Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman vs. Batman

Superman vs. Batman

This is totally irrelavent to anything mentioned ever before, but my friends and I have argued this for the past five years. I don't know how, but at least once every two or three months it comes up and fuels a heated debate.

Who would win in a fight? Superman or Batman?

Now I know that the obvious answer is Superman (and I have argued for this cat since the argument began), but the other folks that pick Batman say how he has such a huge advantage since he is a genius. They then proceed to point out that since Batman is so smart, he would weave kryptonite into his suit, maybe he would block out the sun, maybe he would fight in a cave after many days, ect. ect.

What is your take on this pointless argument?
    Making love to Mother Thumb and her four daughters.

Join My Odyssey

They're old enough to drive they're old enough to get driven. - VitalRemains
    Mmmmm twins. Double the pleasure double the fun, look out girls cause here I come! - VR Again
    From the pages of our Lord and Savior, Jeebus :alcoholic

Batman.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Superman. He can just reverse time until he wins.
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

Originally posted by Manveet
    Batman.
    I need more than a name . It doesnt explain why Batman would win.

P.S. He wouldnt

Join My Odyssey

Mmmmm twins. Double the pleasure double the fun, look out girls cause here I come! - VR Again

Why not. If Batman is the world's smartest human being and all?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Read the comics it was a tie.
    w00t

Mystic Eric
    I'm the comic book geek so I'll give it a go:

Superman entrusted to Batman, Lex Luthor's Kryptonite ring just incase Superman ever goes rogue due to mind control etc. So Batman had that advantage.

If Batman set out a plan or a trap for clark, then it would be more fair game, but if it was a spur of the moment fight, Bruce has no chance.

Thing is, Superman is nearly the speed of light so it would be hard for Batman to touch him but in the comics, supes doesn't usually use his speed to his advantage in fights.

Batman IS genius yes, but Clark is right up there. His brain operates like a computer and is as fast as he is.

There are also things to consider like Superman can just fire heat vision blasts from the atmosphere etc.

Oh, and Superman can't turn back time, he's not as fast as the speed of light.

So when it comes down to it, it really depends on the writer but even though Bats has the ring and is a genius, I dunno if that would be enough to overpower the sheer power of supes.

like you said eric, if it's a straight up tilt, Superman will win. But if the fight allows them to set up plans etc... Batman would win.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Mystic Eric

"Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

Originally posted by Mystic Eric

One of the movies (I can't think of it right now) he flew around the world so fast it started turning the other way to save Lane.

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by p_t

One of the movies (I can't think of it right now) he flew around the world so fast it started turning the other way to save Lane.
    Well you gotta remeber that those movies aren't exactly true to character in some (or even a lot of) aspects. Superman currently can't turn back time.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Batman would win because he's an upper-class white male.

Didnt you learn anything in school?

in the comic book "the dark knight returns" batman whoops on superman when green arrow shoots him w/ a kryptonite arrow
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

let's stop beating around the bush,the real question is, who would win a fight...George W. or Clinton?
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by JHolmes145
    in the comic book "the dark knight returns" batman whoops on superman when green arrow shoots him w/ a kryptonite arrow
    That was done by Frank Miller right? I believe in that series, Supes was made out to be a huge idiot tuttut

Superman would beat the hell out of Batman unless Bats could use kryptonite to his advantage.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Anybody remember the old batman series on TV. I saw it recently after about five years of not seeing it. It is the funniest show of all time.
    One episode with Mr Freeze, had batman and robin trapped in this ice thing. But it wouldn't affect them becuase they were wearing their special bat thermal underpants.

Classic stuff

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    You have TV Land I take it?

Ahem.

Penguin: How can this be? I gassed you!

Batman: Luckily we had the foresight to take out anti-penguin gas pills!

SMACK!

POW!

PFFFFFBBRTTT!!!

Ahh, the classics.

Superman would win.

OH! Eric, I'm terribly ashamed of you. You do realize that Superman DID reverse time, right? Superman FOUR I believe? He spun the earth backwards! Earth spin backwards, time move backwards...THEREFORE- precedent set. Its not up for argument.

The answer is Superman. Just look at all the God like power superman has in comparison to Batman.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Superman, because he's an alien.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Banned
    Originally posted by JHolmes145
    Yeah, that was a Frank Miller graphic novel . . .

I rather liked that one, the art was kinda neat and the story was accessible.

I think part of the confusion/issues around who's tougher arises from the different iterations/versions of superman and batman.

In various incarnations since the Golden Age of comix, both heroes have waxed and waned in apparent power levels, sometimes explained and sometimes not. I'm not enough of comic geek to detail all of the differences for you here, but I think my generalization stands.

IMHO, with adequate prep time and planning, Batman would have the slight edge; he is basically assumed to have near-infinite resources. Coupling that with his intimate knowledge of Supes, and I betcha a combination of magic, kryptonite, and good planning would be enough to break the Man of Steel.

Originally posted by AdamGberg
    let's stop beating around the bush,the real question is, who would win a fight...George W. or Clinton?
    Cretien. He'd wait for the president and ex pres to wear each other out, then pummel them with beavers.

Canada will rule the world

Join My Odyssey

We all know the only real fight is hand to hand, no tricks, no weapons. If two guys get into a fight and one pulls a knife and the other shoots him, it doesn't mean he's the better fighter.

That said, Bruce is nothing without his toys. The son of Jor-El would whoop him good.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Thank you drew. It's what its all about. Superman would win 9.9 chances out of 10.

Screw you batman!@()&

Join My Odyssey

There is a poll on CNN about who would win between The Terminator and The Hulk. Remember people, they are just movies.
    Last edited by Sinep; 06-20-2003 at 11:40 AM.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky