The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by HomeYield

I just think the world is a little overpopulated with humans and a little cleansing needs to be done. Lets wipe out a couple billion and call it a day.
    No argument there.

Most people don't deserve to live: they're stupid or inconsiderate or maybe they just disagree with me about some thing or other.

What I like to say to them is this...
    "You'd make a good bar of soap."

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

No argument there.

Most people don't deserve to live: they're stupid or inconsiderate or maybe they just disagree with me about some thing or other.

What I like to say to them is this...
    "You'd make a good bar of soap."
    Haha, I thought I was the only one to think in this manner.
    Back to the topic, yes, people are weaker physically than they used to be when talking about diseases etc. I think we try to stay too clean. When our immune systems no longer have to function since we have medication for every single small thing that could happen, what next?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

"It's a catch 22. The more treatments we have, the longer we survive - the longer we survive, the more treatments we need because our fathers and grandfathers were treated for the same thing. Thus creating a weaker race. How far can modern medicine progress? As fast as the viruses attacking us today?

How about obesity, cholesterol, and heart attacks? How successful would fast food joints and junk food be without treatments for those?"

Two seperate issues here.

First is the issue of prolonging life in a manner that counteracts genetic disorders. In so far as one assumes that a weak humanity is one that is only physically weak, this may be weakening the gene pool on average. But again, by the very fact of it's existance, it is a treatable weakness.

But that assumption is not entirely sound. At this point in time, I believe that our survival as a species depends more on sound ideas as opposed to sound bodies. Are we more likely to get wiped out by an MS epidemic or a nuclear war? No easy answer.

So it would be silly to suggest that we shouldn't treat things that we can IMO.

Now issue number two wrt the bad food is a survival of the fittest practices. But eating at McDonald's isn't passed down genetically so it's a non-issue.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

MACHINE
    Originally posted by hemants
    "It's a catch 22. The more treatments we have, the longer we survive - the longer we survive, the more treatments we need because our fathers and grandfathers were treated for the same thing. Thus creating a weaker race. How far can modern medicine progress? As fast as the viruses attacking us today?

How about obesity, cholesterol, and heart attacks? How successful would fast food joints and junk food be without treatments for those?"

Two seperate issues here.

First is the issue of prolonging life in a manner that counteracts genetic disorders. In so far as one assumes that a weak humanity is one that is only physically weak, this may be weakening the gene pool on average. But again, by the very fact of it's existance, it is a treatable weakness.

But that assumption is not entirely sound. At this point in time, I believe that our survival as a species depends more on sound ideas as opposed to sound bodies. Are we more likely to get wiped out by an MS epidemic or a nuclear war? No easy answer.

So it would be silly to suggest that we shouldn't treat things that we can IMO.

Now issue number two wrt the bad food is a survival of the fittest practices. But eating at McDonald's isn't passed down genetically so it's a non-issue.
    I think your still not understanding the question I asked. I didn't ask if we should treat the illnesses/viruses/deseases/ignorance we treat today. I asked if by treating these we're becoming more susceptible to them, and while becoming more intelligent with modern medicine, we're becoming weaker physically as a race. And don't take "survival of the fittest" at face value. I was(perhaps incorrectly) grouping diseased/viral infected/injured/stupid people into a group. The question wasn't what should we do, because I think we're doing the right thing, the question is what is it doing to our race physically, and mentally. Here's another tickler - because stupid people are given more opportunities to live and procreate via modern medicine, is the gap between stupid and intelligent people widening each generation?
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Bottom line is that we have more people surviving today that would not be alive were it not for medicine, surgery, etc.

That as a whole makes us weaker. Now the human race's survival is dependant upon those things.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Technology, as we're referring to here, has not yet signficantly impacted the evolution of our own species. And it will not for such a long time that IMO it is irrelevant.

That sort of change takes many thousands of years to show up. Even if somehow we were able to ensure the survival of our race, leave our solar system before the Sun incinerates the earth as it dies, one day the Universe itself will grow cold and die. And from this fate there can be no reprieve. We are doomed, in the end, no matter what we do.

In the short term, however, man's impact upon evolution does pose a significant threat to our survival as a race. It is not the impact we've had upon our own evolution, though. It is the impact we've had on the evolution of other species that poses the true threat. Namely, bacteria and viruses.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

I think humans should still be living in caves.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

"I asked if by treating these we're becoming more susceptible to them, and while becoming more intelligent with modern medicine, we're becoming weaker physically as a race."

On a purely genetic level this may indeed be true. I'll have to think about it. But there is a lot more to survival of our species than just genetic considerations.

"Here's another tickler - because stupid people are given more opportunities to live and procreate via modern medicine, is the gap between stupid and intelligent people widening each generation?"

is stupidity genetic? is stupidity treatable? not sure what you mean by this
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

MACHINE
    Originally posted by hemants

is stupidity genetic? is stupidity treatable? not sure what you mean by this
    I don't have any references, but think that stupidity/low IQ is hereditary on some level, and the more stupid people that survive, the more likely it is that stupid people get together to procreate, and the more likely it'll be that their children have low IQ. There are exceptions and possibilities - stupid people can get together and have a brilliant child, while brilliant people can get together to have a child with low intelligence. While much of IQ has to do with development factors throughout childhood, brain capacity is not always the same. Everyone does not start off with the same amount of cards in their deck.

Stupidity in itself isn't treatable, but some things that result from stupidity are - injuries, car wrecks, etc that would otherwise be fatal without modern medicine.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Well, up to this point, we can simply look at trends in life expectancy, and so far the answer is an obvious no as for the question of leading to our demise. Yes physically may becoming a more dependent society, but what is dependence? We are just replacing a dependence on extreme physical health and stamina with a dependence on science and research. In the end, we are ultimately going to try to further our lifespans, and that has continually progressed in a positive direction. I don't see a reason to think this will change. Sure diseases adapt, but I have a feeling natural evolution will not outpace human research. There may be hiccups in our evolutionary timeline, but I think as a whole it will continue to trend upward.

Another thing to think about, is that the more advancements means more survivability, which means more minds to work towards the advancement of the species. What if we didn't continually improve, would the great minds that have made great discoveries have lived? Maybe Louis Pasteur wouldn't have survived child birth, and we'd be drinking everything tainted with bacteria still, or someone may not have left bread out to get moldy for 50 more years, which may have meant that maybe Einsteins mother dies before the discovery of penecillin. (sp?)

So it's a very complicated question, and I think as a race, our physical traits, have become less and less important as technology has become a superior means to an end. Now general labour is only around because we haven't built fully functional robots, or it's cheaper to pay some dude to dig a hole.

Who's to say what is more advanced, and what form of dependence is better. Tough to say.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 07-10-2003 at 11:15 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    the future of human evolution is not about physical evolution, IMHO

it's about spiritual, mental and societal evolution -- over the coming years, those are the ones that will matter and that will predicate the continuation of our species