Thread: Keeping back AND legs straight during Good Mornings?

Keeping back AND legs straight during Good Mornings?

Hey all. If you remember from my journal, I am having trouble keeping good form on my good mornings.

No matter how much I stretch my hamstrings beforehand, I cannot complete the full ROM without rounding my back. My legs just do not let me.

Is it essential to bend over the full 90 degrees? The guy on exrx.net has no trouble.

When I try to keep my legs and back absolutely straight, I get a bad "tendon-pulling" feeling in the tops of my feet.

Thanks.

Try opening your stance a bit wider and remember to look up so as to keep your chin up.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

You seem to be doing fine on the arched back GM. You just want to get to your full ROM, not someone elses. What I mean is that you want a full stretch in your hammies while keeping your back arched. ONce your back rounds, you are working your back more than your hams and are doing a rounded back GM. So stop when you feel that you are rounding your back.

Also, a tip. Don't think about bending your torso forward, that will happen automatically. Just think about sticking your ass out as far as you possibly can. That should help you with the form.
    hmmmmmmm... will i ever be big enough?

Age- 17
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 160

RAW lifts
    Bench- 225(1)
    Deadlift-350(1)
    Squat-285(1)

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Ever think about doing the bent- leg good mornings instead? I can't do straight legged GMs either but I can get an awesome ROM on bent-legged ones.

Do bent-leg GMs work the hamstrings as much? That DOES work for the ROM.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. My concern with ROM is that I will not be getting as strong for the weight as I should be, like not going all the way to parallel on squats.