Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulking, a big no no!

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by The Dream
    Building muscle is HARD....losing fat is EASY
    :withstupi
    Life's too short to be small

Originally posted by Lucian
    ...This is impossible. From my experience you do one or the other, you bulk and gain muscle and fat, then you diet and lost muscle and fat....
    I disagree.

You can get big without adding fat. If you have a healthy high cal + protein diet and watch your fat intake you'll gain muscle mass without packing on fat. The key is in your diet.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

watching fat? hmmm --- and to think that most peoples' diets are deficient in EFAs.....
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Originally posted by ennui
    i like to eat raniali
    eating raniali helps promote muscle growth
    i like muscle growth but not as much as raniali

i just saw this and must say i have never come across this type of diet before ... but as i say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(and thx! )
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

It seems like half the people here have no clue what a bulk is. It isn't just eating like some retard and getting fat. Rock, you love all these bodybuilders and then you say for advanced guys why would they ever bulk? Do you ever think that they are competing, and putting on as much musclemass in the time they have in between shows is a consideration? Considering they get down to sub 5% bodyfat levels when they need to should basically prove you wrong.

So depending on who you are and your goals, bulking obviously has it's place. As for what type of bulk, and how much of one, that is also dependent on what you want. It's easy to bulk if you are in a temperate climate, where you can maybe add extra calories to fuel your workouts, and facilitate better growth during the winter, if you want a few extra pounds of lean muscle mass for the summer.

If you think that you will get the same results in anywhere near the same time by staying at maintenance calories and doing the same thing day in day out, then you are wrong.

I think a lot of people mistake lowering bodyfat revealing existing muscle mass as growth. This isn't growth, and unless you are relatively new, or have been training or eating horribly wrong in the past, you generally aren't going to be adding much if any muscle on a cut.

Of course results will vary according to the level of the trainee, and his/her genetics and metabolism, but to say it's worthless, or not a good idea is quite ignorant, given the proven benefits.

And whoever said watching fat, wtf are you talking about, why would i want to limit fat in a high calorie diet? As long as my calories are at whatever level I want, a good amount of fat is critical for muscle gain. Read the diet forum, not cosmo.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Rock, you love all these bodybuilders

ElPietro, I might not be the smartest dude around, but you are clearly patronizing me there, dont.

Carbohydrates are the principle energy source needed to fuel your daily workouts, to develop muscle tissue, and to help you recover quickly and completely from exercise, this we know, and totally depend on as bodybuilders, but explain to me why do we need the extra bit, do we grow faster on a bulk? or is just the strength that increases faster, give me the straight facts.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Well, if you have the extra food for energy, will that not allow you to workout more efficiently? You won't tire out as quickly, which means you can lift more or longer, which will facilitate greater muscle growth.

Also, can you build something from nothing? No. So if you are eating only enough to keep your current size, how do you expect to get bigger?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

losing fat is EASY
    losing muscle is easy too
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

I was 230 with a high bodyfat. I felt like an enormous pig and could hardly move. After 2 hard months of dieting, my bodyfat is down to 10% and I feel 1000 times better. I look much better, and I'm still strong as hell. My strength hasn't gone down much.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    It’s a bird… It’s a plane… nope, it’s me soarin’ past everybody.

Building muscle is HARD....losing fat is EASY
    Actually, both are hard. Depends on one's genetics, for the most part.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

The word "bulking" can be interpreted in so many different ways that many people may disagree with each other on the pure basis of semantics. For me its simple, I'm not afraid to eat a lot of calories--but only if the vast majority of them are clean. I worked long and hard for my physique--and I am not willing to allow my body fat percentage to raise significantly for a few months just because I may ultimately be taking the shorter road to a given goal. My goal is to be able to take my shirt off at any given time without having to use "i'm bulking" as an excuse for having invisible abs and a puffy marshmellow texture.

The only people that should consider a heavy bulk are:

1.) Men who have no chance of undressing in front of a girl in the near future.

2.) Those who's main goal in life is to have a Flex/Muscle & Fitness physique, instead of a more Men's Health physique that I am close to attaining.

