The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Need Help gaining weight

I am 5'11" 155lbs and about 7-8%BF (last time I had my bf% taken was a year and half ago....i was 140lb and 5.7%bf). I want to get to about 170-175lbs and stay in the same body fat area of 7-8%.

I've been working out seriously for about a year now. Ive been trying to gain muscle and weight, and have been doing ok. I took creatine about 3 months ago for 2 weeks, and I ended up getting a really bad sinus infection which put me out of working out for a month, and I stopped taking creatine right away after i got sick. I gained 5lbs in those 2 weeks and was happy but lost the weight and more, and the strength i had built up for the past few months. Finally I have reached the weight that I was lifting when I was on creatine and back up to my weight that I was at. Right now, my diet really isnt consistent. I just try to eat healthy all day long. I wake up, eat a light breakfast (i.e. eggs/toast, or cereal, or a bagel and cream cheese)...go work out (I usually workout 2 days on, 1 day off....but have started working out 3 days on, 1 day off), come home and drink a protein shake after I have a pretty good sized lunch, and eat/snack throughout the rest of the day/night and have a pretty good sized dinner. Ive basically just tried to gain strength through working out, but now I want to really incorporate my diet into my working out routines.

My workouts basically consist of 4 exercises for each muscle group. My first set I try to get 10-12, barely making 10, but pushing for 12. My second I do the same but 8-10 reps, and my 3rd, I try to get 6-8, but sometimes I fall short with only 4 reps.
    I work out Chest (day1)...back and shoulders (day2)....bi's and tri's (day3)....day off.

Well, if there are any more questions that I could answer to help you guys give me any advise, please post them.. Thanks in advance for any tips/advise!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Need Help gaining weight

Originally posted by i3oca
    I am 5'11" 155lbs and about 7-8%BF (last time I had my bf% taken was a year and half ago....i was 140lb and 5.7%bf). I want to get to about 170-175lbs and stay in the same body fat area of 7-8%.
    You should expect to see some fat gain when trying to gain weight, but if you monitor your diet and concentrate on gaining at a slow weight you can help minimize the amount of bf that you gain.

Right now, my diet really isnt consistent. I just try to eat healthy all day long. I wake up, eat a light breakfast (i.e. eggs/toast, or cereal, or a bagel and cream cheese)...go work out (I usually workout 2 days on, 1 day off....but have started working out 3 days on, 1 day off), come home and drink a protein shake after I have a pretty good sized lunch, and eat/snack throughout the rest of the day/night and have a pretty good sized dinner. Ive basically just tried to gain strength through working out, but now I want to really incorporate my diet into my working out routines.
    Well you should try and get ~1g of protein per lb. of bw, and ~25% of your daily cals from fat. Most of your fat should come from healthy sources so as to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts of EFAs in your diet. Some good protein sources would include lean beef, eggs/egg whites, poultry, fish, and dairy products. As far as healthy fats go some good choices are things like fish oil, olive oil, flax oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc. The rest of your daily cals can be filled in with carbs.

To determine your daily calorie intake, just slowly increase cals in small increments each week until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week (~.5lb). You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals.

The addition of some carbs to your post workout shake would also be beneficial, which would help replenish muscle glycogen after training.

I work out Chest (day1)...back and shoulders (day2)....bi's and tri's (day3)....day off.
    While you might want to check out the training forum, but IMO you need more recovery time than what you have outlined above. Remember muscles grow outside of the gym not in the gym.

Welcome to WBB
    Last edited by bradley; 07-11-2003 at 02:38 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you for the information. One question though, what does EFAs stand for?

Originally posted by i3oca
    Thank you for the information. One question though, what does EFAs stand for?
    Essential Fatty Acid