The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: q

SLOW RIDE

q

at my gym there is this 42yo guy jim who goes there 3-4 days a week, for around 1-2hrs at atime. he just wants to tone and loose the belly fat, he is around 9-12%bf. he lifts weights, light weight ie 95lbbench, 50lb barbell curl etc, and does cardio i think 2-3 times a week varyin from 10-30min at a time. he says he takes weight gainer and protein. and take in mind he doesnt eat alot and nor has the time or crap hehe.

my theory is that he should eat maybe more and cut out the weight gainer? and maybe train with higher reps? he wants to cut the belly fat out btw. thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I suck w/diet but I do know that he should NOT lift light weights/high reps. He should do a normal routine, lift heavy, and try to progress each week.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

How is he getting his bf%? Because around 9-12% he won't have hardly any flab on him anywhere.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

SLOW RIDE
    home- the onlypart that has fat on him is his ass hehe i think, and his belly, no whereeelse. and not really fat, just some blubber.

y2a- he says this everytime i tell him to lift more
    "i dont need to be huge, when u get older you will realize that"

some guys are just stubborn!

so whats ur best hypo to get thisnerd going

Re: q

Originally posted by ITHURTZ
    my theory is that he should eat maybe more and cut out the weight gainer?
    Well he needs to eat less cals in general to lose weight, but not at the expense of his post workout shake. Kepp the post workout carbs and protein and slowly cut cals from other meals, but this is assuming that he is taking in adequate protein and EFAs.

and maybe train with higher reps?
    No need to change routines, and as has already been mentioned just focus on progressing/maintaining his current strength level.

To really give better suggestions we would need more information about his diet, but that should get you in the right direction.

why is he takin a weight gainer if he wants to lose weight. jus take normal protein shakes and eat leaner
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Originally posted by JHolmes145
    why is he takin a weight gainer if he wants to lose weight. jus take normal protein shakes and eat leaner
    A weight gainer could still be used post workout for carbs and protein, although you might not want to use a whole serving. Most weight gainers are just protein and malto which would be fine post workout.

I'd question how he has a 95 lb bench and a 50 lb curl
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

SLOW RIDE
    50lb curl with a barbell combined? eh not that great!