3.) People like Chase who can eat 6000 calories a day and still keep a very respectable bf %.

Originally posted by JohnnyAutoParts
    The only people that should consider a heavy bulk are:

1.) Men who have no chance of undressing in front of a girl in the near future.

2.) Those who's main goal in life is to have a Flex/Muscle & Fitness physique, instead of a more Men's Health physique that I am close to attaining.

Good points. right now I am trying a slow bulk. I am eating a more carbs, but not a ton.
    I think it comes down to goals. If you want to be huge and lift huge, and don't care what you look like, eat alot. If you care about what you look like don't eat so much. How would you like it for your girlfriend had a pot belly 9 months out of the year? Providing she doesn't have one the rest of the year.

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I do agree with you Rock.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

There was a thread on Avant about CLA (I can look it up if you guys are really interested)......they were saying that what CLA essentially does is stabilize your weight. Ie, if you're bulking, you don't gain NEARLY as much fat on CLA as you do when you're bulking and not on CLA. Same if you're cutting - you lose less than you normally would. So it sounds like it would be an ideal bulking agent, right?

Wrong. What they found is that it was extremely difficult, if not impossible, to gain muscle on CLA bulks. In other words, they concluded that when you're not putting on fat, it's much harder to put on muscle.

This may have been due to some odd, unexpected action of the CLA, and not an inherent correlation between fat gain and muscle gain. Also, it was anecdotal evidence, not some fancy study. But....there it is.
    You can't babysit this.

Bear in mind that it takes a lot more calories to build muscle tissue than it does to maintain it.

I was eating 4-6000 calories daily to get to where I am now, and I've subsisted on half of that or even less lately with very little change in weight.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

bone crusher
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Bear in mind that it takes a lot more calories to build muscle tissue than it does to maintain it.
    exactly!

I think it depends

It depends on what your goal is. If your goal every year is to put on as much muscle as you can by summer; what has worked best for me is to bulk from Sept-Feb; cut until April; and maintain until the end of the summer (what some of you are calling a "slow bulk")

Also, I think if you are afraid of eating too many calories, then you are probably (if only a little bit) hurting your gains. If you are eating clean then its very hard to overeat.

Since everyone on here has a different definition; apparently; here's how I've bulked. I eat clean Monday-Friday (i.e. rice, chicken, eggs, fish, etc).

Saturday and Sunday I eat whatever I want.

I saw a remark earlier about how someone said they wanted to be able to take off their shirt year round. Well; I mean at 14% bf, if you have enough muscle on you, you're still going to look better than most people do.

To each his own; but I've always had a lot better results doing a bulk/cut than a "sustained bulk".

Is eating 5000 calories a day and burning 1000 calories from cardio (each day), the same as eating 4000 calories a day without doing any cardio??

Or does cardio burn the "waste calories" and keep the good??

Just curious...
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

No, it isn't the same.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I wish I could be a huge strong fat ass with zero definition.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Originally posted by NDBeast

Actually, both are hard. Depends on one's genetics, for the most part.
    No, depends on one's will to succeed.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

think about it

Originally posted by RG570
    I wish I could be a huge strong fat ass with zero definition.
    I'm not talking about some 160 lb guy eating 5000 calories a day. I'm talking about eating a modest amount over what your maintenance is so that you can put on muscle. I'm 205 and I bulk at around 3200-3500 cal.

I was just thinking...

In a bulk, if you eat clean and do it smart, you can gain maximal muscle and gain minimal fat. The more lean muscle you put on, the heavier you get, meaning your bf% decreases. If the majority of your weight gain is muscle, the fat you gained with the bulk will be negligable. So you can bulk within a consistent bodyfat range. Make yours something reasonable like 12-15% and you can gain maximal muscle and still look like a stud when your shirt comes off.

So in summary, you gain fat during your bulk, but if carefully done, you dont have to raise your bf% too much if at all.

Originally posted by raniali
    i like to eat
    eating helps promote muscle growth
    i like muscle growth

Amen to that.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee