The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hip pain when squatting

I'm not sure if I injured it trying to lift too much or what. But I get a sharp pain in my left leg. Very high up. Close to my pelvic bone. It *feels* like hip pain. I do deadlifts on squat day and this doesnt bother me. Only when I squat. I had a good squat workout today despite this pain (which isnt bad yet). What should I do? Take a week off or two from squats?
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret Iíve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years theyíve played

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i had that problem before, it was on my left side right by my hip and turned out to be my SI joint out of place. you might consider seeing someone like a chiropractor to fix that up.
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

I know that feeling well since I've be battling it for over a year now. My advice is to take a little time off the squats and move to something that hits the legs hard but doesn't aggrivate the hips. If you don't want to do that, just do what I do....When I feel okay, I move big weight, when I feel some mild pain, I back off and do less. Do you sumo deadlift or conventional? Sumo places much more stress on the hips in my experience. Also make sure you are warmed up properly before starting. I'm particularly guilty of that which is probably not helping my situation! Good luck!
    Brad
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

Banned
    what is your foot position/width on the squats?

a wider stance tends to put more strain on the hip adductors... I know ElPietro was struggling with this recently.

i may have been going down too deep too. I think this is when it happened.

I stand with my feet a little wider than shoulder length apart.

Originally posted by Turboboy
    I know that feeling well since I've be battling it for over a year now. My advice is to take a little time off the squats and move to something that hits the legs hard but doesn't aggrivate the hips. If you don't want to do that, just do what I do....When I feel okay, I move big weight, when I feel some mild pain, I back off and do less. Do you sumo deadlift or conventional? Sumo places much more stress on the hips in my experience. Also make sure you are warmed up properly before starting. I'm particularly guilty of that which is probably not helping my situation! Good luck!
    Brad
    thanks, i may try. Holy sh*t bro were you always at 7% bf??? I'm around 18-20% and would love to get to 11. How long did it take you to get to 7%?

I had the same pain. Although, I've always had pain from either of my hips at times. I did tweak or strain something squatting a while back. I took something like 2-3 months off, and just started squatting again now. Seems fine so far, but haven't gone too heavy yet.

You can work out with it lightly and see if it still pains you. If so you have the choice of living with the pain and probably not being able to lift as much anymore, or take some time off and let it heal. For me, even leg press hurt until I shortened the ROM, although I probably was going to deep on leg press anyway. Good luck.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer