Thread: Philosophical Question

Philosophical Question

I was thinking about the phrase "You are what you eat" this morning, and it got me thinking.....if you use this phrase to decide what to eat from day to day, logically it would become "You eat what you are", right? I'm not saying cannibalism, but does this presume one should eat primarily protein, and fats, even saturated fats, and perhaps a little carbo, and drink lots of water?

I mean does it validate making red meat a staple of your diet? I'm thinking about this stuff called pemmican, which is basically 1 part rendered animal fat to 1 part dried meat. It has almost 100% digestibility, and a person could survive, and survive well eating about 3/4 of a pound of it a day. (Native American Hunters used to use this when going on trips). So you have this food, which is quite similar to what our bodies are and it has almost 100% digestibility and bio-availability. Does this mean it's a perfect food for us?

does anyone have any input on this subject? (I don't need anyone to TELL me what the right way to eat is - this is just a philosophical nutritional discussion)
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

It's all the same when digested anyhow.

You get amino's, fats, and glucose.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    Yeah, but at what ratio? Homer Simpson
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

bone crusher
    i agree. Fat and protein are the center of my diet with cycling of carb intake for anabolic purposes.
    Last edited by the doc; 08-22-2001 at 11:23 AM.

so, doc....do you think it would make sense to eat like that all the time?

to give your body the exact building blocks it needs to build off of, as opposed to supplementing, or making do, or combining or whatever?

Re: Philosophical Question

Originally posted by Tryska
    So you have this food, which is quite similar to what our bodies are and it has almost 100% digestibility and bio-availability. Does this mean it's a perfect food for us?

*** A perfect food for humans or BB'ers?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

perhaps both maki mak...depending on if you ascribe to "fat isn't evil" or not.

Structure and fuel. The two primary components of a human body. You can't survive optimally just eating for structure (proteins and fats, muscle and bone), unless you're talking about NHE, CKDs, etc.

What resides in our bones, our muscles, etc., are only part of the whole picture. What fuels us (glucose) cannot simply be found in meat; there are other things that the body requires, otherwise humans would be carnivores. Our system is optimized for an omnivorous diet; just because carbs do not sit around our bodies does not mean they contribute nothing when ingested.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

bone crusher
    Originally posted by Belial
    What fuels us (glucose) cannot simply be found in meat....

Yes, but oxidative phosphorlation is really what fuels us. Fat (more specificly acetyl CoA) can be the primary source of reduced electron carriers.

I believe humans evolved omnivorous behavior from the need to eat what ever was available.

I think the term "you are what you eat" was never meant to be taken literally.

We have survived as a species because we can eat almost anything to survive including each other.

But as someone said, are you talking about Humans or Bodybuilders?

Surviving and leading a long and healthy life that is congruent with your bodybuilding goals are not the same thing.

Unfortunately, human's are intelligent and have opened the Pandora's box. We are now the architects of "What was meant to be" as opposed to just simple followers of it.

hehe, I can't believe I just said "Unfortunately, human's are intelligent"

"Nothing is good or evil, only thinking makes it so" Shakespeare or something

I dunno hemants...i think you have no choice but to look at that statement literally. Your body does. You are literally what you eat. If it's meats and vegetables and fats and all that stuff...your body will break it down and put the various nutrients to use in your body....ie - the dietary fat you eat becomes cell wall bilipid layers, and brain bits....the amino acids in protein become muscle, and myelin sheaths, the phytochemicals in the vegetables and fruit become anit-oxidants in your blood stream, and vitamin "helpers", the glucose from starches become muscle glycogen. But what about the chemicals? the nutrasweet, and msg, and trans-fatty acids and preservatives...they all become what you are too.

I agree that the fork is one of the most powerful tools known to man. It can heal and it can kill.

But a car is not fuel.

It's interesting to try and use abstraction and come up with "simple gems of wisdon" for eating when the processes involved in nutrion are very diverse and complex.

If I HAD to abstract I would say variety and balance are the key principles for a healthy diet.