Thread: 20 rep squats, how many sets?

20 rep squats, how many sets?

I'm assuming when most people do them they warm up then just do one set of 20 rep squats?

I'm beginning to plan for my bulk in a month or 2 and I've got a crazy idea that I'm very eager to try. It sparked from reading other peoples comments on training in this fashon.

For the first 4-6 weeks I'm not going to track calories, just eat eat eat, extreamly heavy bulk. During this period I plan on training like this.
    Day 1: Squats (probably 20 reppers)
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: Bench Press or DB press & either BB row or weighted chin
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Squats (probably 20 reppers)
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Bench Press or DB press & either BB row or weighted chin

Then after that is through I will probably transition to a much more traditional bodybuilding routine with isolation exercises present. During this period I will do a much more controlled bulk counting calories not far over maintence.

Anyone who has done 20 reps squat in any sort of a routine, please tell me how many sets and warming up etc.

Also, anyone, comments on my routine?

Warm up like you would normally do for squats. If you're using enough weight you won't want to do but one set, IMO. I tried them for a few weeks once. I got so psyched out that I was dreading doing them- they're that taxing. I've heard other people say similar things about them.

If you can get ahold of these books, they all discuss 20-rep squats in good detail:

Super Squats
    Keys to Progress
    Beyond Brawn

To me, the book that's the most realistic regarding 20-rep squats is Beyond Brawn. The others instruct you to do them 3 times a week, adding weight each time. Your nutrition, rest, and outside life are going to have to be in impeccable order to pull that off for long.
    Last edited by Delphi; 06-28-2003 at 06:05 PM.

bone crusher
    1 set, you should be crying for mercy from our good Lord when done

Right, I attempted them once but I had too much weight and almost fell over on the 16th I believe. It was something... extreme, to say the least.

It also seemed that at that point I wasn't cardiovascularly up to it. Towards the end I was panting for 5 seconds at the top before descending into my next rep
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-28-2003 at 06:51 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

bone crusher
    that is ok to rest for a bit
    when most describe 20 rep squats it involves taking a weight you can do for 10-12 reps and resting during reps 10-20 to allow you to get up to 20

3:16
    i do not liek beyond brawl as he try to make it seem to easy. by adding 5 pound exach week for like 15 weeks,.
    he just say you keep doing it. while the normal ways of increasing the weight do not work.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

If you can do twenty rep squats the way they are supoposed to be done twice a week then you must be from the planet Krypton.Do a light warmup of 12-15 reps ,then load the bar with a weight you could normally get around a hard 12 reps with.Do twenty reps no matter what .Each rep should be completed with two or three deep breaths between them.if you make only 15 and you`ve honestly gave it all you had ,adjust the weight accordingly and try for twenty next time.These reps are supposed to be so hard that they are done on nerve force alone and you will want to quit .It will definately test you.

eeeks
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I did for a couple weeks. Only did 155. My first set was 185, supposed to be 20, but only did 12. It isn't very much weight, that parts kind of dissapointing, but its takes some effort to do.

It`s a lot of weight if it kicks your ass to do it.Weight is relative if a guy can do 20 reps with 400 lbs. but you can only use 185 for 20 reps ,you are working just as hard as he is .It takes a lot of time to build strength ,just keep adding small weights when you can.Remember you are training for yourself not to impress people with a lot of weight you can`t handle properly.

If you can do more than one set of 20 reppers you ain't doing them right!
    20 repppers are a ball buster. I know some guys who like to do them every week. When I work them into my routine it's only once every third or forth leg day. When I know that 20 reppers are the plan for the day I get nausious just thinking about it on my way to the gym.

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    Others have said it, and I will agree: if you can even think about doing another set of squats after your first set of 20 reppers, you did not go heavy enough. I have done them once a week before, and I don't see how anyone could go more than that if done properly; the DOMS usually lasted 5-6 days.

A general weight guide is this: if you don't wake up afraid on leg day, pull the covers over your head and whimper, you are not going heavy enough. :evillaugh

Oh, and bump every week, even if it is only 5 lbs.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal