Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would joining the wrestling team help me for football?

Wannabebig Member

Would joining the wrestling team help me for football?

I need a little advice on this, not even really sure if this belongs here but I may join the wrestling team. From what I heard I would add so much much muscle on my body not mass and lose fat. I'm afraid that not adding mass would effect football. I've played football for 8 years and I've always been on the bigger side of the average size kids and I'm wondering if I would be more small. I'm 5"7 135 pounds right now and is a running back and lineback for freshman team. Any advice from anyone who played football and wrestling during highschool?

During wrestling season, you won't gain muscles. Gaining/losing weight is something you do during off-season to get ready for next year. Practices are very intense and because of that I ended up losing some muscle (don't be scared, I was the ONLY one on the team who actually lost weight) I worked my ass off all season, and I pretty much didn't have time to focus on my diet at all but I really didn't care wrestling guys that were a little heavier than me b/c I ended up winning most of my matches anyway.

If you are looking to improve your balance/coordination, physical/mental toughness, cardio/muscular endurance, wrestling is the best thing you could do in high school. A lot of football coaches recommend their players to wrestle in winter in order to keep them in shape.

It is a very grueling sport but after when it ends, you'll realize how lucky you are to have involved in one of the greatest sport ever.

ps.
    I didn't play football in h.s.
    I just wanted to brag how great wrestling is coming from a wrestler's perspective
    You should definately try, it will be worth it
    Last edited by MPB; 10-22-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    my second year starts tuesday and i must say its the harderst sport ive ever played in. Ive done football and soccer in the past couple years and its ALOT more intense. The only thing is for football gaining weight isnt bad, for wrestling it can be since you wanna stick in your weight range (yours would be the 135 class). I would definetly give it a try if i were you, when your done its oh so rewarding

Just from your stature if you don't grow ht wise or add some size football may be tough at varsity. Unless your just fast and have some talent.
    I know emmit isn't very tall or barry sanders. Just speaking in general that like of size may hurt you in football.

Wrestling like pitbull said is great, you will find out quick if your tough. With all of the wt classes it gives everyone a chance.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

You can gain weight during wrestling if you eat enough. The only issue is if you need to make weight. I would ask your coach if you can wrestle up a weight class so you can continue to eat and put on muscle and not have to worry about keeping your weight down.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Wannabebig Member
    wrestling is great, it makes you a better athlete and gets you in great shape but if youre serious about football youre going to want start adding some weight, but dont let that get you to not wrestle. i started wrestling my junior year and the only thing i regret is not wrestling my freshman year. 5'7 135 might be big for freshman/middle school football but for varsity thats not very big at all. im 5'7 150-155 am smaller than most football players
    Last edited by onemorerep; 10-25-2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: bad grammar
    age 18 hieght 5'7 wieght 150
    bench 235
    squat 350
    deadlift 225 (x5)

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc3443 View Post
    I need a little advice on this, not even really sure if this belongs here but I may join the wrestling team. From what I heard I would add so much much muscle on my body not mass and lose fat. I'm afraid that not adding mass would effect football. I've played football for 8 years and I've always been on the bigger side of the average size kids and I'm wondering if I would be more small. I'm 5"7 135 pounds right now and is a running back and lineback for freshman team. Any advice from anyone who played football and wrestling during highschool?

Well I suppose wrestling would help with tackling and keep your in shape, but no, if getting better at footballs your goal wrestling probably wont be the best option. Your not going to gain weight during the season. Wrestlings a tough sport, but you better believe your getting yourself into killer practices day in and day out. At the end of the season youll probably be lighter then at the beginning.

My advice would be to lift, gain a good amount of weight, and do plyos a couple times a week through the winter then go out for track...
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Wannabebig Member
    during the wrestling season youll do ALOT of plyos anyway since alot of wrestling is leg strength

If your only doing it to get better at football, you'd be better off lifting hard and gaining weight.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Don't wrestle to "get in shape" for football. Wrestle to build balance, strength and coordination. Endurance that you gain from wrestling in the winter will not really translate in to endurance you'll see next fall.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    Don't wrestle to "get in shape" for football. Wrestle to build balance, strength and coordination. Endurance that you gain from wrestling in the winter will not really translate in to endurance you'll see next fall.
    Best advice in the thread so far, IMHO.

I would add to it with the opinion that I think you should base your decision on what you need to improve most in your game.

If conditioning and balance are an issue, then yeah. Go for it, wrestle.

If not, find where you need to pick up your game the most and work on that with an offseason conditioning and practice regimen.

wrestling is, with few exceptions, the hardest sport there is. In the high school realm it is hands down the toughest. It will help you in almost any other sport you'd want to be a part of.

