Thread: Eat good fat to lose fat?

Eat good fat to lose fat?

I've heard this before somewhere but my wife hadn't. Is it true that consumption of "good" fat will help you lose fat while dieting? If so, why would it help you burn stored fat any quicker? As in, are there any studies that prove it? And which are the "good" fats you're supposed to consume to do this?

Re: Eat good fat to lose fat?

Originally posted by Delphi
    I've heard this before somewhere but my wife hadn't. Is it true that consumption of "good" fat will help you lose fat while dieting? If so, why would it help you burn stored fat any quicker? As in, are there any studies that prove it? And which are the "good" fats you're supposed to consume to do this?
    From what I understand omega 3 fatty acids are the first fats to be released from fat cells when dieting and this leaves other fats that tend to promote fat storage in the fat cells (saturated fats and omega 6s).

The above is important because of the effects that omega 3s have on gene expression, which basically comes down to the fact that omega 3s support fat burning while decreasing fat storage.

This would be the one of the main reasons that EFAs are so important.

I don't have any studies off hand but I will see if I can dig some up later