Thread: want to learn olympic lifts

want to learn olympic lifts

now... every time i bring this up, everybody says "why do it if you're not training for a specific sport?"

i wanna train for a sport now... the sport of lifting

what would be the best way to (safely) go about learning olympic lifts and incorporating them into my routine? i'm not looking to compete... i'm actually looking to get nice and strong and probably plateau, i don't really care. bodybuilding lifting isn't really my style, because i don't really care about getting big.

now, because i am a poor student, i can't get a trainer or coach to help me. (and i checked, my school has no lifting team ) what's the best way of going about leaning these lifts properly? just watching/reading/etc and practice with just the bar?

Well...if you can find someone (not necessarily a coach) who can show you some stuff that would be good....but here are a few sites you can check out...You can learn by yourself to an extent but sooner or later, a coach would be good.

http://danjohn.org/coach.html
    http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/index.htm

These are two sites that really helped me get started!

Olympic Lifting Portal - excellent resource for all things related to oly lifting

JV Askem's site (the second link posted by Ja113) is a really good site to read up on. His site is usually recommended to newbs on the oly forums.

Get comfortable squatting and make sure your form is in check. Front squat, back squat, overhead squat, snatch balance. These will all build up your strength and flexibility needed for oly lifts. You should just start practicing the oly lifts with a broom or something similar until you get comfortable with the motion.

Get a coach, and find a good one if at all possible. Olympic lifting is so technical, and so technique driven, that it would be extremely difficult to gain any proficiency at it without proper instruction.

And if you want to compete in olympic lifting, find out who in your area is putting on competitions and go to them for some help in getting started. Most people in the iron game who are worth a **** are very happy to help others out.

B.

Well, I just re read your post, and you are not interested in competing. Then why bother? Olympic lifting is dangerous, and destroys your knees. And if you are doing it alone, and not in competition, it ain't a "sport". That is like calling whacking your pud sex.

If you are just wanting to get strong and athletic and don't particularly care about competing in oly. lifting or powerlifting, find any and every thing you can written by Pavel Tsatsouline, and that is the correct spelling. He writes about real life functional strength and is a former trainer for the soviet special forces. He knows a lot about being strong without getting big.

Also check out dragondoor.com very good website for those seeking real world functional strength.

B.

I'm inclined to agree, honestly.....though if you're really that keen on doing some OL work, keep it limited to the power versions of the lifts.

That tends to save a lot of wear and tear on the knees in the long run, and the lifts are a lot easier to do that way.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

find any and every thing you can written by Pavel Tsatsouline
    Does anyone have any links to some of his articles etc.?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Powerman, when you say the power version of the lifts, this means that the full front squat is left out of the lift?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Yes.

You just dip under the bar to catch it, instead of dropping to a front squat (for the clean) or an overhead squat (for the snatch).
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I have no problem with overhead squats, I do them regularly and they are very beneficial. I do them to full olympic depth, too, I just don't bounce into and out of them. I also think front squats are great, if you can do them. I cannot rack the barbell, so I have to do front squats with kettlebells, which is not the same, but we have to do what we can.

That being said, I would not think that doing lots of snatches and clean and jerks are a necessity unless you are going to be competing as an olympic lifter, but what makes you a good olympic lifter will definately make you strong in other endeavors.

B.

thanks for the replies guys...

i guess i'm only looking to learn the clean (and maybe the snatch) just for the hell of it, and i'll read more about the real-world strength without size stuff you recommended. i incorporated front squats and overhead squats (no weight though) into leg day today. i think it has more than just muscle benefits, as i can tell they helped me a bit with balance and such. i think i'll keep doing them too, i really liked the feeling i got.

so far as olympic lifting, i guess it's not really required. but by "olympic" i wasnt talking about competition, but just strength routines other than bodybuilding style... i figured guys in the olympics trained the same way i wanted to (but i guess not!)

anyhow thanks again for the replies