I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.
    -socrates
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

That's a good quote, one of my favorite

I had to walk from high school to my house after every practice... it takes about 40~50 minutes.. dead tired after all those grueling drills, conditioning, and going lives, it was painful walking in the snow freezing my butt off carrying my heavy ass wrestling bag every single day. It certainly did improve my conditioning toughened me up a lot.
    Last edited by MPB; 10-30-2007 at 06:42 PM.

there were these two kids who went to the first highschool I attended years before me, but they were wrestling legends there. It was a regional highschool and they lived in the other town that attended there - they jogged/ran home from every single practice during wrestling season, which if you know what wrestling practices are, that's quite impressive!

I was a Running Back as well, and I did Wrestling only because I love it. But honestly I think you should do Track instead, and don't worry about gaining weight (RB's gotta be fast and elusive).

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    wrestling is, with few exceptions, the hardest sport there is. In the high school realm it is hands down the toughest. It will help you in almost any other sport you'd want to be a part of.

I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.
    -socrates
    Ever play waterpolo?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

nope

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the feedback, but in the end i've decided to do wrestling. I'll be going to the weightroom every morning before school as i have since the begginng of the year. I'm going to try and eat as much as I can as possible on a diet that will help me gain weight. From what i've heard from my best friends brother who is a varsity captin for wrestling that i'll be cut and lose most my water weight but gain it back in muscle but be about the same weight if not heavier than beginning of the season. The main reason I'm going to do wrestling is to get mentaly tough and physically. From what I hear the first two weeks are outstandingly hard and most kids quit but I'm devoted to sports and would be ashamed should I ever quit a sport because it is to hard. Thanks everyone I took all of your comments into consideration.

ryan pm me, or start a new thread and link it, for wrestling q's, ideas, and suggestions. I was an outstanding wrestler in HS, and if I could have gone back with what I know now I may've been a national competitor. So if you wanna get more involved in this subject let me know through pm or threads.

oh and you should be a lil ashamed if you quit because something's too hard, plz don't take that the wrong way it's just my thought on the matter.

and yes, the first few weeks (actually I remember it more as the first week max) are brutal - constant puking during practices, damn I wish I could remember my maximum pukes during a 3hr practice in the beginning of practice!!!! We kept the trash barrels away from the mats because damn near everyone was puking a lil bit haha!

Wannabebig Member
    I'm deffinetly doing wrestling I'm excited for my body to be pushed, I love always doing a challenge. Oh, and since this thread I've gained 5 pounds of pure muscle so now I'm at 144 and afraid if it will put me in 150 weightclass with my best friends brother who is a captin lol

If you're wrestling for the first time, don't worry about weight classes. Just focus on learning all the basics.

Oh, and try not to reach back when you're on bottom position

Wannabebig Member
    Thats just common sense lol. I'm kinda nervous because the coach trains UFC fighters and I heard he treats us the same way, but it will hopefully worth it

I'm deffinetly doing wrestling I'm excited for my body to be pushed, I love always doing a challenge. Oh, and since this thread I've gained 5 pounds of pure muscle so now I'm at 144 and afraid if it will put me in 150 weightclass with my best friends brother who is a captin lol
    dunno the whole situation but if he's captain and you're new it's probably not as much about him being a friend as it is about him being unbeatable by you for that spot. If you're better then he should suck it up and cut to 145 or go to 155 (or 156? I never went past 145 in a meet ever).

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    If you're wrestling for the first time, don't worry about weight classes. Just focus on learning all the basics.

Oh, and try not to reach back when you're on bottom position
    as a general rule, yeah don't reach back. Sometimes suckers will just beg for you to grab their head or an arm tho, only you'll know if it's safe to go into a compromised position like that. I'm sure most wrestlers have broken basics like that and gotten an easy pin, but way more thought they could go for something and ended up counting the ceiling lights

Thats just common sense lol. I'm kinda nervous because the coach trains UFC fighters and I heard he treats us the same way, but it will hopefully worth it
    you shouldn't be nervous, youshould be eager as hell!!!

I don't know about other areas but in new york it is
    96, 103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152, 160, 171, 189, 215, 275

and you can also start h.s. varsity by 7th grade
    I'm pretty sure ny is the only place you can win county/division/section/states 6xtimes for high school wrestling. Troy Nickerson managed to win 5x, I'd love to see a guy who can pull off 6x.. that would be beyond incredible.
    Last edited by MPB; 11-03-2007 at 11:58 PM.