Thread: sucks with chin-ups

Wannabebig Member

sucks with chin-ups

hi guys,
    I have always had poor (weak) shoulders & triceps. I was never able to do the chin-ups and even push ups were like hell for me. But since i started working my shoulders and triceps (lat pulldowns, MP, Close BP and pulleypushdowns) i thought they grew stronger. Now i can do 20 pushups without any trouble but the thing is i still cant do chin-ups. This sucks, it kills me and frustrates me like hell. If there is anything i would like to improve is to be able to do 15 chin-ups without help and properly (looks like a dream). Any help??? Also can somebody please provide me links or pictures of excercises like Barbell rows and skull crushers, cos i want to include them in my workout too for better shoulders n tries.

Wannabebig Member
    does your gym have an assisted chin-up machice? my gym has a machine that you can pull a little knee rest out and add as much assistance as you want. i started out being able to do 1 real, unassisted chin-up and the rest with about 40-50 lbs of assistance... now i can get almost 4 unassisted chin-ups and the rest with about 20 lbs of assistance. this is the only way i know how to build your chin-ups... try doing a search on this forum.

My advice would be to keep doing lat pull downs and start doing back work. It would help a lot if you post your current routine so we can tell if you have enough back work in there as well as other body parts( you should be working your entire body). Oh yea, and change your user name.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I think you just have to keep on doing Chin-ups, even if you only can do 1. A year ago, I can only do one or two chin-ups per set. However, I just keep on doing it. Now I can do about 15.

Good luck with your goal.

I would do them 1 rep at a time. Do a set amount. I started doing 50 2-3 reps, that was probably to much then cut down to 20. Also do them first. I used to do them take a 1/2 hour break and then do my wo. I wo at home though.

Wannabebig Member
    nah my gym doesnt have an assisted chin-up machine. so i cant make use of it. ok you asked for my routine Hahn here it is.
    Monday: Thursday
    Chest: Chest:
    F BP 3*6-8 Incline BP 3*6-8
    Pec Decks 2*10-12 DB Pullover 3*12-10
    Triceps: Triceps:
    Pulley Pushdown 2*10-12 DB Kick Backs 2*10-12
    Close BP 2*10-12 Seated triceps press2*10-12
    Shoulders: Shoulders:
    Millitary Press 3*10-8-6 Millitary Press 3*10-8-6
    Shrugs 3*8-10 Shrugs 3*8-10
    Back: Back:
    Lat Pull downs 3*12-10-8 Lat Pull downs 3*12-10-8
    Biceps: Biceps:
    Preacher curls 2*8-10 Preacher curls 2*8-10
    Legs: Legs:
    Squats 1*20 DeadLifts 1*20
    I have been following these two routines for Mondays and Thursdays and kinda like doing them too. I train my abs also on these 2 days, and about the chaning username part i would love to but dont know how. I will also try to do one chin-up per set properly everyday and lets see what happens. tnx guys.

Of the driver ilk
    Biceps are used as a primary mover in the chin-up, the tricep is only a stabalizer in that movement. Keep doing lat pulldowns, and add in some good rowing movements, machine or otherwise. Keep working at it and you'll eventually get it. Oh, and I was in the same position you are with the push-up situation, since being able to do many many push-ups is a function of muscular endurance just keep doing them and shoot for doing one more each time you do them, and add in endurance work for your pecs and tri's.

Go here for exercise instructions.
    "42"

Wannabebig Member
    oh God i was trying to make columns with excercises for Mondays on left and For thursdays on right, ahhhh but during submitting it screwed it up not my fault. But anyways, in every line the excercise on left is what i do on Monday and on right is what i do on Thursday for same muscle. Pardon me.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    If you have a workout partner, you can cross your legs, rest them in his arms, and use him for assistance just like you would an assisted machine. That way you both get to work out at the same time

Wannabebig Member
    yeh i got a workout partener i will use this tip junior but the thing is my partener although he is a skinny guy can do 20 chinups at a time properly, great formation without any help. that kills.

Of the driver ilk
    Probably because he hasn't much mass to pull up. Don't sweat it. And, yeah, do it one at a time, each week do one more. I myself find that my biceps tire out first when doing chin-ups, and not my lats, or anything else. Is it the same with you as well?
    "42"

drag a step over, and do negatives on the pull up bar
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Wannabebig Member
    Negatives are your friend with chin-ups and pull-ups.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    For me, making chin or pull ups my first workout helps. I have more energy and I won't be so exhausted.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    yeh Xg784 i have go the same problem as you. my biceps do tire out very soon and lats dont even hurt. i wonder, infect i m sure now that i got weak biceps. Hey how i do negatives in chin-ups, got no clue. tnx.

Just jump up to the bar, let yourself down as slowly as you possibly can. Rinse and repeat.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Originally posted by Goosse_Man
    Negatives are your friend with chin-ups and pull-ups.
    amen!

Wannabebig Member
    The buddy assisted chin up is really good. If he can't help you find someone else. I couldn't do one chin up it piss me the hell off but now I can do three. Here's what I did, everyday I used that chin up machine to do three sets of 6. I'm still working on them though. I wanna do at least 10.

Do negatives with your palms out (pullup position) to use less biceps and work your lats harder. When the time comes that you can finally do one, do it with your palms facing you (chinup position). That way your biceps can help out the lats.

Wannabebig Member
    if the palm facing out thing is negatives with chin-ups then i have been doing them or i have been trying to do them i should say. With palms facing out i can lift myself a good 5 or 6 inches but with palms facing in, dont wanna embarasse myself by telling u 2 inches. it really sucks isnt it??

For any movement, a negative is the half of the movement where the involved muscle is lengthening as the body returns to the starting position. Negatives in chinups'pullups are when your body is lowering from the top position down to the bottom position. To do negatives with a chinup/pullup you jump up to the top position (chin at the bar) and then slowly lower your body until your arms are straight over your head. That's the eccentric part of the exercise. The concentric part is when you pull your body up.

The hand position doesn't have anything to do with eccentric (negative) vs concentric. But hand position does make a difference in how easy/hard the exercise is:

Chinup = palms facing you. Usually easier, as the biceps are in a better position to help out the lats.

Pullup = palms facing out. Usually harder, as the biceps aren't in as good a position to help out. I'm surprised you're getting up higher with your palms out. Maybe it has something to do with how far apart your hands are spaced on the bar.

What I was trying to say in my first post was this:

Do the negatives at first. The eccentric motion (stretching the muscle as you go down) will help strengthen the lats. Do them enough and you'll eventually be strong enough to do an entire chinup. Jump up until your chin is up to the bar. Then slowly let your body lower down, then jump up and do it again. Do the negatives with your palms facing out, to get the maximum stress on the lats.

Once you've gotten strong enough to do the entire movement, do them with your palms facing toward you (chinups) at first. This way your biceps will be helping out with the movement, and allow you to do more reps. Eventually you'll be able to do them with palms out (pullups), which will work your lats harder.