Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will it take to look big with a shirt on!

Hybrid View

What will it take to look big with a shirt on!

I look pretty good after a workout with my shirt off. But damn, when I have clothes on...people can hardly tell I lift! This feels like an uphill battle. I guess I am kind of ectomorphish to begin

Does anyone else share my pain? Do I have to just keep training ??? Or am I doomed to this forever.
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret Iíve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years theyíve played

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Buy a shirt a size too small?
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    are you still cutting ?

do you need to be cutting ?

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Wear a sleeveless shirt?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Banned
    at your height (6'2") you'll need to start weighing in at a low-BF 210 or 220 or so (or more!) to get the look you're hoping for... from what I can see of your lifts and extrapolating that vs. your weight (190something) I'd venture a guess you're probably not far off from that 22% you measured the other week... say 20% for ease of calculation...

anyway, if you halved your bodyfat from 20% to 10% and maintained all of your lean mass, you'd weigh in at about 173 and would be damn skinny lookin', I'd think... now imagine adding 40 or so lbs of mostly-muscle after you're down to 170 and that'd get you back up to 210 or so but lean.

At 6'2", and 10%ish BF, 210 would look big no matter what you wore. I don't know if this inspires you or depresses you but there ya go.

Cal.

Overtrainer.
    Wasn't arnies competition weight about 220?

Why do people talk like its easy to just rock up to 10%bf and 220lbs?

It depresses me. I'm 6'2" at only 160lbs. someone hurt me
    Making love to Mother Thumb and her four daughters.

Join My Odyssey

They're old enough to drive they're old enough to get driven. - VitalRemains
    Mmmmm twins. Double the pleasure double the fun, look out girls cause here I come! - VR Again
    From the pages of our Lord and Savior, Jeebus :alcoholic

Banned
    Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    Wasn't arnies competition weight about 220?

Why do people talk like its easy to just rock up to 10%bf and 220lbs?
    Hey man, no one said it was EASY

and no, arnold didn't compete at 220lbs, IIRC... more like 250ish range. Rock or chris mason could likely confirm this...
    Last edited by Relentless; 07-07-2003 at 08:16 PM.

thanks guys. I like how the first 3 posts had question marks at the end. lol Yea, I'm cutting. I do look like I have some muscle when I wear a tight shirt. But if I wear a "regular" size shirt forget it.

Thanks for the tip Callahan. My bf% is accurate after all I guess. The f'cked up part, is that I still look skinny even @ 20%. My face got a little chubbier though. I would look good naked without this damn fat.

LMAO @ jeebus. Always laugh reading your post I would love to be able to start fresh at 160 ( I actually was 160 before)

Originally posted by Callahan

IIRC... more like 250ish range. Rock or chris mason could likely confirm this...
    I'm fairly certain, the heaviest he ever competed at was at around 235 or so.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Callahan

At 6'2", and 10%ish BF, 210 would look big no matter what you wore. I don't know if this inspires you or depresses you but there ya go.

Cal.
    Inspiring. I am in this for the long haul. How long will it take to drop bf%? 6 months??

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Holy f**k. You're telling me Arnold competed at 235!! Oh man, I am DEFINITELY doing something wrong.

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

No. He states in his book that he was 250 pounds when he first competed, but not as cut as he became during the Olympias.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

arnolds bf was way lower then 10% on stage too.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Dont worry about it. I never look to big either. I mean I have a thick torso and a small waist that shows but I dont look huge. One thing I love about this is it's cool to keep it a secret from everyone, you lift for yourself not everyone else. People sometimes never realize I lift until they see me at the gym and the're shocked. They never knew because i don't walk around wearing small shirt I like to keep to myself. When I get bigger I just buy bigger clothes.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

When I was weighing in the 220lb range, I looked big in pretty much any clothes I was wearing. Now at 200lb with 7% I don't look nearly as big in clothes but look much bigger with a tank top or shirtless. It's just a tradeoff I guess. I still wear XXX shirts but I don't quite fill them out as much now. I used to get upset about not looking big all the time....Now I just don't care. If people don't think I work out, I'll whip my shirt off and show them! lol!
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

Originally posted by NDBeast

No. He states in his book that he was 250 pounds when he first competed, but not as cut as he became during the Olympias.
    I had originally thought of mentioning that in the post, but it seemed to me a trivial point.

When most people speak about Arnold (at his peak), they're speaking about him from the period of 1970-1975 or so. For those contests, he most certainly WASN'T 250.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Banned
    well, I guess the takehome point is that whether he was 235 onstage at 5% or 250something offseason at 10%, he looked big in or out of clothes, which was what stabber was asking about

Looking big in a shirt generally means having a higher bodyfat percentage. Those that are usually ripped don't look very big in a shirt, since there's less mass pushing against the shirt. If you have great lean mass already, and put a coating of fat over it, the shirt will conceal it, but you'll still have the shape and form of a huge guy.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member

big

I believe how you "look" in clothes is due to your genetics also. I am 6'1'' and 220-225 with about 14-16% bf, and I don't look big in clothes or out of clothes. I am blessed with a great lower torso, but have wide hips, small chest and arms. This equates to me not looking the part of a bodybuilder.

decease, RIP
    you won't have to get very big for people to think you look big, but you will probably never think of yourself as big.
    big.

Big shoulders chest and traps would make you look big in a t-shirt, hit them extra hard :evillaugh
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Originally posted by steveo
    you lift for yourself not everyone else.
    :withstupi
    Last edited by J450n; 07-08-2003 at 01:55 PM.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

wear a shirt with muscles printed on it

i think in order to LOOK big in a shirt you have to BE big.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?