The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Can I get a flake in that?..

Its been 2 years nearly to the week that I injured my back maxing out on deadlifts, kinda freaky to think something that completely took over my life for so long can become of so little interest to me.

I've made a bunch of attempts to get back into it, but I started back too soon after my injury and hurt myself again, got scared and left it for a good 6 months. Every time I come back to it I can't hold the dedicated pattern for more than a week or two and then it goes to half assed training and half arsed dieting.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who was an amazing swimmer, when he was 12 he swam competitively in the under 18 catagory and won. We were chatting and I found out he'd given it up after going to uni - I gave him a right ear bashing for it me up on my high horse, but it wasn't till he asked "hows the weightlifting going, you entered any meets yet?" I realised how much of a hyocrite I am.

I'm not "recovering" still, that was years ago, it's not "hard to get back in the game" and saying "I have to wait untill eveythings just right to start again" because that's bullsh!t, it never will be.

Fact is, I'm lazy. Over the past two years I've got more and more lazy. Its so much easier to order a take away and slouch in front of the tv with my housemates than it is to prepare a bunch of meals and make it to the gym three times a week.

I've made a deal with my friend, I'm going back to the gym, he's going start training again, and this time next year we're both going to enter a contest of some sort, or at least be contest ready.

Look out baby, the flakes comin' home...

Lets hit the iron!
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

ace duder! i feel the same way sometimes about being lazy and then everythign turning to sh-t; its just too easy.

p.s i had a flake the other day and it tasted like dirt, maybe it was a bad batch
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

ha lol, the name flake actually comes from when I first shaved my head bald (did it for comic relief about 4 years ago), I didn't put any moisteriser on my head afterwards and it was pretty warm weather so my head flaked. The names stuck ever since

Pretty gross huh!
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

I'm going to use the same 4 over 3 split I used in my heyday:

Day 1: Back

Day 2: Shoulders / Triceps

Day 3: Legs

Day 4: Chest / Biceps

This will be spread over three days in the week, usually tues-thurs-sat

I'm gonna allow myself one day to drink, as lets face it I'm a student One day will be a huge refeed, with a bix mixed grill and a loungefull nap.

The rest of the week has to be spot on. Its gonna be tricky juggling eveything as I'm currently working full time alongside my degree, theres no option to change this as I'm very strapped for $$$ - but I'm splitting my final year over two year so all I actually have to do this year is write up my project and dissertation.

Sleeps going to be important to me, I've got to stop having 3 hours one night and then 14 the next, I'm gonna aim for 7 every night, 8 if I can get it. I'm gonna also try to have a nap of an hour after the gym.

Doh, I can only find one of my old lifting straps, lol.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Good luck with your goals man!

I am following pretty much the same plan as you, I drink once a night (I am full time student) and re-feed every saturday at around 5000 cals, normally taking in 3600 a day during the rest of the week for a clean bulk. Getting pretty good results doing it this way so far

Looking forward to seeing your posts!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Good luck with everything.

What kind of injury did you do with deadlifting? What steps do you plan to take to avoid reinjury this time around?

Welcome back to the game...
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

fuzz: it was just a simple strain, I went to max out and managed 3 reps, thought I was on fire and loaded up another 20lbs on the bar, managed the rep (yey!), made a new pb but after my wk out I started to hurt more and more to the point where I couldn't actually stand up.

Spent two days in bed, a further week hobbling round like an old lady and then an further week with mild pains. It freaked me out because my mum has a hereditary spinal disease where her spinal discs are too weak / brittle, which I have about a 10% of having. I figured adding extra damage to it probably wouldn't help.

Tues 8th April

Hmmmm.

I decided to do a bit of a huge refeed today for two reasons, one I've been eating horribly for the past god knows how long and need to get a bit of energy before I hit the gym for the first time, and two I've gotta get used to eating a lot again.

Feeling very full and bloated And I've just got a text message reminding me that I'm going out for a meal tonight, which I'd forgot about! Hmmm, guess this'll be a good first test. Probably will drink tonight, but wont on friday, so I'll be keeping to my one a week (save the odd pint in the pub ).

