I thought I'd kick off kind of a roundtable. It seems as though there's two schools of thought in training for hypertrophy for the athlete/oly lifter/powerlifter. On one side, guys like Poliquin, Ian King, Art McDermott, and Jud Logan seem to believe that one ought to train for hyertrophy at times. Their rationale is that you ought to increase your muscles cross-section, training with the intent to do so, in order to then be able to recruit that newly developed muscle. They generally feel that the 5-8 rep range is sufficient for this kind of training, and they feel that the reps are still low enough to contribute to the devolopment of max-strength and the IIB fibers. Now, on the other hand, you have the Westsiders, Pavel Tsatsouline, Tudor Bompa, the late great Mel Siff (I think), and Vladamir Zatsiorsky who seem to believe that the hyertrophy ought to be a SIDE EFFECT of effecient and well planned training. Your thoughts on this? I think it's obvious that the Western Model of Periodization is terrible lacking as its phases do not lend themselves well to developing any of the skills it attempts to, as Dave Tate states, "The muscle mass that was built during the hypertrophy phase isn't maintained throughout the full cycle. Same goes with the strength phase. The best training weeks are normally the first or second week of triples coming off the strength phase. Then your strength begins to shut down because it's very hard to train at or above 90% for longer than three weeks. This is another reason why you may be able to triple more in training than what you can display on the platform."

Personally, I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle, I think by having "accumulation phases" where you bump up the reps a bit and lower the intensity, you allow yourself to create useful hyertrophy whilst giving your nervous system time to recuperate from use of maximal weights (above 90%). I don't, however, believe that a powerlifter, athlete, or oly lifter ought to ever use bodybuilding techniques in their training, however, a program like Christian Thibaudeau's OVT certainly seems to be a good deviation for the natural trainee.

Your thoughts?