The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

MACHINE

Natural Selection / Survival of the Fittest

Keeping those concepts in mind, do you think that advances in modern medicine, especially during the last century, is making the human population a weaker one, more susceptible to the very diseases/injuries/conditions we are treating ourselves for?

I do. And I think that it may ultimately result in our demise - far in the future of course, if we make it long enough.

discuss

no, don't leave this thread, discuss it now
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I totally agree with you. I've thought this for a long time. Modern technological advances have made it easier to get away with crap that should have been killing us off. The weaker people are just helped to live and survive to breed and keep perpetuating this.

I also think that Mother Nature is doing her best to change this. You see new types of modified diseases popping up all the time trying to do something about it. West Nile, SARS, AIDS. Nature likes to have a balance and we (the human race) have easily unbalanced things.

What happens to a species when it gets overpopulated, it destroys enough of its environment and pretty much dies off until just a few can survive. Overpopulation also results in diseases being passed around extremely quickly.

That's why I've often wondered if humans are really from Earth because if you look at everything else, there is a perfect check and balance system, but toss a few humans in there and its totally screwed up.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

maybe not "screwed up," maybe teh humans are part of the balance. we over populate, we die from nature and each other...we live, we learn....

i just wonder how people still are wearing glasses and stuff after so many years being primative, you would think that wouild of been naturally selected against.

p.s. i hate having to wear contacts...
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

*thinks of pandas*

*has a coronary*

as for the question...yes.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Country Boy
    So due to my genetic disease C.F. {Cystic Fibrosis} your saying I shouldn't deserve to have a chance to live?

Thanks;but I find this "idea" ignorant.I have fought all my life to live.Since birth I have thrived on beating what I have and continue to do so.I say if a person puts up a good fight and are willing to put up w/ the sacrifices of their own daily life {without putting them on others} they deserve every right to live.

People talkin' in this manner "Survival of the Fittest" mentality usually have nothing to complain about.They usually haven't had to fight to live.That is why I find this ignorant.

I wouldn't expect people like you to understand.

Now my feelings on self inflicted illness are diff.If a person destroys their own system (Cirrhosis from drinking/psychotic ppl that hurt thenselver for attention) then they perhaps don't deserve to be here.

Originally posted by APE.
    So due to my genetic disease C.F. {Cystic Fibrosis} your saying I shouldn't deserve to have a chance to live?

Thanks;but I find this "idea" ignorant.I have fought all my life to live.Since birth I have thrived on beating what I have and continue to do so.I say if a person puts up a good fight and are willing to put up w/ the sacrifices of their own daily life {without putting them on others} they deserve every right to live.

People talkin' in this manner "Survival of the Fittest" mentality usually have nothing to complain about.They usually haven't had to fight to live.That is why I find this ignorant.

I wouldn't expect people like you to understand.

Now my feelings on self inflicted illness are diff.If a person destroys their own system (Cirrhosis from drinking/psychotic ppl that hurt thenselver for attention) then they perhaps don't deserve to be here.
    If you are able to overcome that challenge then you have every right to be alive. I'm not totally saying that everybody with a defect should be dead (we all would be dead if that were the case). What I'm saying is that, what if this genetic disease had been weeded out long ago? You wouldn't have had it. It wouldn't have been passed on.
    What is elite?

"Keeping those concepts in mind, do you think that advances in modern medicine, especially during the last century, is making the human population a weaker one, more susceptible to the very diseases/injuries/conditions we are treating ourselves for?"

No. The very thing that make us "fit" to keep people with minor diseases alive will allow us to survive.

Although if you watch a movie like Gattica you can see what would happen to a society that went the other direction
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

MACHINE
    Sorry for the miscommunication APE. The question is not whether one "deserves" treatment to live. The question is whether the treatment of those who would otherwise not make it is making the human race as a whole, weaker and more susceptible to those things we're treating. This doesn't even have to be disease related... What if a really stupid person(insert any idiot you know here) does something anyone with some brains and common sense wouldn't do and almost dies as a result - modern medicine saves his life. Then, that person procreates, passing his below average intellect on to his children - the cycle continues.
    Last edited by gino; 07-09-2003 at 10:15 AM.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE
    Originally posted by hemants

No. The very thing that make us "fit" to keep people with minor diseases alive will allow us to survive.

What about hereditary diseases?

It's a catch 22. The more treatments we have, the longer we survive - the longer we survive, the more treatments we need because our fathers and grandfathers were treated for the same thing. Thus creating a weaker race. How far can modern medicine progress? As fast as the viruses attacking us today?

How about obesity, cholesterol, and heart attacks? How successful would fast food joints and junk food be without treatments for those?

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I agree totally gino.

Unfortunately, its not really something we can do anything about due to social stigma.

But yes, the gene pool is getting quite filthy.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

The Darwin Awards are pretty good examples.

