The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Ahhh...I remember this.

Yup, it was a great post
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Silly question of the day: will someone pls explain to me why "dumbbell kickbacks" are dumb?

Btw, I don't do them. I just want an explanation, iz all.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

I was given an one hour golf lesson with a local golf pro so today I went for my lesson. As he was showing me how to drive, I said " Excuse me, I dont want to be able to hit this golf bar very far"

then...

I met with my accountant-we discussed last years numbers and he asked me about 05. I told him I did not want to make too much of a profit this year.

after that...

I helped my daughter with her homework. I made her only complete 80% of the questions because I did not want her to get too high of a grade.

followed by...

I took a shower, but only used soap on the front part of the body as I did not want to get too clean.

great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    Silly question of the day: will someone pls explain to me why "dumbbell kickbacks" are dumb?

Stash
    To me they are very similar to pissing in the wind.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Ok,

The amount of work you have to put in, slow metabolism or not, to achieve significant gains in muscle mass, is huge. So if you think you go to the gym and god forbid, put the pin in the stack one plate heavier, you are going to turn into godzilla, think again. You may get stronger, you may reap the rewards of lifting heavier weights in a progressive fashion can give you, but you will not all of a sudden get big.

Think of building a house, and all that goes into such an endeavour. This is the same as building your body. Lifting is a requirement yes, is lifting heavy, or extremely heavy a requirement? Not really. Continuous lifting, and fatigue, along with eating a diet with a decent macronutrient breakdown, of above maintenance calories, and plenty of sleep, and recovery time, are all key components of "getting big."

This is good. Still trying to compose some reply thoughts, but for the moment, this is good El Pietro. Pumping iron is a tough, unfair, demanding life chore that in a twisted way, you gotta love and commit to in order to see results.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 01-17-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Great Thread Pietro!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Thanks guys, good to see some bumpage on this, even if it pertains to kickbacks.

Ironrelic, I edited your post, was difficult to read where the quote ended and your comments begans, as the [/quote] tag was missing.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 01-17-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70

Stash
    Here's the physiological basis for why kickbacks are stupid:
    You're doing a movement for triceps that requires you to use your shoulder to statically hold your upper arm in place. There are movements, like cable pressdowns, that are basically identical as far as the tricep motion is concerned, and remove the need for shoulder stabilization. This allows you to use better form, more weight, and eliminates the shoulder stress.

Additionally, there are many better tricep exercises, in terms of efficiency, strength building, and hypertrophy, than either kickbacks or pressdowns.

What a timely bump. I worked out with my gf for the first time yesterday and this exact topic came up. And she did tricep kickbacks. I told her I would go to my favorite lifting site and find some proof for her. Glad to see WBB is still keeping up the quality. Now I just need to find that website for women weightlifting with the good exercise explanations.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChase
    Now I just need to find that website for women weightlifting with the good exercise explanations.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Nice thread EP, good to see

I can see how the general training population think that they out to just suddenly 'blow-up' when training, they'd be right if they took Paul Dillet as an example. But for the majority its about consistent adherance to diet, training, rest etc... over a period of 5+yrs (depending on genetics and whether AAS is used)in order to create a gargantuan physique.

Rome wasn't built in a day!!!
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Here's the physiological basis for why kickbacks are stupid:
    You're doing a movement for triceps that requires you to use your shoulder to statically hold your upper arm in place. There are movements, like cable pressdowns, that are basically identical as far as the tricep motion is concerned, and remove the need for shoulder stabilization. This allows you to use better form, more weight, and eliminates the shoulder stress.

Additionally, there are many better tricep exercises, in terms of efficiency, strength building, and hypertrophy, than either kickbacks or pressdowns.
    like what? skullkrushers? close-grip bench?

lj

**** is real
    Quote Originally Posted by Exnor
    I usually try and get the people who think that to come with me to the gym and actually see how much hard work it is.

What pisses me off is when my flat m8 says "So when you gonna become Mr Buff?" as if I go to sleep and wake up with 21" biceps.

Pffft. I wish
    i hate people who talk like that
    at lunch i'll be eating tuna or something high in protein and one of my idiot friends will be like "are you huge yet!?", in a stupid sarcastic manner. i wouldn't mind someone that was actually pretty big to say something like that, since they'd just be showing off and it'd be funny, but this kid is about 5 foot 11 and 120lbs. i hear his max bench is 60lbs lmao. and he thinks he's stronger than me still...riiiight
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Wannabebig Member
    yeah i know who your talking about those "i just want to be "tone" " fukking lil wimps. lifting weights, even really heavy(naturally) will NOT make you look like this http://www.steelfitness.com/beta/pho...n/ronnie01.jpg
    http://www.promuscleonline.com/images/athletes/AC3.jpg

will lifting heavy weights and taking a high amount of steroids make you look like that? yes. but hey thats why were all on this site, to look like that
    Last edited by Trash; 03-16-2005 at 07:01 PM.
    Rayshaun "Trash" Jones

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoDude
    like what? skullkrushers? close-grip bench?

lj
    I like between-bench dips with a couple of plates on my lap,

or dumbbell triceps extensions:

Quote Originally Posted by zer06ame
    i hate people who talk like that
    at lunch i'll be eating tuna or something high in protein and one of my idiot friends will be like "are you huge yet!?", in a stupid sarcastic manner. i wouldn't mind someone that was actually pretty big to say something like that, since they'd just be showing off and it'd be funny, but this kid is about 5 foot 11 and 120lbs. i hear his max bench is 60lbs lmao. and he thinks he's stronger than me still...riiiight
    just go and kick his ass, man.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Read! Now!

*grunt*

Current FFFA Enforcer

Nice post, i know its way old but im kinda new here. Im glad theres all these people out there that arnt stupid and actually know what there talking about. I needed to find the light and i finally did WBB.
    Thanks guys!

This thread is halirous... kids that have gone through school with me have accused me of juiceing. I remember that when I was in 8th grade I was like 205lbs, then in 10th grade I was like 255-260 and a good deal of it was leaner weight (Id say half) and my strength noticably went up. The skinny wrestlers accused me of juicing and always told me that I was only strong because I was so heavy.

I always thought people that said that were crazy. I want to be fairly big and it takes time and hell alot of effort.

True dat brotha, I think if I could drop about 40-50lbs of fat that I would look pretty big. I wana drop down to the 225-230 range and then bulk cleanly up to about 265-270 and then the smallest cut down to about 250-255. I hope I could be lean at 240 or so.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    This thread is my hero.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

awesome post
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

i wanna get big but it's not happening
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

eat more.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!