Thread: How important is it to do full sets at a time?

How important is it to do full sets at a time?

Say I'm aiming for two sets of 6 reps on a new weight. And I get 4 reps the first time before failure, then get 3 on the next. Resting and then coming back, I get another 3. At the end of my workout, I come back and squeeze out another 2.

Even though I've completed my target reps, is this going to be as effective as doing full sets? Or would it be better to drop the weight immediately, get 6 reps each with that, and try the heavier weight again next week?

Thanks.

Gonadius Maximus
    try drop sets

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    If you're aiming for 6 reps and you get 4 the first set and 3 the next, you need to do less weight.

No, I dont think that partial sets are as effective as full sets.

You can kinda think about it like this(little extreme but maybe will give you the idea) if you did one rep 12 different times would you figure it would be as effective as doing 4 3 3 2. But in the reverse if your getting more than your goal then raise the weight.
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

if you're doing a lift at the beginning of your workout, fall short, do all your other lifts, and then at the end of the workout try to come back and do another set... i can't imagine that would be good at all.

I think I get it now. If I can't do a full set in the future, I'll drop the weight immediately. What I was thinking before was that perhaps the action of getting the weight up 12 times would be better than easily doing two sets of less weight.

Thanks.