The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Tummy Timmy To Total Turnaround

Well ok, I am not going to be on the cover of Men's Health, but that doesn't mean i can't achieve a physique similar to a few of the lads they sport on their covers.

Currently weigh 196lbs and i am 6foot 1in with about 16% BF.

The goal is to drop the BF% to around 8-10% while maintaining as much weight as i can. It may very well be that i drop some weight first, then bulk, only to cut once more.

I am back to lifting weights for the first time in years, going to give it some serious effort this time. Still going to pound out some cardio and my diet i think is in great shape, now that Bradley has had a chance to steer me in the right direction

Tomorrow is day one, of the weight part. Using WBB #1 to get myself going. Following an ab routine from a book on ABs, (so many different ab exercises in there, all with diagrams etc) its tittled "legendary ABs" and its a 9 month routine to creating a washboard and a book on general health and fitness too.

I think for the first time i truly understand what it takes to transform the body in to a lean mean (fill in your word here) machine.

I hope that when i hit some speedbumps in my routines you guys will be there to help me through the tough times while also providing encouragement through the good times.

My biggest concern is sleep. I don't get 8 hours a day, more like 5.5-6 and i don't even have kids or a crazy lifestyle anymore. I just don't seem to sleep well. Anyone with any rememdies for sleep, that would be appreciated. May have to try reading a bit to calm down before i hit the pillow.
    I'm the kind of guy who likes to eat cereal in the morning while watching tv in my undershorts.
    -Roger Clemens

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try melatonin for the sleep, I took one last night and slept like a log. I think it's the stuff found naturally in turkey that makes people sleepy. Ever eaten turkey and felt sleepy afterwards? They sell the pills, you can take 1-3 I think safely. Goodluck with your new routine, just eat right and stay consistent. If results don't come, work harder!

You could try drinking a bunch of milk. The tryptophan makes some people really drowsy.

Wannabebig Member
    does the milk have to be warm as for the melatonin, is that stuff safe to be taking, seems to me that i should just learn to relax more
    I'm the kind of guy who likes to eat cereal in the morning while watching tv in my undershorts.
    -Roger Clemens

Melatonin isn't found in food. It's secreted by the pineal gland. It's safe to take. How much it helps is up for debate though. I haven't tried it so I can't say. The stuff found in turkey that makes you tired is tryptophan like Scott said. It can make you sleepy too. Try relaxing more and the milk or turkey first (I don't think temperature should matter). If that doesn't work try the melatonin. Good luck with your journal.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Re: Tummy Timmy To Total Turnaround

Originally posted by Fenway
    My biggest concern is sleep. I don't get 8 hours a day, more like 5.5-6 and i don't even have kids or a crazy lifestyle anymore. I just don't seem to sleep well. Anyone with any rememdies for sleep, that would be appreciated. May have to try reading a bit to calm down before i hit the pillow.
    Some techniques for improving sleep are listed at http://www.caminomedical.org/handouts/insomnia.html . My doctor gave me a pamphlet that was identical to this page when I first saw him about my sleeping difficulties. If you wish to use sleeping aids, in my opinion there are more effective alternatives to melatonin . A good website where users rate various medications, treatments, and share results is at http://www.remedyfind.com/sym.asp?id=19
    Last edited by aka23; 08-03-2003 at 11:42 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the links, checking them out now.........

There truly will be a workout log tomorrow, i promise
    -Roger Clemens

Good luck with your Journal man ill be checking your journal every now and then and making sure your staying on stack c ya!!!!

Wannabebig Member
    So i am the weakest 196lbs that walks the face of the earth, these numbers are pretty pathetic, please keep in mind its only day one tho.....

Day 1) Chest and Biceps

Flat Barbell BP i am not sure if the bar is a 35 or a 45lb
    95x8
    95x6
    95x5

Dips, haha 3 only twice...so i went to a seated dip and instead did the following :

4 sets of 50x8 reps
    1 set of 90x1 (the weight i will use the next time for sure)

Chin ups....man do i suck....3 assisted only 3 times..... is there a way to do chin up on some sort of machine until i build confidence and strength...or do i just have to suck it up?

Hammer curls 15lbs controlled slow movement 4 sets of 8 reps
    seated bicep curl on a machine 40lbs controlled 4 sets of 8 reps
    standing dumbell bicep curls 20lbs per side 4 sets of 8 reps.

Well, as you can see i am new and not even sure of all the lingo, and even worse i am as weak as a butterfly..... but i will make progress and gain confidence.

I will post the diet for the day later just before bed.

as for sleep....the last three days i have averaged 10 hours a day, well above the norm for me.

looking to do a 4 day split, chest/bis, back/tris/ sholders, legs.
    following my own ab routine, and i am not looking to bulk for ego, i am interested in putting on muscle but at a controlled, and slow pace so as not to injure myself.

any constructive criticism or spam greatly appreciated.
    -Roger Clemens

So i am the weakest 196lbs that walks the face of the earth, these numbers are pretty pathetic, please keep in mind its only day one tho.....
    You are going to get very strong very fast since you are new to weights. Just keep at it goodluck.