The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Success With Muscle Mag Routines

In a recent thread I got the hint that there was some negative vibes regarding the use of routines out of muscle magazines. It caught my attention because I'm currently using a powerlifting routine from a recent issue of Flex. This is the first time I've pulled a routine out of a magazine but so far my experience with it has been outstanding. I'm 6 weeks in to the 12 week program and I've already added roughly 7 lbs of mass and a great amount of strength as well. I attribute a lot of the success to my nutritional habits and sticking to the routine outlined by the article. The negative comments I heard pretty much alluded that those routines only work for those on AS or that the articles themselves were written by those without a clue and they were only there to fill space in the mag. So far I have to disagree to those statements. I think those articles can and will work if you pick the right one for yourself and as always, work hard and eat enough of the right things. I'm curious to hear about the success of others that have using muscle mag routines. Or even what others think about using them in general, positive or negative.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Show me what they gave you and I bet ten bucks I could make you something better without even thinking hard.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

You want the routine outline?

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Then again, what would be the point? You can show me a million routines or alterations of the one I'm doing but the fact is what I'm doing is working really well. So why knock it?

Because its fun.

The primary reason is because 99.9% of the routines you get out of any magazine (there's about three exceptions: PLUSA, Monster Muscle, and Pure Power) aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Just because you got lucky and found one that doesn't totally suck doesn't mean that you can categorically declare all workouts from the magazines to be glorious.

And no, I don't guess there's any need for an outline, since I can imagine they pretty much gave you the bread and butter 3-4 day periodized powerlifting routine that's been around for years.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Just because you got lucky and found one that doesn't totally suck doesn't mean that you can categorically declare all workouts from the magazines to be glorious.
    I absolutely agree with you there. And I guess my original post would have made it seem as if I was glorifying them all

I know my body pretty well and what works for it. So I didn't just pick the first routine I came across. I went through a handfull out of a number of magazines and this is one I felt would work for me. And it has. I think it would be stupid for somebody to just pick something out of a magazine or start a workout that somebody told them about without thinking it through. It would be a great way to waste a few months in the gym. But the routine I'm doing is working really well for me. And even if it is some standard routine that's been around for years, I didn't know about it until I read it in Flex. So it was very valuable to me.

I've gotten mag routines to work but that was when I was new and starting out. Newbie gains. Doesn't mean that its the best way to train but doesn't mean its completely wrong either. If it work, it works.

Was it really necessary to post it twice though?
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=34136

What is the routine btw?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

The double post was an accident. I tried to delete it but it wouldn't let me.

It's the 12 week powerlifting routine in the June '03 issue of Flex.

No worries. I don't think it lets you delete new threads but you can delete posts within a thread. Some boards let you do that I believe.

Lets just say that I'm a bit lazy (hypothetically of course) and I'm not going to go look up the June '03 issue of Flex. Maybe you'd be so kind as to give me the general highlights of it.
    What is elite?

Ahh yes

The main exercises, Deads, Squats and DB Presses are 6 sets with the weight increasing each set. All other exercises consist of 5 sets keeping the weight the same.

The first 4 weeks are 4 days on and 3 off.

Day 1 works Thighs and Hamstrings.
    Day 2 works Chest and Calves.
    Day 3 is a rest day.
    Day 4 works Back and Traps.
    Day 5 works Delts and Arms.
    Days 6 and 7 are rest days.

The next 3 weeks consist of the same exercises but you drop the sets from 10-12 reps to 8 reps per set.

The next 3 weeks you keep the same routine but drop only the compound exercises to 6 reps per set and increase the speed of the reps slightly.

During the final 2 weeks you do only Deads, Squats and Bench Presses. You do six sets for each and the rep count goes: 8, 6, 6, 3, 3, 6. And there's a few different directions they give for each set.

Now this is the routine that's outlilned but at the end my chest routine I do a few sets of cable flys because my chest is lagging. I also do a few extra sets for bis and tris just because they aren't really a main focus for powerlifting routines and I just don't want to fall behind. But the extra sets are done after the specified routine has been completed.

Thanks!

It looks pretty similar to the routine I've been doing for a while just periodized. Definitely one of the better routines posted in those magazines then. Not becaue I'm biased about my routine or nothing.
    What is elite?

I really like the way they've got the different body parts split up. I think I'll hang on to that part of the routine when it's over.