The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by the doc
    i just wanted to note for the record that those powercleans i performed a few days ago have my WHOLE body sore as bloody hell!!

man i may have to find a way to sneak them in on a regular basis for some good anerobic HIIT type work
    I love powercleans. I would usually toss them in on weeks where I was squating and replace deads with them in hopes to conserve my lower back. They're definitely one of the best movements.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

bone crusher
    LP- hey yeah I'm not 100 % sure yet. Will depend on if the woman was still planning to be away that weekend, which she is now not sure about

HY- THey are great, but I am not sure about my form. Perhaps next time i do em I'll try to take a movie so i can have it critiqued
    My back is pretty sore also, but i had just performed squats two days earlier

Well you could bring her along if you wanted to. So far everyone seems to be crammed into my place, but I think there are hotel vouchers available for a room that haven't been taken advantage of.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Doc, are you a vacation? Time to lift something, anything!!!!!!

As for TO, it would be great to see you back up here using our funny money. We even dropped the cent back down so you could by more this month.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

bone crusher
    howdy everyone! I live again

Well I was on vacation at the beach last week, didn't have much time to get online, nor did i get to workout much. Did manage to get in some cardio however at the hotels

ALso, i wont get to come up in jan. for sure now. I actually talked to my GF and she was interested to go and we had basicly decided to go, but my sister just called me today and wants to visit and really wants to see my place and i havent seen her in a long time. Hopefully she and I can come up around the new years again

Started off the week on sunday with a good round of elliptical for 30 min followed by my circuit style workout

DB bench
    OH press
    machine row
    lat pulldown
    tri pulldown
    cable curl
    ab cruch

10-12 reps per exercise
    went through this circuit 3 x and each was well short of failure
    i used ~ 2 min rest in between circuits, and about 10-15 sec in between exercises (just long enough to get set)

Today I worked legs with liquid sister

she is throwing up 65 on full squats (just below parallel) for sets of 5 and finished with some calf raises.

I started the day with some explosive powercleans

135 x5 , x5, x5, x6

The last set was to failure. I love these. I had real explosive forceon both the legs and trap contractions. I actually had some air time (lol!) on the way up

Followed them with some true ass to the floor squats.
    A while back i dropped the wieght, adjusted my stance and form (which allowed me significantly more flexibility) and go really low. Way past parallel

135 x 17 (2 asst'd)

Breathing style. Past failure
    damn near puked afterwards

weight is down ~8-10 lbs

bone crusher
    played softball for two hours tonight

1 hour of umpiring and 1 hour of active playing
    body is trashed... that is all

How old is your sister?

:evillaugh
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

bone crusher
    hey!

bone crusher
    2 hrs of HIIT softball tonight. Damn it we are playing really well but have won a game yet

Dude, I don't think you can count softball as exercise.

So are you, your girl, and your sister coming up? If she just wants to visit, better here than there anyway.

Current FFFA Enforcer

bone crusher
    lmao LP! We play some serious softball, lot of running

Looks like we'll have to try for some time around new years like we did last year

cutting update. Fatloss has slowed a bit the last week. I was traveling on the road a lot so diet was challenging to maintain. However, we're back on track. Checked today and I'm still ~7 lbs down. Just want to keep a slow steady pace over the summer.

Workouts are going well. Still holding strength. WOrked out yesterday

BB bench
    95x7, 135x4, 185x1
    225x2 + 1 FR
    195x7 + 2FR
    -no gloves just chalk. Works well
    - holding here although set felt very strong, I think i have three in me for next time

cable rows
    70x10, 110x6,
    180x2+1, 150x7 +2

pulldowns 130x6, 225x7, dropset- 230x6 ->170x5 ->110x10

OH press 80x4, 150x7, 180x4 + 2 FR

ONe of the worlds strongest men, Phil Pfister was working out in my gym. It is a small gym and i was like 15 feet from him the whole time. He is a big MOFO!

bone crusher
    Oh and today i put in 25 min HIIT eliptical and 3 giant sets on the above outlined circuit. reps were held around 12 for each exercise. Feels like a damn good workout

bone crusher
    25 min hiit cardio followed by circuit HIIT wieght training
    8 excersices, 12-16 reps (still ending short of failure)

went through the circuit twice.

bone crusher
    2 hours of softball last night... we won our first game, 20 - 5, with 20 runs you can imagine i did quite a bit of running last night

Also, i noticed i forgot to post my arm workout from tuesday... will do that tonight

bone crusher
    *raises journal from purgatory*

I have been working out... fat loss has slowed and I need to reaccess diet. Reduce carbs a bit more and keep up with cardio regimen

30 elliptical tonight

arms tomorrow

hey whats up doc?

anyway i have an friend in teh army and he says elliptical walkers are no good but i still use them, what are your thoughts?
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

bone crusher
    howdy Mcbain!

I see no problem with elliptical. IMO, it is a very benificial and low impact form of cardio. Why dont you ask him what is reasoning is behind his claim.

bone crusher
    worked out for the first time in 3 weeks

at least i've dropped to a constant 225 during the last of the softball season

have a groin pull and fukked up knee so i had to modify leg workout. No suatting type movement (groin) and leg curls (left knee)

so i did some modest leg extensions and SLDLs

damn... gonna be a tough restart.

I am dedicated however. THings will settle out in my personal life i a couple of weeks and I can refocus on getting back to the basics

Damn, bad break Mark. Get better soon will ya.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

bone crusher
    thanks jeff!

Had a good back workout last night. DIdn't have my spotter with me so instead of pushing past failure, I performed higher volume just short of failure with the last set up to failure

cables
    cybex pulldowns
    shrugs

10 set total, followed by 15 min on the tready at medium pace

Stop pulling your groin pervert. tuttut

Current FFFA Enforcer

bone crusher
    LP... um yeah

30 min ellitical followed by some light recovery work

bone crusher
    worked arms and abs hard last night

a bit higher on the volume but not all sets to failure.

i'm experiementing a bit with periodizing the failure training

Just spam, because I'm glad that you're alive and posting again!
    You can't babysit this.

bone crusher
    was able to work legs today

squat, still cant - groin and l. knee

leg press - worked up to 470 over 4 sets. ran (470 x 8) x 5

copious amounts of stretching afterwards