The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bulking, a big no no!

If bulking means gaining alot of fat and muscle, and strength, its all good right, but after a good bulk, the wish that often follows is the need to feel ripped, to be ripped, to be hard. The road to losing fat and keeping lean muscle mass will eventually lead to strength loss and muscle loss, then you wont have that much more strength or muscle than you did back when you were ripped, this is true for many cases when the induvidual had been going from ripped to bulking.

What do you think, I am now on my full way to go down to 11% by the 10th of august, I have always been the bulking kind of guy, hanging around 15-18% bodyfat, getting a really fat feature less face and fat on my lowerback and over my abs on the inside of my arms, and I ask my self :

what is the point of having muscle, if I cant see them, I will never ever go higher than 12% bodyfat from now on in my bodybuilding life, If I can help it my self.

I just think the whole bulking thing is a myth, a stupid myth, and I think its much easier to spot muscle growth while being 10%, then while being 20%, and its also much more inspirational for the trainee to be lean.

the bulking trap, dont step into it, try to be lean, and smear your self with time, the muscle will come anyway, you dont have to go 5000kalories.

Does anyone agree with me, tell me why and why not!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i like to eat
    eating helps promote muscle growth
    i like muscle growth
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

yes!

ofcourse if one is very skinny, one could "bulk" a little, but I ment the medium to advanced bber, advanced being as 2+years in the gym.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

I agree, I never vary from 11%-13% . Cutting for me is getting down to 10% for my holidays. I believe that given the proper diet you can stay in a given region of bf and continually put on muscle. Over the last year and a half I have gone from 175lbs to 200lbs whilst staying in the same bf range.

Its all about finding your ideal caloric intake and simply going +or - 150 cals either side, when going over, get these cals from protein.

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm currently I'm torn with this. I'm on my first bulk ever and its mentally killing me! I feel that Iím too fat (everyone else tells me I'm not) but I am gaining weight (1 pound - 1.5lbs a week!). I've tossing around the idea of putting in some HIIT into my routine 2-3 times a week but then again Iím not sure. So confused with this bulking thing!!!!

Goose

I don't like the fat I'm gaining on my bulk either (according to everyone else, I'm still "skinny"), but I've got some strength goals in mind I haven't reached yet. I'm pretty sure that if you are careful (i.e. slow) when cutting, you can keep nearly all of your muscle. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Most people are bulking because they lack the discipine to eat proper, and hide it by saying there bulking.
    I agree with you whats the point in having the muscle if its hiden by fat. Unless your strictly into power lifting. Even then if you compete will put you in higher brackets.
    I love the wos when bulking but not gained fat. I personally gain to much. call me vain.
    Not to mention you risk the muscle when cutting anyways. Right back where I started from. Little stronger. I am gonna try more slow bulks. Play with my cals more.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I look at it this way. If give the same timeframe if you bulk then cut while ending up with less mass then if you did a slow clean bulk then don't do the first. But personally I find that I (and others I have seen) gain much more muscle mass while bulking up heavily and then cutting. You do lose some muscle while cutting but overall you are in a better place then if you did a slow clean bulk in the same timeframe.
    w00t

Wannabebig Member
    Rock,
    Time in the gym is not the only thing that determines one's level of experience. I've not yet gotten below 10.5%, but to be honest I wouldn't want to sit there for very long. When I'm below 12% or so my energy levels suck. I stay between 12 and 15% as a rule. With better energy I can move more weight and stimulate more growth. Cutting off that energy will slow the gains down, which is counter-productive. You do as you see fit, but I'm sure that as you get leaner you'll notice your strength will give a bit.

Goose-Don't worry about chunking out. Its no big deal. The layer of blubber will come off with discipline. As far as 1-1.5 lbs per week goes. I never try to put on more than .5% of my weight on per week. At 220 thats a little over a pound. I see too much more than that as causing excess fat gain that isn't necessary. I hate the pound a week rule because we're not all at the same starting point. Its all relative.
    What caused you to do that?

Wannabebig Member
    i agree with the poster. You will eventually build the muscle anyway

I never go above about 14% bodyfat when bulking (which I'm doing right now). My goal is to maintain and improve my atheletic abilities and to look daaaaaaamn good. I'm working on it.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Originally posted by Sackattack
    The layer of blubber will come off with discipline.
    How though? I mean, I am 17 years old, and just beginning to lift. I have always been in good shape and very athletic. However about 2 or 3 years ago, I messed up my knee and had to take a year off from my usual sports. Unfortunately, I think I didnt do enough, and I now have a layer of fat. I am beginning to lift, but how can I get rid of this fat?

Orginally posted by Rastaman
    My goal is to maintain and improve my atheletic abilities and to look daaaaaaamn good.
    Thats my goal too. Im going to use WBB Routine #1 to start. But I have no idea what to do for diet or supplements.

Leave this blank, right?
    I agree with Rock...yes, I have bulked...but getting rid of the layer of fat is horrendous. I can't seem to lose any of it in the ab area...WHy not just ear right...with low carbs, low fat and high protein and gain as much muscle as possible? Please tell me what is wrong with that scenario (on a limitless time basis)...

Thanks.
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

Of the driver ilk
    No no, fat is good, keep it higher (relatively) in fat and protein. If you only eat things high in protein, there is a good chance that you will develop kidney problems, and will be pissing kidney stones. Fat is good, to burn fat, you must have fat to use to burn. So eat it!
    "42"

bone crusher
    i'm right there with ya rock

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    In the end if you are disiplined and have some basic knowledge the bulk/cut deal will give you faster results then the "clean bulk" thing you are talking about. In the end it is about your personal preferences and goals.
    w00t

I think a "clean bulk" or "slow muscle gain" can occur with "see-food" diet (you eat whatever you see) with proper cardio.
    A good walk (or running, just nothing which is too intense) on non training days can keep fat gain to minimum.

I kinda agree with you rock, but I just can't see em low number on the scale so I unintetionally add more and more calories to my diet. Guess I lack patience
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

good, now lets all never say the word bulk again-1

I'm bulking - pure and simple.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

You have to bulk before you can get ripped, unless you are on steriods how are you supposed to get ripped without losing any muscle and how are you supposed to bulk and stay ripped

This is impossible. From my experience you do one or the other, you bulk and gain muscle and fat, then you diet and lost muscle and fat.

There seems to be no way to gain pure muscle and lose pure fat.

Anyone who doesnt think you can gain muscle and stay ripped, read aka23's journal. That is all.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

I'm never going to bulk as in eating 4000 cals per day. Not worth the fat, and I don't like trying to lose fat. It's better to be thinner and not as strong than be huge and a fatass. Ask anyone.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

GOOD LUCK in which ever you decide...as for myself also looking to bulk.....now trying to lose some BF....I have found it to be much harder....started doing cardio 3 wks ago PLUS diet and its kicking my a$$ and have not lost any BF.....I decide not to set a deadline to reach my goal due to the difficulty BUT I WILL REACH MY 10%BF.....GOOD LUCK

IMO

your worst nightmare
    Building muscle is HARD....losing fat is EASY
    No, you're not dreaming.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, for me, it's either bulking or steroids. And I choose the natural way thank you
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....