Here's another one.
    http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/928678.asp
    The children had been aware of the presence of at least one alligator during the day and had been throwing rocks at it. Griffin was swimming just after dusk, a prime feeding time, Pallitto said.
    What is elite?

Yeah. Stuff like that is kind of like a poor man's eugenics.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

MACHINE
    The fact that they killed a bunch of alligators for that is rediculous. Feed alligators and then swim next to them at their prime feeeding time and expect them to not do anything? Let that be a lesson to all of you viscious gators out there! Acting naturally, like a predatory alligator, will not be tolerated.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Especially after getting bombarded with rocks all day while you're trying to nap out in the sun. I don't understand. I wouldn't have gotten hostile.
    What is elite?

I agree Gino, I think the stupid gene has already been passed down through too many generations.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

The Nazis thought so.

Something to consider also: consider for a moment how many people died in infancy due to relatively minor illness prior to the invention of antibiotics, vaccines, etc. The majority of folks who are in favor of letting the weak die are usually healthy themselves. They (whether consciously or not) predicate their beliefs on the assumption that they would be alive. That is far from certain.

Also, natural selection does not necessarily select for the 'best' attributes, 'Survival of the fittest' is a misnomer and was not a term even coined by Darwin. People like to think of evolution as selecting for the 'best' attributes; the most fit individuals survive. But that's not really the case. Evolution merely selects for those traits most appropriate to survival of a given situation. Having the sickle-cell gene is great if you're in malaria-prone Africa and only have it on one side of your family. Not so great if both your parents carry it. Another example, Neaderthals were wonderfully adapted to cold climates present in Europe at one time. If the climate there had not warmed significantly, they would most likely never have become extinct. Similarly, if somehow the rest of the world had suffered some sort of cooling, Homo Sapiens could quite possibly been the species to suffer extincition.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

so basically, what B&I is saying is that gino is a nazi.

zieg heil.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Eugenics r0x0r. I think everyone should die except me and the hottest female in the world. Then we can repopulate the world with secsy and muscular people. I call this Religion, Bodybuildinanity.

In the nature I would not grow up or defiantely not mate, but I wont allow my self to have children, I dont have strong masculine features in my face, but more like puppy features, and that is really annoying.

But survival of the fittest is a theory that has been crushed many times, I saw program how weaker males got to mate while the bigger males didnt see, and this happend in like almost every mammal society.
    Last edited by Rock; 07-09-2003 at 02:42 PM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

MACHINE
    Originally posted by Rock

But survival of the fittest is a theory that has been crushed many times, I saw program how weaker males got to mate while the bigger males didnt see, and this happend in like almost every mammal society.
    Yes there are exceptions, but it doesn't get "crushed" by any stretch of the imagination. It just makes it slightly less than 100% effective for weeding out the weak/stupid

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Absolutely.

I should be dead.

I am not, and I plan on reproducing.

Just doing my part to condemn the human race to extinction at some point.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I look at it like this. Only the strong survive. We are the only living things on this earth with the capacity to develop things like medicine, life machines, things to keep us going longer. Is that really cheating death? Maybe

I look at some of the old people now a days and don't want to be like that. I really wonder sometimes what it was like dying in your 40s, like it used to be very long ago. I have thought this way since I was very young. I definitely don't want to live to be an old man, without the dignity to able to make it to the bathroom on time.

To answer your question , yes. But eventually, the dieseases will take over. Why? We are exhausting all of our resources on this earth. Eventually, there will be mass starvation and disease. Think of it, as a deal with the devil
    Last edited by Stabber; 07-09-2003 at 03:25 PM.
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret Iíve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years theyíve played

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    The Nazis thought so.

Something to consider also: consider for a moment how many people died in infancy due to relatively minor illness prior to the invention of antibiotics, vaccines, etc. The majority of folks who are in favor of letting the weak die are usually healthy themselves. They (whether consciously or not) predicate their beliefs on the assumption that they would be alive. That is far from certain.

Also, natural selection does not necessarily select for the 'best' attributes, 'Survival of the fittest' is a misnomer and was not a term even coined by Darwin. People like to think of evolution as selecting for the 'best' attributes; the most fit individuals survive. But that's not really the case. Evolution merely selects for those traits most appropriate to survival of a given situation.
    :withstupi

Yes, yes, yes. I love some of you guys. I don't have to take the time to explain anything because theres always someone to explain it so perfectly.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Originally posted by Tryska
    *thinks of pandas*

*has a coronary*

I think that we are interfering with nature's natural balance of life, which will thus lead to overpopulation and more George W. Bushs.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    Just doing my part to condemn the human race to extinction at some point.
    Priceless!

If not survival of the fittest then natural selection. Like B&I said that might not always be the fittest but you have to admit that it can weed out a few. I just think the world is a little overpopulated with humans and a little cleansing needs to be done. Lets wipe out a couple billion and call it a day.
    What is elite?