Anyway its going to be a bulk for me, gonna aim for 8 meals of 500kcals+ each, so hopefully reaching 4,500 - 5,000 on wk out days. I'm not to bothered about kcals as long as I feel I'm eating enough. And I'm going to do something that I never did properly before, - be consistent with my water intake! I used to take in 3L one day then hardly any the next, 2l+ each days sounds good for a start, might even buy me one of those mini water dispensers.

Hopefully be tomorrow that I go to the gym to start my new routine, I'm working in the evening 5pm till 1am though which could be a prob, need to find me some good foods I can have in my car for a sneaky meal!

Oh almost forgot, I'm planning on weighing myself butt nekkid first thing tomorrow morning, be my first proper weighing!

Scared - hold me!

Oh man, didn't go quite to plan. Drank, er, a bit and whilst I was out got a phone call from work and agreed to come in at 12 tomorrow. Dats 12pm to 1am I'm working now, doh. Looks like I aint gonna make iter to the gym tomorrow as planned unless I get up real early and as its like 2:40am now I dont think thats gonna happen.

Ho hum, wish my gym was 24 hrs, stopid 11pm closing time.

Friday 11th April

Had to push back the gym untill today due to my dumb ass working 24 hours in 2 days, but finally made it. My strength is about as pansie as I'd expected, not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. I've started my routine with shoulders / triceps as they were two of my strongest body parts but I know its going to take me forever before I can hit the same kind of lb'ages I was getting before.

Diets been medeoke, got plenty of water but didn't take in that many kcals before hitting the gym. Followed my workout with 3 scoops of nlarge in a pint of milk and have just had a chicken and bacon baguette

Gonna try to get to bed early today, my body is in a horrible routine of sleeping from 4am - 11 / 12 and I really need to get a better sleeping pattern. I'm feeling quite drained from the gym so hopefully I'll be sleeping like a baby 2nite.

Energizer Bunnie

Re: Friday 11th April

Originally posted by flake
    My strength is about as pansie as I'd expected, not sure if thats a good or a bad thing. I've started my routine with shoulders / triceps as they were two of my strongest body parts but I know its going to take me forever before I can hit the same kind of lb'ages I was getting before.
    Stoopid Deadlifts

Hey flake, congratulations on starting up a journal and good luck with your goals. Its a tough thing getting back into the gym again after such a long time.

I know its absolutely gut wretching hurting yourself on your favourite lifts but look at the big picture here.. its better to strengthen up your body using correct form and posture then causing another injury to yourself which maybe absolutely disasterous in the future...

Power to ya dude !!!
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Thanks the encouragement! I think thats my plan - keep it about the form for a while and slowely increase my weights again. I felt like a again in the gym yesterday Saw a bunch of people I recognised from a while back, man they're much bigger now, doh!

Managed to somehow wake up late for work (and I start at 12) so only had time to grab a pint of milk before heading out, Ive got a break now so gonna try to make up for it with a hunk of chicken.

Waters been excellent so far, drank about 1.5 litres in the 4 hours I've been awake

Ahem, nice. Well after that nice three month break for my birthday I think its time to get back into it, lol.

I met a guy who I havn't seen for a year or two and he was er, less than complimentary about my current physiche - I think his exact words were "why are you so skinny", thanks for that...

Anyway I've started my new job which invovles working a 4hour shift at 6:30am and a second at 6pm, which means I have hella long time doing nothing, hence - gym.
    Last edited by flake; 07-10-2003 at 07:59 AM.

Thursday 10th April

Bought a whole load of stuff on my way back from work, inc a new jar of protein, some chicken and more pasta than I could happily carry. Also got these quality beakers from asda for 29p each - about the size of a coke can but with a watertight lid. Gonna make up 3 scoops of protein powder in a litre of milk and split between these - organistation or what baby!!!

Off to the gym once I've eaten my pasta, which is currently cooking, sweet.