Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do guns really cause violence?

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar

Do guns really cause violence?

Here is a genuinely interesting research project on that very topic.

http://www.roughwheelers.com/montego/gun_cam.html
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

Wannabebig New Member
    HAHAHA awesome post . I grewup in the inner city where gun crime was the norm . I live in the country now and I'll bet there is 5 guns per household compared to 1 gun every five houses in the inner city and guess what ? We have no gun crimes here . So the guns must not be committing any crimes .

I love these inner city housing projects that are trying to sue some gun manufacturers for the gun deaths . What a bunch of total idiots . A total lack of parental involvement and no respect by anyone there and it's the gun makers fault .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Brawl, i agree with you totally. Last time i counted we have over 12 guns lol (only 3 are mine)

Kc

if guns caused crime, spoons caused roseanne to be fat.
    Point is that criminal with gun is more dangerous than criminal with knife
    Last edited by Reinier; 07-05-2003 at 02:14 AM.

^Not true dude. I'll find the statistics but its like 9 in 10 violent crimes are committed with no weopon at all.
    Anyways book marked. Genius.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

I just saw it move.

I've never seen a gun kill anyone. I've only seen someone pick up the gun and kill someone with it, but never NEVER seen a gun itself get up and shoot someone on it's own.

exactly what vital said!
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

I haven't read anything but the title yet, but I'd bet guns PREVENT violence.
    5-9 170

I realise most gun murders in the USA are committed with illegal unregistered guns, but separate from that- what causes the US`s high murder rate in the first place?

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    There are far too many factors involved to just blame guns on the violence. The mixing of cultures always results in violence. Look at the ****ing middle east. THere are too many things involved to put your finger on the 'reason' there is so many murders in America.

BTW, MOST of them happen in big cities. New York had some 2000 murders in the early 90s, and about 650 in 2003. You know how many murders happened in Folsom, California during those same period? ONE. By the time New York and LA had murders that would surpass the population of Folsom, one person was murdered IN Folsom, and it was committed by a non-resident, too.

Whats your reason, Reinier?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    There must be no violence whatsoever in the USA then.

"Guns don't kill people - People kill people."
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Originally posted by ryan1117
    I highly doubt this claim.

another similiar but false claim is this;

Increasing visible police presence out in the community (preventative police patrol) prevents crime.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

I dont have a reason thats why Im asking.

Comparing community policing to crime prevention by guns isn't the same issue.

I've got literature showing that community policing does nothing but make citizens feel safer; I also have literature showing that armed citizens prevent a LOT more crimes than they cause.

I guess it comes down to what you want. Do you want more victimizations, ie, robberies, rapes, burglaries, or are you willing to tolerate more violent criminals being shot dead thus accounting for the higher murder rate?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

"I've got literature showing that community policing does nothing but make citizens feel safer; I also have literature showing that armed citizens prevent a LOT more crimes than they cause."

Ive got literature showing the earth is flat and cats noses are always cold except on the longest summers day

Congratulations. Mine was done in the past 5 years.

Also, the point was more to show that the literature doesn't necessarily mean that what it says is fact.

If you're going to make an argument as being fact, you need a little more than a few sketchy studies, opinions, or hearsay, to establish your point.

You American-hating Europeans have yet to grasp this point.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Those studies were done in the past 5 years too.

I`m just saying id like to see those studies and see just how they proved guns prevent crime
    Last edited by Reinier; 07-06-2003 at 02:53 AM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by PowerManDL

You American-hating Europeans have yet to grasp this point.
    I'm all for more liberal gun laws in the US.

How's that for american hating?? Labels are a wonderfull thing, they have this permissive quality to them that I just can't resist.....

Guns don't cause violence. Guns are "tools" which some people use for violent acts against others.

Guns do , however, make the violence much more likely to end up in death and they allow for violence on a greater scale. Someone can kill a lot more people more quickly with a machine gun (for example).

In other words, someone can breakup a fist fight, they can't really breakup a gun fight. So, if there were no guns there would still be violence. People would still have knives, rocks, tree branches etc. to use as weapons. Guns just allow for more efficient violence.

Chris nailed it. . .

Which is why they are so effective as defensive tools. Very comforting for the women threatened with rape, the elderly when someone breaks into their home, etcetera.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

Gen_chat worst nightmare

Re: Chris nailed it. . .

Originally posted by JohnCollins
    Which is why they are so effective as defensive tools. Very comforting for the women threatened with rape, the elderly when someone breaks into their home, etcetera.
    And for angry teenagers desperate for some atention.....

Nailed it again. God help one of them angry teenagers who starts looking for attention when I'm around! They'll get attention. I'm accurate, too.

You surprise me, Restless, I didn't think you'd post a reason in favor of licensed carry by law-abiding individuals. I'm glad to see you have an open mind.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by JohnCollins
    Nailed it again. God help one of them angry teenagers who starts looking for attention when I'm around! They'll get attention. I'm accurate, too.

You surprise me, Restless, I didn't think you'd post a reason in favor of licensed carry by law-abiding individuals. I'm glad to see you have an open mind.
    ummmmmmm

I'm just glad we don't have that many in my country, it allows us to keep a murder rate that is a small fraction of yours. Anyway, like everyone kind of said, guns are not the problem, the lack of respect for life is.
    Last edited by restless; 07-06-2003 at 08:25 AM.