The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MmmMm.. Roll...

Damnit - I can't get a direct answer anywhere.

1. Is that guy (pictured above) using 'roids?

2. When you guys say "buffed" or whatever, do you mean competition-style or just really-strong style.
    Weight : 340 [225]
    Bodyfat: 42.3% [10.0%]
    Height: 6'5

Check out my workout blog: link
    What did I eat today? FitDay

Steroids

No Steroids

Last edited by harryhoudini66; 07-11-2003 at 08:23 PM.

Overtrainer.
    Good point houdini.

My ex girlfriend didnt like me doing weights because she didnt like the way people like ronnie coleman and yatesy above look.

I was like I wish just doing what im doing would make me that big. People think Yates and Arny just fell out of bed, did a few curls and became the monsters that they are. People are stupid.

Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    People are stupid.
    The secret to understanding human nature right there.

Soca King
    Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    People are stupid.
    Jesus,you people must meet some very idiotic people.

My dad knows nothing about weightlifting/bodybuilding.And even he knows that you don't lift weights for a few months and look buffed.

And the people I know,they don't look at Ronnie Coleman and think that he doesn't train hard,they see someone who's taking steroids.No one IMHO is that stupid that they'll believe that looking good is easy

I usually try and get the people who think that to come with me to the gym and actually see how much hard work it is.

What pisses me off is when my flat m8 says "So when you gonna become Mr Buff?" as if I go to sleep and wake up with 21" biceps.

Pffft. I wish

Originally posted by technogeeky
    I don't want to look like someone in a magazine. I want to look like this .

Is that attainable without the 'roids?
    YES, definately.

I love how the guy put the black circle over the back of his head on one picture. Like the back of his head would give himself away.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Thankfully, I don't run into people very often who "don't want to get big." Maybe I don't hang around enough people, I dunno. But my new line for girls who say that is, "Can you point out a woman who got HUGE by lifting weights, without taking steroids?" I mean, even those women BBers who manage to put on a lot of size come nowhere close to the hugeness of modern male BBers.

this morning I woke up and as I was looking into the mirror I thought to myself , 'da*n, I just got too big'
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Banned
    I don't want to be "big". I don't diet to be "big". I don't train to be "big". I work out and "diet" to stay healthy and because both of my parents are overweight. I do not want genetics to condemn me to obesity.

Wannabebig Member
    I definitely want to be big, but I still want to be athletic....you know what I mean? I want to be able to move...

My strength has gone up bigtime this summer...well, let me rephrase that - my Benchpress has...I think it's one of those things where I was already fairly strong, I just wasn't used to benching....so it took a while for me to get into the groove. When I first started benching my wrists and palms hurt-so, I spent a month doing tons of reps at lower weights, and slowly increasing each week on my last set of benchpresses.

I definitely feel so much better than I did when I started several months ago. I'm going to start cutting on September 1st, so we'll see what I wind up with. My short term goal is 250 lbs., and then my next goal is 225lb. Eventually, I want to get to around 7% (or lower) body fat....I want that ripped washboard ab look...I want the full sixpack, instead of looking like I drank a 6-pack!(daily)

Tim

The simple answer is yes.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    So if I take steroids I'm going to look like Dorian Yates?

Sign me up!

Ok, everybody out of the pool.

Very true, but also old

Wannabebig Member
    "I don't want to get big I just want to tone up" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

My favourite is when know nothings comment on the fact that I've been training for a few years and don't look like Arnie yet so I must be doing it wrong. Kill, Destroy, mutilate!

Or when people think I'm weird cos I don't eat a load of **** all day long or the fact that instead of moaning about my appearance I have actually decided to do something about improving it, then they think that its driven by vanity. God if I was vain I would already think I looked great so would never have started training in the first place.

Cortisol release imminent, cannot stop release of Cortisol, Arrrhhhhh!!

Good post. (First one.)

Stupid advertising and silly populace.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    So many ppl are so ignorant its untrue,

Im not open about my weigthlifting (cos ppl would prob laff) but i eat really healthy (and hell of a lot) and im under so much pressure from colleagues and m8s to BE NORMAL and not eat fish bread and fruit most meals.

People think im mad cos i dont eat sweets chocolate, fast food and the fact that i gave up alcohol over a year ago.
    These are my life choices, and tbh all my cravings for all of that crap vanished last year, i cant eat sweet food cos it makes me feel rough after like half a chocolate bar.

These ppl will never lose their gut, or fat asses or gain 30lbs of muscle. If i wasnt so strong willed the pressure to BE NORMAL would have me on the road to my old fast food, chocolate and lager diet that kept me skinny for years.

Im so glad ive taken responsibilty for my health and basic physical conditioning, and whats more eductaed myself about my body.

I agree with everyones comments about these myths!

My mum = 41 and getting fatter every day, she wont listen to my advice about training and diet.

She...
    -doesnt want to EAT 6 times a day (small meals)
    -doesnt like running/exercise
    -wont give up 8 cups of tea a day (english tea with lots of caffeine and sugar etc)
    -believes her old HEALTH-RIDER will come in handy for shedding those pounds! (she wont sell it!)
    - WONT LIFT WEIGHTS COS SHE'LL BULK UP

So i cant help her.

These ppl dont want to be helped unless its EASY for them, (atkins diet lol NO EXERCISE! just eat meat and fat!)

Lets just forget about the lazy ones, hopefully they'll all die soon and the world population will level out meaning theyll be more food for me to bulk on!
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Oh I love the Atkins dieters. Now there's a nice diet if you want to restrict your diet to lose 5 lbs in 3 months. People need to stop looking for quick fix diets and stop being lazy. There's no miracle diet that allows you to eat how you want, not exercise and lose weight.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Hehe yeah, What tim said. :P

Seriously though. I see people on these diets that still eat regular crap. lol its too funny. I actually saw a friend eat a donut(thats right.. He put the S&^% in his mouth and ATE IT), and then grab a low-carb protein bar to try to cancel out the donut. I was gonna either backhand him and save half a donut from going to his gut, or induce vomiting but i was too late.
    Needless to say he only works-out once ot twice a week and eats garbage. His Buff-factor is now in the double-digit negatives.

Let me stfu already. Like tim said above in short theres no magic pill. Peeps need to eat right and get their ass to a gym. (2hr/day minimum)
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Great post ElP. I've kinda pretty much given up on changing my physical appearance as far as size goes. It's just too much work on the food end and I just don't have that kind of time to worry about it. I'm also just not that dedicated to it. I working more on my strength in general and if I get some shape out of it...cool.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I'd like to think you're preaching to the choir here El P.

It's just ignorance - the average joe associates large muscles with weight training, not with diet or everything else that goes into bodybuilding.
    Last edited by aidano; 10-20-2003 at 11:56 AM.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Love the post..i know its an old one but i clicked on your link...i dont want to get Huge i want to becaome healthy and live to see my daughter go to college and become a woman. At the rate i was going i wouldn't even see her go to high school

Ahhh...I remember this.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WestyHeadbanger
    People are stupid.
    Yeah I remember when I started lifting for a couple months and people that don't even work out and look skinny as hell and don't know nothing about weight lifting we're telling me I don't look like I weightlift because I don't look "buff", making it seem like weightlifting for a couple weeks and you should look like the next arnold