Thread: WSB (speed)

BIG BOI

WSB (speed)

my question is about the speed in WSB training, ive ben trainin wit it for a lil bit now and i wanted to make some changes 2 the program, like im really not into all the speed of the exercises. wha i mean is like for bench i dont like doing fast cause 2 me i feel like im cheating and would much rather go slow and lower the weight a lil. almost pause at the bottom but not really PAUSE. anyone else feel this way? would it be harmful ?

also the SPEED work ... because i dont like it i was thinking of turning the DE days into more of a higher rep workout.. like say for DE BENCH DAY id go... machine bench press , pushdowns,pulldowns,overhead press,curls....and keep my reps in the 10-15 range. kinda like mixing PL and BB....

any thoughts?

Do more reading about why speed is so important.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Of the driver ilk
    :withstupi

It isn't a bodybuilding routine, it is designed to increase strength, speed is important when lifting the heavy weights. You can work chest in the body building style with some chest accesory work.
    "42"

Energizer Bunnie
    Word.

If you're gonna do Westside, the speed work is critical.
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Bump big time with all these guys!

If you're looking for a big bench (and squat and deadlift)....speed work is crucial. I'd even argue that it would be better to miss an ME workout than a DE workout.

Anyways, as Xg74 said...it's not bodybuilding. You're working on strength which isn't always optimal for muscle growth.

As for a quick reason why speed is important....let's assume that you're 1RM is 225lbs. So when you lift, you're putting enough force to lift 225lbs even if there is no weight on the bar. If you increase your speed, then you're exerting more force on the bar and you can lift more!

Later

def agree with them. with powerlifting, speed is most important. def don't do that. If you want though, add in some slow rep sets later in the workout. change what you need to to be happy with it, but leave the core alone, it has worked for hundreds of other people.
    hmmmmmmm... will i ever be big enough?

Age- 17
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 160

RAW lifts
    Bench- 225(1)
    Deadlift-350(1)
    Squat-285(1)

Banned
    Learn how to grind on your Max Effort days, period.