The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

I Want To Be Skinny!

I WANT TO BE SKINNY! (then big!) Well, I recently began to work out at the gym. I am using WBB Routine # 1. After reading a lot on this site (thanx for all the info guys!) I have decided that right now I wanna lose all my fat before I start trying to gain muscle. I would rather be skinny right now than be overweight and try to gain muscle. I am about 5'10 and about 170. I am not obese or overly fat, but I am a little chubby, not extremely obvious, except in my gut and other areas of my body. Please help me out! How can I lose this fat?!? Any help you can give me would be extremely appreciated!!! Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    eat a bit below maint cals, eat clean, do some HIIT

train hard (cardio + lifting)
    eat right (around 1700-1900 cals 170 grams protien 15-20 grams EFA's)
    refeed every 7 days (170 grams protien 350-400 grams carbs + incidental fats)

repeat this OVER and OVER and results will come.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by as0l0
    Whoa, I think those calories are a bit low. I would experement first. Like starting at a certain amount of calories, and decreasing until you are losing a pound per week.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

How do you guys measure you calories so well? I mean isnt it hard? Like if you go out for lunch or something?

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    fitday.com would be a good place to keep track of your calories. Just insert what you ate, and it'll give you the nutritional facts for it.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Yeah but I mean, thats all after the fact. How do you know when you are ordering and stuff?

I am curious as to how you came up with these numbers?

refeed every 7 days (170 grams protien 350-400 grams carbs + incidental fats)
    While this might be true it would depend on his bf%. If he is 15% or above then refeeding probably would not offer many metabolic benefits.

Originally posted by Harrison486
    Yeah but I mean, thats all after the fact. How do you know when you are ordering and stuff?
    Well sometimes you just have to estimate when you are eating at a restaurant. When preparing meals at home you could just weigh your food using a cheap food scale of some sort, although you can generally get a good idea of the amount of calories you are eating by using the nutrition label. After a while it will be easy to estimate the sizes of your portions.

I WANT TO BE SKINNY! (then big!) Well, I recently began to work out at the gym. I am using WBB Routine # 1. After reading a lot on this site (thanx for all the info guys!) I have decided that right now I wanna lose all my fat before I start trying to gain muscle. I would rather be skinny right now than be overweight and try to gain muscle. I am about 5'10 and about 170. I am not obese or overly fat, but I am a little chubby, not extremely obvious, except in my gut and other areas of my body. Please help me out! How can I lose this fat?!? Any help you can give me would be extremely appreciated!!! Thanks.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ght=guidelines
    Last edited by bradley; 06-30-2003 at 04:45 PM.

dude is 170 pounds

1700-1900 cals is in the 10-11 times bodyweight range

170 grams of protien, 1 gram / pound

dude is 170 pounds

1700-1900 cals is in the 10-11 times bodyweight range

170 grams of protien, 1 gram / pound
    The bodyweight formulas should only be used as a rough estimate at best IMO. They do not take into account things such as activity level, bf%, metabolism, etc. Obviously a person that is 200lbs. at 10% bf will need more calories per day than a 200lb. person at 18%.

Adjusting calories up or down in small increments until you are losing/gaining the desired amount of weight each week would be a better approach IMO.

sure but this guy is 5' 10 and 77kg's

I think the guide is fine in this case.

I do take your point and agree with it though

I personally don't believe in using formulas. Formulas do not account for lifestyle or metabolism very well. My recommendation would be to experiment with your diet. Lower the calorie intake until you are loosing approximately 0.5-1lb per week. Do not completely judge your progress by the scale either. When beginning an exercise routine it is not uncommon to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time. If you seem to be loosing fat but the scale doesn't report a change, you may simply be gaining muscle. The mirror is very useful in measuring your progress.
    Eating clean may also help you loose weight. Foods that are high in fiber are often relatively low-calorie and tend to fill you up so you will eat less. Examples of high fiber foods are veggies, oatmeal, fruit (fruit is high in sugar though), and beans.
    You also want to make sure you are eating enough protein to promote muscle growth. 1-1.2 grams of protein per lb of body weight are all you need. No more than this is necessary. Also, don't be too weary of fat. It is good for you. Fats help you feel satiated, are important in the absorption of some vits and mins, and are important in the synthesis of some hormones.
    Well, I have to go to work. Hope that's some help. Peace
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

I have finally gotten myself committed to working out. The problem I always have is that I can never get myself to commit to a diet. I have heard that you should be eating about 6 meals a day as opposed to 3. If I were to make sure my 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) were nice and clean and whatch what I ate, would eating small healthy snacks in between be helpful? Also, while Im at school, I cant really eat a meal in between the main meals. Are there any good health bars or anything you would suggest bringing to eat in between my main meals?

3 main meals and 3 snacks should work out well. A protein bar might be your best bet, but there are probably some high-schoolers in this forum that can suggest something better.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Alright thanx. In the mean time any specific bar that you would suggest?

I have finally gotten myself committed to working out. The problem I always have is that I can never get myself to commit to a diet. I have heard that you should be eating about 6 meals a day as opposed to 3. If I were to make sure my 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) were nice and clean and whatch what I ate, would eating small healthy snacks in between be helpful? Also, while Im at school, I cant really eat a meal in between the main meals. Are there any good health bars or anything you would suggest bringing to eat in between my main meals?
    Eating 3 meals per day will be fine, assuming that you eat something upon waking up and before going to bed. Otherwise eating 6 meals per day is not going to make much difference, although some find that they can control their appetite better with 6 meals as opposed to 3.

Having a couple of snacks throughout the day would be fine IMO, and some easy snacks that come to mind are sandwiches, nuts, protien bars, and shakes.

Alright thanx. In the mean time any specific bar that you would suggest?
    There are numerous varieties of protein/energy bars available. Some of the more popular ones that I see mentioned are the Detour, U-Turn, and Nitro-Tech bars.

Re: I Want To Be Skinny!

*** If you are going to be using a formula here are some numbers that you can use to start you off on your fat loss journey.

Start at 2380-2770 calories a day and subtract between 200-350 cals about 2-3 weeks after you've eaten consistantly at whatever starting number you've chosen.

From the starting number of cals you use, aim for 1.4-1.8 grams of protein (107.8-138.6). Your remainder of your cals can be split up between fats and carbs.

This is just one basicapproach you can take as I do not know what your background is. It is not set in stone and I am not saying this is the best way.

Good luck.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo