Thread: 21's for Biceps

21's for Biceps

Hi guys, I just remembered an exercise that I used to do like 7 years ago. It is called 21ís. For those of you who do not know, this is a bicep curl with a twist. You bring the bar up to about just below your chest for seven times. You then without stopping bring the bar all the way up and then down to your chest seven times. Finally, again without stopping you complete seven full range bicep curls. I remember this exercise used to pump me up big time. Anyways, at that time I worked out my biceps once a week and four sets of those gave me some awesome results and a few stretch marks. Since I did them like 7 years ago (what a coincidence huh) I am not sure if they have been proven as ineffective or if there are better methods. What do you guys have to say on the subject?

Man I remember the first time the veins on my biceps bulged out (not with 21ís, I think it was preacher curls). After that, they never went back in. Now thanks to my crappy diet those days are just memories. I hope to be seeing my friends back real soon in about 3-4 months.

HUUUUGGGEEEEE
    i used to do them...a friend of mine showed it to me. he caled it "crazy eights"

i sometimes like to finish with 21's.....i realy like doing 21's for the triceps!!! skull krushers, pullovers, then closegrip bench press. thats killer
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Under Construction
    I wonder why the exercise is a 21? Why not 18 or 24 or 15 or some other multiple of 3? What if you do a 20 or 19, will your biceps still grow? Why do people usually do them for their biceps but not their chest, legs or back. Is the biceps a magical muscle that responds to 21s? Also, what is the point of doing so many partials, its not like you can target different parts of the biceps.

Not trying to be an a$$, I just see people doing them and I do not know why. If you work all your other muscles hard and heavy, why do 21 reps for biceps. They should be worked in roughly the same rep scheme as everthing else. Also, you have to go lighter in weight to get the reps in.

I believe the biceps should be worked hard and heavy.

And just because you get a pump, does not necessarily mean growth. I could curl a 10 lb dumbell 100 times and get one hell of a pump, but will I grow? Probably not.
    Just one guy's opinion.

You sound like Seinfeld. I believe that the order and manner in which they are done isolate the bicep more and make the contraction much harder when you complete the last seven reps. I am sorry but unfortunately, I do not have a better explanation. Also, some of us really like the pump when we work out. It is one of the best feelings you can get when working out. Just ask Arnold.

21's are wonderful!
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Originally posted by mpi
    I wonder why the exercise is a 21? Why not 18 or 24 or 15 or some other multiple of 3? What if you do a 20 or 19, will your biceps still grow? Why do people usually do them for their biceps but not their chest, legs or back. Is the biceps a magical muscle that responds to 21s? Also, what is the point of doing so many partials, its not like you can target different parts of the biceps.

Not trying to be an a$$, I just see people doing them and I do not know why. If you work all your other muscles hard and heavy, why do 21 reps for biceps. They should be worked in roughly the same rep scheme as everthing else. Also, you have to go lighter in weight to get the reps in.

I believe the biceps should be worked hard and heavy.

And just because you get a pump, does not necessarily mean growth. I could curl a 10 lb dumbell 100 times and get one hell of a pump, but will I grow? Probably not.
    Spot on. This is exactly corrrect. 21's are not a good choice for bicep growth. All you are doing is fatigueing the bicep not stimulating growth. Do you think doing 21 reps of bench press or squats is a good approach. Biceps are no different to any other muscle and should be trained in the same manner.

In order to curl 21 times imagine the weight you would have to use, compared to what you would normally handle. Because of it being so much lighter you will not stimulate enough muscle fibres and ultimatley very little growth.

A lot of people like 21s becuase of the burn they feel from it. This is just lactic acid building up because of the number of reps. Latic acid build up is very catabolic and should be avoided.

I would recommend that you do not do 21s

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I recommend you do 12s instead. I think 12s would be much more suited to your goals if they are growth and weight gain.
    12s, also called boxcars!

Under Construction
    Originally posted by harryhoudini66
    You sound like Seinfeld. I believe that the order and manner in which they are done isolate the bicep more and make the contraction much harder when you complete the last seven reps. I am sorry but unfortunately, I do not have a better explanation. Also, some of us really like the pump when we work out. It is one of the best feelings you can get when working out. Just ask Arnold.
    Explain how 21s isolate the biceps more than any other curl? Is it just because your are doing more reps? Also, explain how a pump can lead to hypertrophy? Like I posted before, I can curl a 10 lb dumbell 100 times and get a pump but this will not lead to growth.

Yes, Arnold loves the pump but really does not provide more than that. Arnold also believes you can expand your ribcage and spot reduce.

For those that love 21s so much, start doing them for every body part. Lower the weight down on all lifts like bench press, squats, military presses, rows etc. and do them with the partial rep scheme of a 21. Keep us updated on your progress.

I guess you did not realize that I started this thread because I am not sure if they are good or not. It is going to be very hard for me to explain why it works better without trying to bull shiet you. At this point it looks like the conversation is getting more traffic and I would really like to know if they work or not.

Under Construction
    I presented a few questions to ponder about exercises like 21s. There are always some vogue exercise that comes out and they are mostly printed in BB mags. If they did not have new and trendy exercises, then they would not sell.

If you lift heavy to gain size, I would not recommend 21s. If you are after endurance, then do them and all of your other body parts with high reps. I am not sure what your goals are. If you are looking to get big, use heavy weight with good form and reps in the 6-10 range. Biceps demand good form. Also, when you curl, do not move your back and keep your elbows pinned to your side or move them slightly back.
    Just one guy's opinion.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I think 21's are a gimmick also

and best done as a last set of a bi workout after the heavy stuff

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

3:16
    Effective range of motion exercise are better.

if 21's were that effective they would work for other muscle groups as well.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.