The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How long to eat meal after workout?

I normally have a protein shake post workout. How long should I wait before eating a meal? I usually wait til Im hungry. Which is about an hour. Is this ok?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think that an hour would be just about right. That is the way most people i know do it.
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

I'd say an hour is fine, i usually do the same, sometimes 1hr30mins.....
    Last edited by J450n; 06-27-2003 at 06:56 PM.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Wannabebig Member
    I have mine about 1-1/2 - 2 hours later. I guess this would depend on how big your post workout shake is. I have 80 - 100 grams of carbs and 40 grams of whey (post workout). I'm not usually hungry again until about 2 hours later.

Wannabebig Member
    well i only have about 5 carbs post workout in mine

Originally posted by Plastik
    well i only have about 5 carbs post workout in mine
    Definitely need to add some carbs in your post workout shake. I would recommend ~50g of carbs postworkout and ~25g of protein.

Carbs will aid in recovery and glycogen replenishment post workout.

I normally have a protein shake post workout. How long should I wait before eating a meal? I usually wait til Im hungry. Which is about an hour. Is this ok?
    I usually eat a whole food meal ~90 minutes after my post workout shake.

Originally posted by paisano
    I have mine about 1-1/2 - 2 hours later. I guess this would depend on how big your post workout shake is. I have 80 - 100 grams of carbs and 40 grams of whey (post workout). I'm not usually hungry again until about 2 hours later.
    Have you considered breaking your post workout shake into a pre/post workout shake? IMO that would be better than taking in that many carbs postworkout.

You could mix up the shake and drink ~1/3 of the shake about 30 minutes before training and then consume the remaing 2/3 post workout.

Wannabebig Member
    Have you considered breaking your post workout shake into a pre/post workout shake? IMO that would be better than taking in that many carbs postworkout.
    I tried eating right before my workout, but I find that I have stronger workouts on a semi-empty stomach. I usually have a meal about 1.5 - 2 hours before working out. This seems to give me enough strength for a good workout. If I eat just before I work out, I feel tired and queasy. Although, to your point, I never tried having 1/3 of my postworkout shake preworkout. I typically have real food, supplemented with glutamine, with this meal.

Originally posted by paisano

I tried eating right before my workout, but I find that I have stronger workouts on a semi-empty stomach. I usually have a meal about 1.5 - 2 hours before working out. This seems to give me enough strength for a good workout. If I eat just before I work out, I feel tired and queasy. Although, to your point, I never tried having 1/3 of my postworkout shake preworkout. I typically have real food, supplemented with glutamine, with this meal.
    You could still have your whole food meal ~2 hours before working out, and then have a small preworkout shake ~30 minutes before lifting. The preworkout shake should be mixed in a small amount of water, so as not to cause any stomach problems while working out.

This might be a better approach than having 80-100g of carbs all in one shake.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Another question: I know cardio in the AM before breakfast is too catabolic. Does this apply for lifting weights also?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Ironman8
    Another question: I know cardio in the AM before breakfast is too catabolic. Does this apply for lifting weights also?
    Lifting weights on an empty stomach would not be ideal IMO.