Thread: Is joint pain only annoying, or is actually hazardous

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar

Is joint pain only annoying, or is actually hazardous

when i asked my doctor a while ago about my elbow joint pain he recommended ibuprofen, but that's a painkiller. he told me that stuff like glucosomine doensn't work. a lot of joint medicines like icyhot only "palleates" pain not cure it. r there any serious problems w/ joint pain or is it just nothing more than a nuisance? same q for lower back pains
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

I posted a similar question recently, advice was to take cod liver oil, only been on it a week, I'll see how it go's, when my elbows hurt, i take an extra day off.... seems to work, knock back the weight for a week or two.
    Keep it simple

taking pain killers is not a good way to solve "pain" problems; its your body telling you to slow down and take a break. assuming your lifting technique is proper, maybe its a good idea to take a week off or so. be especially wiery about lower back pain, cause it will haunt you when you get older.
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~

Wannabebig Member
    I think that the pain is telling you to lay off the exercise for a while and let the muscle heal. How much do you lift?

If you want to know what can happen when you continue to train while experiencing pain ask Maddog and he will tell you. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you pm'd him. They reason I say this is because he went through the same pain you are.
    Last edited by vox; 08-22-2001 at 06:43 PM.

The nice thing about ibuprofen is that not only is it a painkiller, it is an anti-inflammatory as well. This very well may help your elbow, Podium, though I have to go along with the others and say that you may want to look a little closer at the form you are using in the exercise that causes the pain, as well as possibly taking a little time off.

i dont think the doctor told u to take the ibuprofen because its a pain reliever. but like what craig said, because it's an anti-inflammatory

i would lay off of certain exercises that bother your elbow. it could be more serious than you think. my dad had shoulder problems for a long while and he ended up having to have surgery because of it.

he had to have his shoulder's scraped. ..

Originally posted by tomlifter
    How much do you lift?
    Why do you ask this?

Podium, to answer your question about lower back pain, be very careful here if you are experiencing this, as there could be some things going on here. A bulging disk, burst disk, or even a form of scoliosis are all possibilities in the cause of low back pain, as well as just good old fashioned muscle pain.

I personally experienced a bulging disk in my lower back that had me in sever discomfort off and on for a good three years. I was unable to sit for more than 15 minutes at a time, and had the classic sciatic nerve pain running down my right leg when it really flared up. I will not say that all chiropractors are bad, but the one I went to see early on misdiagnosed my back problem as just scar tissue that needed multiple 'manipulations'. The manipulations did not give me any relief, and it got to the point where I was in so much pain that I would do anything to get it fixed, even go under the knife. I went to a neurologist the second time around, and he came up with a proper diagnosis of the bulging disk. How did he fix it? Well, at the time I saw him, I could barely walk, so he prescribed some heavy duty pain meds and some 800mg tabs of ibuprofen to hopefully lower any inflammation in the back. We then made an appointment for an epidural injection. I have to say, I have seen many of these types of injections, and it would have been the last thing in the world that I would want performed on me, but I was hurting so badly I was ready to do it. The neurologist also put me into physical therapy sessions. Let me say how fortunate I was that the 800mg tabs of ibuprofen kicked in and lowered the inflammation to the point where two days later I was no longer in any pain. I cancelled the epidural injection, and after going through a month of PT, I learned the error of my ways when it comes to unstretched hammies, unworked abs, and improper lifting. And I have not had a problem with my back since then.

As always, if you are having some severe pains, go see a doctor. In the mean time, to help prevent lower back problems, be sure that you are keeping your hamstrings well stretched out, that you keep working your abs real well, and that you be careful of how you lift things. There is a right way and a wrong way to lift to protect your back.

Podium,

Deal with it now. Inflammation in my elbows got so bad that I couldn't sleep at night. I kept on going to the point where I couldn't bear it any more and had to stop all upper body training. I was taking 12 ibuprofin a day with no improvements. Finally, after almost six months of no upper body training (I had to stop all pull movements as well as push movements) and bottle of celebrex (prescription strength anti-inflammatory) I finally am pain free and after playoffs for my fastball season I will be back at it. I might have been an extreme case, ibuprofin may be what you need but what ever you do don't ignore this problem.
    ...it's more friendly for trainers to say, "yeah, we can help you tone up!" rather than saying, "yeah, we can help you get rid of that fat ass!"

Anthony

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    What they said... take joint pain seriously, see a good doc to get it checked out, and lay off the exercises that bother that joint for awhile.

If you don't, you could end up with permanent damage and/or surgery...not cool.

Remember that a little time off doesn't hurt you in the long run but a major injury could put you out for good

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    what about lower back? that's my main concern. i once did it w/ bad form and it's still here. i rested for 2 week intervals and it comes back, and i do them w/ good form.

i generally squat heavy, but it hurts when i do 20 rep squats too. could the liftoff be a prob? when i max out i have two spotters and my back pain is not there. will rest help heal lower back? what about those upsidedown-hanging-of-pullup-bars thingy?
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Originally posted by Craig James
    As always, if you are having some severe pains, go see a doctor. In the mean time, to help prevent lower back problems, be sure that you are keeping your hamstrings well stretched out, that you keep working your abs real well, and that you be careful of how you lift things. There is a right way and a wrong way to lift to protect your back.