Thread: diet and exercise advice needed

Hybrid View

diet and exercise advice needed

Hi, this is my first post here on WBB forums. I figured who better to ask than the place where I got one of my favorite lifting routines. So here we go.

6 months ago: Freshman year in college a little more than halfway over, I decided I wanted to start working out again since I had become lazy and I thought I needed some more muscle since I hadn't lifted since sophomore year of high school. I supplemented Protein, Creatine, and multivitamins. I used a routine I found on this site and experienced some great gains.

I consumed a lot of calories and my muscles got much bigger. Arms went up from 16 to ~17.25 or so, forearms from 11.5 to 13 and legs exploded, but I never measured them. That's the good news.

The bad news is that with my extremely high calorie diet and no cardio I had become pretty overweight. I would consider it borderline obese. I came out of college at the end of this May weighing in at 263 pounds (I'm 6'4", 36-38" waist).

In the beginning of June, I bought a membership to a local Gold's Gym and began an effort to lose as much weight as possible, since I no longer really care about being big and just want to look more attractive. Since then I've lost about 17 pounds putting me around 246. I still want to lose a LOT more weight. So I decided to adopt a new diet.

Now, I have a bowl of cereal when I wake up, and I consume a large turkey/chicken/ham sandwich whenever I feel hungry to tide me over until I eat a meager dinner. I've reduced my calorie intake to around ~1000-1500 calories a day. I have also started taking ephedra-free hydroxycut and a multi-vitamin.

My workout consists of a 5-minute warmup on the bike followed by grueling resistance training taking anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on how energetic I feel. From there, I head to the cardio machines (I plan to switch the machine every 2 weeks or so, to make sure my body doesn't adapt to one machine). Here I make it pretty difficult, keeping my heart rate pretty consistently at 180bpm for 30 minutes.

I drink plenty of water and try to spread out my intake so that I'm never too hungry, the sandwiches do a pretty good job of tiding me over.

Is this a good workout plan to lose as much fat as possible? Is my calorie intake too low? If I raise it, will it take longer to lose weight? Am I doing the right amount of cardio? Am I a moron?

Thanks so much for reading, and sorry for such a long post. Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

Wannabebig Member
    Well I can tell you right now that 1000-1500 calories a day is going to drop alot of weight alright and alot of that is going to be muscle mass!!! I'm sure you don't want this.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you with the fat loss thing and I know for sure you are going to eat your muscle up and slow your metabolism with that restricted of a diet. I think 10-12 calories per pound of body weight would help you lose weight slowly without sacrificing your metabolism and calorie burning muscle. Also eat every 2-3 hours to keep the metabolism up.

i'm in the same boat and i've done it both ways...

you should look into incorporating HIIT into your training routine, maybe in addition to some moderate cardio. diet is the key factor for weight loss, and if you eat a meager diet you're going to lose weight incorrectly -- you will keep your body fat but lose muscle. you'll get your scale weight down this way, but you'll get noticably weaker and still remain kind of flabby.

the best way to drop pounds is with moderate cardio and HIIT placed in a good lifting routine, and diet is the key. you want to find your maintenance cals (12x bodyweight is a decent estimate, but you'll need to tweak that number to get it more exact) and then drop roughly 200-500 cals below that (slowly!). if you eat good, clean foods you shouldn't be scared of the seemingly high number of calories you have to eat.

i know you want it to all come off fast but if you take it slow, you'll gradually lean out instead of getting smaller and flabbier. it takes a little hard work but so far this approach has been giving me good results good luck!

Ok, so first and foremost what I need to do is up my calories all the way to around 3000? Won't that make the fat loss process go much slower?

When I was bulking I was eating around 5000 or 5500, thinking my usual was around 3000...so shouldn't I drop below my usual 3000 for a cut?

I'm also confused about HIIT. I keep reading different things on different sites. One post says that HIIT is anaerobic and doesn't promote fat burning as much as hard aerobic cardio where your heart beats 80%-90%? Then I read another post where it says HIIT is great for burning fat and nothing else beats it. Then I've read on another site that you should keep your heart rate to 60-70%.

I don't know what to do!

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Originally posted by dw06wu
    Ok, so first and foremost what I need to do is up my calories all the way to around 3000? Won't that make the fat loss process go much slower?

When I was bulking I was eating around 5000 or 5500, thinking my usual was around 3000...so shouldn't I drop below my usual 3000 for a cut?

I'm also confused about HIIT. I keep reading different things on different sites. One post says that HIIT is anaerobic and doesn't promote fat burning as much as hard aerobic cardio where your heart beats 80%-90%? Then I read another post where it says HIIT is great for burning fat and nothing else beats it. Then I've read on another site that you should keep your heart rate to 60-70%.

I don't know what to do!
    Raising your calories will make WEIGHT loss slower, but it will insure that you are losing fat, not muscle/

Start out at about 3000, drop a few hundered a week until you are losing 1-2 pounds a week. When the weight loss stops, lower a few hundered more.

I agree about HIIT information being quite confusing, but rather than read everyone's opinions about it, i just went out and tried it. Its worked great for me. My favorites are on the eliptical machine, stair master, and punching bag. My understanding about the benefits is this: (1) The calories burned during HIIT are mostly fat, because during the rest intervals your body gets more oxygen which is needed to metabolize fat cells and (2) HIIT increases your metabolism for a long period of time, allowing for greater calorie burning throughout the day.