20-35% of the total carbs. The rest of the sugars are mostly glucose and sucrose (sucrose = glucose+fructose). I think that fruit and fructose could be beneficial during refeeds, but the majoriity of the carbs should come from other sources.
    Last edited by aka23; 06-21-2003 at 08:40 PM.

yes, but just remember. this is a carb-up for a CKD. it's fine to have SOME fructose in MODERATION but keep in mind that the fuller your liver glycogen is (from the fructose) the HARDER it could possibly becuase to get back into ketosis.

yes, but just remember. this is a carb-up for a CKD. it's fine to have SOME fructose in MODERATION but keep in mind that the fuller your liver glycogen is (from the fructose) the HARDER it could possibly becuase to get back into ketosis.
    I agree with what you are saying, but I think one should consume some fructose when carbing up. If you were to not consume fructose on a carb up you could possibly cause the liver to remain in a catabolic state which might negate any possible muscle growth that could come along with the carb load. If you do not have trouble establishing ketosis after the carb load then I would not worry about it. If you do find that you have trouble establishing ketosis after the carb load, then just do a little low/moderate intensity cardio which should help.

Also I would recommend following the guidelines for a planned refeed since you do want to get the metabolic benefits of the carb load. You do want a little spillover into fat stores which will have a beneficial effect on leptin levels, and this would also ensure that glycogen levels are topped off as well.
    Last edited by bradley; 06-22-2003 at 04:33 AM.

ive actually heard of people having some fruit (becuase of the fructose) before they have their depleation workout. as for the reasoning, im not sure. ill have to check on it.

ive actually heard of people having some fruit (becuase of the fructose) before they have their depleation workout. as for the reasoning, im not sure. ill have to check on it.
    Yes I have seen this recommended as well. The reasoning behind this is so that the liver will have time to begin producing certain enzymes before the all out carb load begins. It was recommended that the individual take in ~25-50g of carbs with a meal about 5 hours before the depletion workout. The meal should consist of protein and can also include fat, and the type of carbohydrate was not really specified.

Then about 2 hours before the depletion workout the individual would consume a mixture of fructose and glucose to help begin refilling liver glycogen. Again ~25-50g of carbs was the amount recommended.