Thread: the perfect hot drink

The Tuna Tempter

the perfect hot drink

So it's winter down here in Australia, and I enjoy a good hot drink when it's cold. I find myself drinking a heap of coffee lately, with splenda and skim milk that is. But I don't want to be consuming to much caffeine, as it will interfere will my flax oil intake.

I decided to look for a new hot drink. I found it....cocoa powder! From what I gather, this has no sugar in it, unlike 'drinking chocolate', and has like 3g carbs per tblspoon. I'm not sure if I looked up the right thing on fitday though.

So that makes a nice hot drink that tastes better than coffee, with about 30 cals.

My question.....what exactly is cocoa?

Also, any other recipes for low cal/sugar hot drinks would be good

Do any of you drink cocoa powder? It's some good sh*t, especially considering the calories per serve.
    Last edited by Tank23; 06-22-2003 at 09:35 AM.
    Life's too short to be small

The Tuna Tempter
    Found the answer to my question on this site: http://www.mouthshut.com/readreview/31735-1.html

Cocoa comes from a small tree. The cocoa fruit, if thatís what you call it, is covered by a hard bark-like pod which contains the cocoa seeds. Children usually sip on the fresh seeds which is mildly sweet but tangy. The dried seeds are roasted then ground for better mixing effects. Commercial cocoas like Cadbury are processed not differently although some claim that theirs is a procedure that brings out the best in the cocoa. Natural cocoa does not easily dissolve in water or milk so there may be some truth to their claims

Re: the perfect hot drink

Originally posted by Tank23
    So it's winter down here in Australia, and I enjoy a good hot drink when it's cold. I find myself drinking a heap of coffee lately, with splenda and skim milk that is. But I don't want to be consuming to much caffeine, as it will interfere will my flax oil intake.
    I agree with what you are saying above, but if you are supplementing with flax oil for the omega 3 content then I would recommend going with fish oil over the flax oil.

The Tuna Tempter
    Yeh I totally agree with you Brad. I would switch to fish oil, but I've got a whole bottle/tin of flax oil still left, and I'm kinda on an extremely tight budget.

I will switch to fish oil when this flax oil runs out though. Thanks for the suggestion Brad.

how about some green tea? i am in love with that stuff.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

has anyone tried boiling milk and mixing chocolate whey protein powder in it? does it taste like hot chocolate minus the marshmallows?
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Woah dude!!!
    Current stats - 5'11, 190, 19%bf, beer gut.

I got beef with whoever can't help me make money - 50

Big Brat

Re: the perfect hot drink

I decided to look for a new hot drink. I found it....cocoa powder! From what I gather, this has no sugar in it, unlike 'drinking chocolate', and has like 3g carbs per tblspoon. I'm not sure if I looked up the right thing on fitday though.

So that makes a nice hot drink that tastes better than coffee, with about 30 cals.

My question.....what exactly is cocoa?

Also, any other recipes for low cal/sugar hot drinks would be good
    Do any of you drink cocoa powder? It's some good sh*t, especially considering the calories per serve.

HUH?? How does coffee interfere with flax oil intake?? I never knew this, I'm not much of a coffee drinker but I do have a diet coke now and then!!
    Last edited by Sara; 06-22-2003 at 11:01 PM.

The Tuna Tempter
    Hi Sara,
    Caffeine can inhibit the conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA. ALA is what's found in flax seed oil, it is a precursor of EPA/DHA.

-Tank

The Tuna Tempter
    GhettoSmurf: Green tea contains caffeine though, yeh?

You can get green tea in decaf, but otherwise it will contain caffeine.

Originally posted by bradley
    You can get green tea in decaf
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

The Tuna Tempter
    You can get green tea in decaf, but otherwise it will contain caffeine.
    Thanks for that Brad, might have to give it a go.

Green tea is good while cutting yah? What exactly does it do to help lose fat? Is it just the caffeine in the green tea that has the effect, or something else, exclusive to the green tea?

Green tea has very little caffeine (5 mg per serving) as opposed to 20mg for black tea and 30-50 for coffee (if my memory serves me correctly).
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Sara,
    Caffeine can inhibit the conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA. ALA is what's found in flax seed oil, it is a precursor of EPA/DHA.

-Tank
    what about flax oil and my ECA stack?
    Best Regards,

Da' Iron Chef

Originally posted by Godson

what about flax oil and my ECA stack?
    Well since the ECA does contain caffeine it could prevent the conversion of ALA into EPA. This relates to caffeine having an inhibitory effect on the delta 6 desaturate enzyme.

Wannabebig Member

Well since the ECA does contain caffeine it could prevent the conversion of ALA into EPA. This relates to caffeine having an inhibitory effect on the delta 6 desaturate enzyme.
    ahh....i see...?????

any other way to put it?
    Best Regards,

Da' Iron Chef

Thanks for that Brad, might have to give it a go.

Green tea is good while cutting yah? What exactly does it do to help lose fat? Is it just the caffeine in the green tea that has the effect, or something else, exclusive to the green tea?
    I believe green tea offers the most in the way of antioxidants, but I have seen one study mentioned that stated green tea would help prevent the catecholamines from being degraded. This would be useful in combination with an EC/ECA stack.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=green+tea
    Last edited by bradley; 06-23-2003 at 02:15 PM.

Originally posted by Godson

ahh....i see...?????

any other way to put it?
    Flax oil contains ALA which has to be converted into EPA and eventually DHA by the body. The problem occurs with caffeine because it prevents one of the enzymes from converting ALA into EPA, so basically the chain is broken so to speak.

Linolinec Acid-->stearidonic acid(caffeine causes a problem here)-->eicosatetraenic acid-->EPA

If you were to supplement with fish oil you could avoid this problem because fish oil already contains EPA/DHA.

The Tuna Tempter
    Thanks for the link you posted Brad. I followed the links posted in the first post of that thread. It seems green tea has a lot of health benefits. They even go as far as saying it can help reduce aging and prevent cancer.

I will definitely be trying some gree tea.

I realize this started as a search for a good drink, but I just wanted to mention that the best way to get all the beneficial properties of green tea, you should really take a green tea extract. I've read that you would have to drink A LOT of green tea in order reap the full benefits of it, compared to popping a couple pills or whatever.

Big Brat
    Hi Sara,

-Tank

Oh so if I have toomuch caffiene it will affect the function of flax I see! *goes to dump out the coffee beans*

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by Sara

Oh so if I have toomuch caffiene it will affect the function of flax I see! *goes to dump out the coffee beans*
    LOL....just don't consume caffeine in the hours surrounding your flax intake, that's what i do..

btw...does any one know if cocoa contains caffeine...lol I don't think it does, but i just wanna make sure coz i've been drinking it with my flax meals.

Fuzz: do you have a link for the site where you extracted that information from? Not that I don't believe you

Tank: Most of the info I've read came from this thread:

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=3799

Also see:

http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000018.htm

It seems that higher doses (~ 10 - 15 cups a day) have benefits relating to glucose/insulin sensitivity, and also have thermogenic benefits - particularily in combination with caffeine.

LOL....just don't consume caffeine in the hours surrounding your flax intake, that's what i do..

btw...does any one know if cocoa contains caffeine...lol I don't think it does, but i just wanna make sure coz i've been drinking it with my flax meals.

Fuzz: do you have a link for the site where you extracted that information from? Not that I don't believe you

The Tuna Tempter
    Thanks for that fuzz