Thread: I m confused plss help out!!!

Wannabebig Member

I m confused plss help out!!!

hi,
    I am new to working out but in my first month my biceps increased like one inch from12 to 13. It feels good, i like it but the thing is my main aim is not to get big. its to get muscular (cuts on biceps n all over the body) and be strong. Gaining strength is the priority rather than getting big. I am confused by what people are telling me to do. Everybody has a new prospective and new advice and i just wonder what to go for.e.g. a guy said if u want cuts do large reps like 20 or 25 instead of doing 8 which i normmally do (ofcourse with less weight).

Monday.
    Chest:
    Flat Bench Press 3 sets (increasing weight and lowering reps) Incline Bench Press 1 set of 8 reps.
    Pec Decks 3 sets (12 reps max) last set to failure
    Dumbell pullover 3 sets (12 reps max) last set to failure

Triceps:
    Pulley Pushdowns 3sets (12 reps max) last set to failure
    Close grip bench press 3 sets (12 reps max)last set to failure

Abs:
    2 sets of 20 reps of Decline Crunches
    2 sets of 20 reps of Romen chair

Tuesday, wed n thursday off.

Friday:
    Biceps:
    Barbell Curls 3 sets(increasing weight and lowering reps)
    Seated Barbell Curls 3 sets(increasing weight and lowering reps)
    Concentration Curls 3 sets (max 12 reps) last set to failure
    Incline Dumbell Curls 3 sets (max 12 reps) last set to failure
    Hammer Curls 3 sets (max 12 reps) last set to failure

3 sets of lat pulldowns and Squats (increasing weight and lowering reps)

Abs:
    2 sets of 20 reps of Decline Crunches
    2 sets of 20 reps of Romen chair

Saturday, Sundays off.

is this routine good enough to get my aim. I m confused like a chicken with a cat ready to pounce on it plss help.

OK...you need to clarify...

You mentioned you don't want to get big but you want to get muscular? And you're looking to get stronger but not necessarily bigger....that's a little wonky...

OK...if you're looking to get 'cuts' (and I'm assuming definition), that's going to be affected more by your diet than anything else. Even if you're training properly, if you're diet ain't there, you're not going to see anything. Oh...and you don't have to do 20-25 reps....keep the rep range in the 6-10 area. That should be good enough.

As for getting stronger....that might be difficult if you want to cut. When you're cutting, usually you're not eating as much as you're trying to burn fat which can affect your energy levels which can affect strength gains. I'm not saying you can't get strong while cutting but it's difficult. Also, if you want to get strong, your workout ain't the greatest. Stick to big heavy compound movements like squats, deadlifts, militaries, rows, chins and benches. Increasing poundages on those lifts will get you stronger alot quicker than doing hammer curls.

Lastly....I"d like to point one thing out. You're doing 3 sets for lats, and 3 sets for legs but you're doing 15 sets for your biceps. Last I checked, biceps are a hell of alot smaller than either your lats or legs. You don't need to do that much for your arms. In fact, if you do that routine for a prolonged period of time, I wouldn't be surprised if your arms shrunk in size. Cut back on the arm work and concentrate more on the bigger body parts.

Anyways, I come back to the question...what exactly are you trying to do? If you're looking to get strong but not necessarily big, you might even want to consider a powerlifting routine....

Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    first of all tnx for the reply man. ok lemme tell u the whole thing. yeh i may sound immature AND STUPID but the thing is i m quite good looking and i want a body like those baywatch models perfectly toned and defined. I know its silly but i can make it cos i got a good body (DONT EVEN READ IT). I also want to be an arm wrestler not on the pro level but in my college level. It's my goal to compete in next years sports. Most of the pro arm wrestlers as we all know are monsterly huge n big (fat). So thats why i dont want to get very big. So as far as i have figured out i want to have a good looking body and i want to be strong at the same time to compete in the competiton (thats why i said i didnt want to get big). i got 6 months left and as i workout 2wice a week it means i got 48 workouts left to make it or lose it. what do u advice now. did i mention i m 19 years old.

if you want stronger biceps, do some squats. if you want bigger arms, do some deadlifts. exercises like that make you bigger and stronger all around rather than wasting your time being a curl jockey. read the forums and try to gain some knowledge before you start your training
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 06-24-2003 at 07:09 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    thanx to unshift for the reply. the rest of you guys if u just wanted to have fun and embarrasse me u shouldnt have read it in the first place. What do u think if i had enough knowledge i would be here begging you people to help me huh??? This is real pathetic. i m hurt, and as far as the grammer and punctuation is concerned i didnt know i was in an English class. thanx anyways. u guys did teach me a lesson and that is not to ask to people who dont even got feelings and suck big time. i think i will go back to my college coach for help. thanx bigtime. and i am not a tourist.