Thread: To join or not to join...that is the question

Wannabebig Member

To join or not to join...that is the question

The office building that my work is located in has a gym that is free but I've been tempted to join a "golds gym" type for roughly $15/month (2 years prepaid of course). I'd be curious to know others' thoughts. The main reason I would want to join is the diversity of equipment vs the limited equipment at my work. Here's a list of the equipment at my work:

#1: Leg Extension,Standing Calf, Shoulder Extensions (straight up)
    #2: Seated (upright) Bench and Flye Machine
    #3: Lat Pulldown and "Row" machine (not sure if that is term)
    #4: Preacher Curl Machine and Tri-cep Extension
    #5: Leg (&calf) Press Machine.
    Dumbells (pairs up to 50 pounds...which quite frankly is plenty for me for now)
    No Barbells
    Bench w/upright adjustment
    Elliptical, Treadmill, Bicycle
    Inclined Situp board, Exercise balls

Quite frankly this may be all I really need for a full body workout. We thought about asking the landlord to add one or two pieces. So here are my questions:

1) would I really (materially) benefit from joining a club or should just say thank you to my landlord and quit complaining
    2) What additional equipment should I ask for? (thought about a dip/pullup machine)

thanks in advance
    Mattlock

Train at work until you outpace the equipment, then join a gym.

Yep, like Chris said. You will probably outpace it rather quickly though. But you could always do your cardio on lunchbreak, or before work, and then workout at golds after work. That is if you plan on doing cardio.

Without a barbell, or dumbells that go to a significant amount, you won't get much value out of it after a short time.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member

yep

I just started working out so this should last me a while. As for cardio, I have an elliptical at home that I do twice and week and weights on Mon, Wed and Friday.

thanks,
    Last edited by Mattlock; 07-07-2003 at 07:21 PM.

keep progressing and you'll be in that gold's in no time.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Man.... golds gym is another world... my friend goes there and he saw kovacs/the big black guy from the front page of the nitro tech ads/some other big famous Black BB i can't remember and a whole bunch of strongment from the metrx competition.... WOW!
    w00t

Wannabebig Member

equipment

Anyone have any thoughts as to what equipment would be a good addition?

Dip/pullup machine?
    Ab machine?
    others??

Power rack and heavier db's.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg